IGNORED

Listening to advice from a higher handicap

TN94z
Note: This thread is 2512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Any handicap has the ability to offer up positive information. Perhaps they learned something that a lower handicap can use, but has not heard about yet.

I myself am pretty set in my ways with regards to my golf swing. However, I am always continuing to look for new info that might help me. I don't really care where it comes from. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think the best advice I've had came  from my gf....she was riding with me in the cart as an observer. Once after an errant tee shot, she exclaimed "Why don't you just hit it straight ?"  Now why didn't "I" think of that? what made it so funny, was she said it with a straight face.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

8 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I my experience better players give shitty advice about golf swings, anyway. You probably get better advice from a 20 handicap that you would me. 

ha ha, is that what they call a "Faldoism" ?

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

13 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I my experience better players give shitty advice about golf swings, anyway. You probably get better advice from a 20 handicap that you would me. 

Not quite true. I've gotten pretty good advice in your healing lounge. ;-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

2 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Not quite true. I've gotten pretty good advice in your healing lounge. ;-)

Stay strong! Go for the gusto! 

8 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

ha ha, is that what they call a "Faldoism" ?

Are those like Yogisms? 

18 hours ago, iacas said:

I don't listen to advice from anyone without putting it through my fairly extensive mental flow chart.

Definitely second this.  If I'm asking questions or soliciting advice in an online arena like TST, I'll certainly give consideration to anyone who genuinely takes the time to offer help, tips, etc.  Personally, I'd feel downright rude/stupid if I wrote someone off just because of a handicap number when I'm the one who put the question out there...especially when some of you guys have been playing golf longer than I've been alive :-D.

In person is more of a case-by-case for me.  Received great putting advice from an older gentleman a few years ago who couldn't break 100 on his best day.  However, he watched me 3-putt a few greens on the front 9, casually pulled me aside on the back and talked about how to recognize the grain & how it affects speed...huge help.  On the other hand, unsolicited advice from strangers on the driving range usually goes in one ear and out the other.

Edited by Let it Fly

- Bill

(edited)
8 minutes ago, Let it Fly said:

especially when some of you guys have been playing golf longer than I've been alive :-D.

In person is more of a case-by-case for me.  Received great putting advice one time from an older gentleman a few years ago who couldn't break 100 on his best day.  However, he watched me 3-putt a few greens on the front 9, casually pulled me aside on the back and talked about how to recognize the grain & how it affects speed...huge help.  On the other hand, unsolicited advice from strangers on the driving range usually goes in one ear and out the other.

That doesn't make me feel old at all...haha! 

I can remember playing with a couple of guys (one who was lucky to break 100 and sliced like crazy) and during the round, I just started hitting the ball like crap. I was diagnosing my swing and could not figure out what I was doing. The guy that couldn't break 100 came up and said, "man, it looks like your tempo is way off and you are bringing your head up to see where the ball is going before making contact."  I took his advice into consideration, and sure enough...I had increased my swing speed trying to kill the ball for whatever reason and just did not feel it happening. When I am in a funk, I will for sure take anyone's advice as long as it's not a fundamental swing change they are suggesting. But I say that with the thinking that I know enough about the swing now to seemingly know good advice from bad.

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

I'll listen to what someone tells me with an open mind.  If it makes sense to me, with my swing, maybe I can use that info (in part or whole).  If it doesn't, it didn't hurt me to be courteous, I don't HAVE to do it.  Fortunately, there a good crowd here to run stuff by.  I like to mess around with it, I learn more that way.

And, fortunately, I hope I've learned enough to tell the good from the bad - it was a long journey.

(and I don't care how good or bad they are, I won't let them overdo it.  If they do, I'll just tell them I'm full and to 'stop it'

The other thing when sharing info, unless it's something easy to apply, 'stuff' to try should be at the range.  So I'll ask them to show me after the round at the range.  If they are sincere and not just blowing air, they'll come to the range with me. 

ditto if I'm offering help - I'll say I think I can help, but want to wait until later, not during a round - then they can decide if the want it or not.....)

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

19 hours ago, colin007 said:

Just keep your head down, you'll be alright.

11 hours ago, nevets88 said:

You should see the advice dispensed on reddit. Not that there isn't good advice from a few people, but a lot of it is confusing and wall of text, you'll get downvoted for saying keep your head down is generally bad advice. 

You're welcome. :)

In a word to the OP, yes.  I never listen to anything those 40+ indexers have to say. ;-)

Seriously, though, for someone like me who is a fan of the game, has no athletic ability, and one day hopes to play more, even I am careful about who I listen to for swing advice, as we all should be.  That's why I like this site - it generally promotes very very good knowledge, backed up by data, on the subject, and doesn't put up with poseurs.

I definitely look not only at the index, but also the username of the person commenting to see if I remember them.  It's part of the trust equation.  That said, I don't disregard advice outright, I do process it.  It's just that the source is a consideration.

I generally am only a reader of the advice, not a giver.  I can tell someone what works for me.  Teaching golf should really be reserved for the professionals, and then only a handful of them.  I do like to participate in the Q&A surrounding a topic to ensure complete understanding when a trusted instructor weighs in.

I abhor getting advice from a stranger on the range, or a playing partner.  Because I suck and am generally a friendly guy, I'm an advice magnet.  However, if I want your advice, I'll ask for it.  Otherwise, let me work it out on my own, and pretend you didn't see my umpteenth mishit.  You may not believe this, but even though after years of playing bad golf, I still love it and just want to have a good time out there.

Edited by wannabe

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

8 minutes ago, TN94z said:

When I am in a funk, I will for sure take anyone's advice as long as it's not a swing change they are suggesting.

I've only been on TST for a year or so, but from my experience, the vast majority of advice I see in the Member Swing threads is very well thought out, specific, and articulate...from lower and higher handicaps alike.  Very rarely have I come across short snippets that just say "do X, or don't do Y" without an explanation of "why and how" attached to it.  It's one of the main reasons I joined.

Edited by Let it Fly

- Bill

Nah... my index is 13.2 at the moment (trending lower) and I probably know FAR LESS than a lot of people that are in the 18 - 22 range.  

If I post a question and someone replies... I take the time to read it and attempt to process it.  

My 'knowledge' of the golf swing is basically just "hit the thing with the other thing while trying to get the thing into the small, round thing" if I'm being honest.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

In response to the original post, I'll admit it, I do take into consideration the individuals posted index when I read through the forum responses.  Not that I ignore others, but I tend to focus on those replies from people who are around my own handicap figuring they are probably going through the same things I am for the most part.

Here's one bit of advice that I think is good. Please stop ricocheting the ball into my stall.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

2 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Here's one bit of advice that I think is good. Please stop ricocheting the ball into my stall.

Sounds scary...haha.   Reminds me of Tin Cup... "Anyone see who hit that?"

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

I tend to smile, nod politely, and then continue on my way.

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

jmo,  a lot of the time someone who is good at a sport : bowling, golf, baseball, basketball and so on, gets coached by someone who has played their sport and is skilled but maybe did quiet have the skill to stay in the pro's, but obviously has the eye's to notice stuff and has the knowledge on what to do to help a person..  

two weeks ago while at the driving range, a guy next to me is hitting some balls and watches me hit a few balls, actually asked me to give him lessons cuz my swing looked so good.... and i was like i dont think i'd take lessons from me lol.. and i was being serious..    but after watching him try to hit the ball i was like ok... try this...   and gave him a couple of pointers..  and all of a sudden he was hitting the ball straighter and farther than he said he ever had been....... LOL       but i did tell him to watch The Golf Fix, and look up Micheal Breed and watch his videos..      

It is what it is

Note: This thread is 2512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!