IGNORED

Hioism - The Philosophy of Golf

Par123
Note: This thread is 2548 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

11 hours ago, Par123 said:

Yes, that is my website. Because of the reasons I stated above I created a "religion" (more of a philosophy with some fun back stories thrown in) using the ethics and spirit of golf as a model for your life and your attitudes and actions towards others.

Sounds good to me. That if we skip going to church to play golf on Sunday we are covered.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Seems to me golf has always evoked spiritual themes. It just can't help it. Mike Linder, Play It As It Lies: Golf and the Spiritual Life; Scott Peck, Golf and the Spirit. And of course Q School and Golf in the Kingdom.

Golf has pointed out to me some of my character habits...presumption, impatience, inattention to others, and the like. Maybe the best lesson was that I don't or can't control everything that's happening on the course or in my golf shot. But I learned those lessons on the street, too, and at home, in the military, in church, etc.

Nevertheless, all such things are among the many reasons, physical and spiritual, why golf is so enjoyable and why I can't ever quit it. -Marv

• Upvote 1

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As I just said in the Weird thread, playing golf is the most embarrassing situation you could ever get yourself into. Either you quit, or you keep charging on.

I don't want to quit. I'll issue more time to practice and play.

And then there is the spiritual side of the game - that I can attest to having experienced. It's the mental 'deep end of the pool'. The Shivas side of the game.

• Upvote 1

Yes it can change the way you live. I've taken flexibility, conditioning and diet more seriously since I've been playing and making an effort to improve my game

On 4/7/2017 at 7:23 PM, Par123 said:

I noticed that there were many aspects of golf that related to every day life. The values, ethics, morals, and general uniqueness of Golf translate very well to life and the decisions, actions, and paths we take in life. Golf takes patience. Hard work. Dedication. It cant be perfected. It gives us choices and rewards us for the right ones while punishing us for the bad decisions. At times it's the most frustrating thing and at others its the most gratifying.

Because of these reasons, and many others, I created Hioism. It is a way to bring the aspects and attitude of golf to situations in your life to gain happiness, relaxation, and purpose, just like on the golf course.

On 4/7/2017 at 7:51 PM, Gator Hazard said:

Absolutely it can. Lessons in humility come to mind as well as many other benefits. 

On 4/7/2017 at 10:30 PM, gregsandiego said:

I'm surprised no one has questioned this yet. You created Hioism? Is this your website?

http://hioism.com/introduction.html

On 4/8/2017 at 10:18 AM, Par123 said:

Yes, that is my website. Because of the reasons I stated above I created a "religion" (more of a philosophy with some fun back stories thrown in) using the ethics and spirit of golf as a model for your life and your attitudes and actions towards others.

I think if someone is new to golf and starts to really learn to play, then it does tend to affect the way they might react to things in other aspects of life.

OTOH, if you're that guy who thinks he should be good at something he doesn't understand, then your personality will be revealed. However, I think if you "give yourself up to golf" in a sense and just play the ball as it lies, it could change you.

I know that I've changed a lot once I gave up on trying to control how I play the game, because I can't.

Guessing type A personalities have more trouble with golf than other types? Once a type A realizes that they're whatever they are and play accordingly, things tend to smooth out. If that's "Hioism", then I guess I think it happens to golfers as they improve. Or maybe the other way around?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Golf didn't change the way I live, but it has helped me to better understand life:

You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots, but you have to play the ball where it lies.” – Bobby Jones

17 hours ago, pushdraw12 said:

Golf taught me the most addicting thing in the world is improvement. 

Excellent post.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I dont apply moral affirmations to golf. Scores of golfers are complete assholes. For every romanticized Bobby Jones version of the morally upstanding ethical golfer, there are one or even two Judge Smails types. But with the right attitude, i think golf can be a game that can bring you enjoyment and better health throughout an entire life. I'll be playing the game until i cant walk any longer. Don't care if i shoot 200. 

2 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I dont apply moral affirmations to golf. Scores of golfers are complete assholes. For every romanticized Bobby Jones version of the morally upstanding ethical golfer, there are one or even two Judge Smails types. 

That's probably because there are that many more people who play bad and think they play good. :-D

2 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

But with the right attitude, i think golf can be a game that can bring you enjoyment and better health throughout an entire life. I'll be playing the game until i cant walk any longer. Don't care if i shoot 200. 

I actually see more of these types at my home course than the type A player you described above.

It seems like Type A personalities will always have more trouble improving to a certain level than people who just enjoy playing? IDK, if this extends all the way to the pros? Seems like they are focused but still have fun just playing?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

3 hours ago, Lihu said:

That's probably because there are that many more people who play bad and think they play good. :-D

I actually see more of these types at my home course than the type A player you described above.

It seems like Type A personalities will always have more trouble improving to a certain level than people who just enjoy playing? IDK, if this extends all the way to the pros? Seems like they are focused but still have fun just playing?

Indeed. Maybe its just the crowds of golfers i tend to run in. Guys who shoot under par maybe two or three times a year and think they should be on tour. But the guys that really burn your ass are the ones like you mentioned. Easy going players who just like to play. Combine that attitude with skill and you have a golfer that probably empties out a lot of wallets. 

I wrote a topic recently about Hioism. A religion that was started largely because of the belief that the morality, honesty, and overall experience that golf provides, translates well to ones life and the decisions or situation they find themselves in. I loved reading the comments about how people felt about this connection. About golf bringing out the positive qualities in people and about a general spirituality and calm that golf provides that is difficult, if not impossible, to find anywhere else.

I would love to hear stories from anyone who both agrees and disagrees that golf indeed has a spiritual side that can teach lessons about life, or at the very least, bring about the necessary relaxation that leads to positive attitudes and a deeper understanding of what is important in life.

I'm guessing you don't want to hear about club throwing, tantrums over missed putts, fights over pace of play, drunks in carts damaging the course, etc... The other situations that can be found so often on a golf course that would tend to negate much of the "necessary relaxation that leads to positive attitudes and a deeper understanding of what is important in life"...

;-) 

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

34 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I'm guessing you don't want to hear about club throwing, tantrums over missed putts, fights over pace of play, drunks in carts damaging the course, etc... The other situations that can be found so often on a golf course that would tend to negate much of the "necessary relaxation that leads to positive attitudes and a deeper understanding of what is important in life"...

;-) 

Haha yes, I was talking about the less frustrating part of golf. Of course when we are talking about how golf translates to life, then yes, life can be infuriating and disheartening and full of tantrums and throwing stuff. But the only way you will play (live) well is to fix your mistakes, your attitude, and figure out how to turn everything around. Get back on the right path. 

What do I count on when I need a little help? I count on friends, family, barbeques, music, hobbies, and anything that can clear my mind and get me thinking a little straighter again. One of those activities is golf. Golf is very unique. It’s fun, relaxing, and rewarding, while at the same time, being difficult and frustrating. It’s an escape. You have time to just unwind, relax, drink, and be on one of the most beautiful things on earth; a golf course.

Probably the most important characteristic of golf is the fact that it can’t be perfected. This characteristic makes it a perfect metaphor for life. You can work constantly to perfect your game, but it’s impossible. The only thing you can hope to accomplish is that with time, hard work, devotion, and practice, you can slowly improve a little more each day until you get to a point you are happy with. And one of the most important characteristics about a golfer, that ties perfectly into the metaphor for life, is that when you do get to that point, it is still not good enough. You can always improve. You can always do something a little different, or take a different approach. Do you work around the fairway, or cut through the trees? Do you take the almost impossible shot at the green, or lay it up short so you have an easier second shot? Do you try to hit it out of the badger hole or do you take a drop? These are your choices you will have to make and you won’t know until you make them if they were the right or wrong choice. If it was the right choice, use it again next game. If it was the wrong choice, you can learn from it, move on, and ultimately, making the wrong choice once in a while will improve your game. The same concept goes for the decisions you make in life.

I am not, or at least I hope that I am not, the only one who has seen how many lessons taken from golf can relate to our everyday lives. How we can use golf to make our lives better for ourselves, our friends, our families, and complete strangers. These reasons are why I created Hioism. Just like golf, Hioism is supposed to be entertaining while you learn about this practice. It is not meant to directly and perfectly relate to every aspect of every person’s lives; just as how every person does not golf the same. Hioism teaches how to translate the decisions, ethics, persistence, patience, and attitudes in golf to your life to reach happiness and enrich your life, and the lives of those around you.

I've noticed golf has the characteristics to make it a full metaphor for life. The holes representing each stage you go through. The decisions you make impacting the future, while at the same time getting the chance to have a fresh start or at least redeem yourself as you transition through to each hole. Using a vast variety of skills and tools you must use at the appropriate time to not only improve yourself, but to improve your game. 

What metaphors have you seen in golf that translate to life?  Do you see golf as a philosophy? Can you translate the morals, decisions, attitudes, and ethics of Golf to your life? 

Golf can be zen like once you reach the level of performance you think is "good enough". If you are of the mind that you should be better and are trying to improve, then all this goes out the window. Basically, you start getting mad at missed shots and other bad things.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 2548 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!