IGNORED

Hioism - The Philosophy of Golf

Par123
Note: This thread is 2526 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I noticed that there were many aspects of golf that related to every day life. The values, ethics, morals, and general uniqueness of Golf translate very well to life and the decisions, actions, and paths we take in life. Golf takes patience. Hard work. Dedication. It cant be perfected. It gives us choices and rewards us for the right ones while punishing us for the bad decisions. At times it's the most frustrating thing and at others its the most gratifying.

Because of these reasons, and many others, I created Hioism. It is a way to bring the aspects and attitude of golf to situations in your life to gain happiness, relaxation, and purpose, just like on the golf course.

• Upvote 2

I once wrote a piece on Texas Hold em in the same vane. Illustrating it as an effective Microcosmic view of human kind much like what you state in the OP. It even gave a parody relating to how Mitt Romney lost the election to Barrack Obama. A friend of mine in Ohio is quite active in politics asked for my permission to quote and share with some of her political peers. 

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Golf can develope one's personal ethics on the positive side. The exercise involved can help one stay healthier, longer. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

11 minutes ago, Patch said:

Golf can develope one's personal ethics on the positive side. The exercise involved can help one stay healthier, longer. 

I can't remember who said it, but "golf doesn't build character, it reveals it..."

• Upvote 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I believe you can tell a lot about a person's composure by playing a round of golf with them.   

• Upvote 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Yes;  I have been super busy the last few months, but one consequence of it is that I am going to be buying a house.  When I decided how many bedrooms to shop for, "golf room" was a reason for wanting what some might view as an "extra" bedroom -- but the ceiling is high enough and there's a good place for a mirror, so maybe I'll finally be able to have better practice at home than seeking a mirror or using a sliding glass door. 

Oh, and the exercise too.  That's a good thing.  I suspect I'd have far less interest in physical fitness if it weren't for golf. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

6 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I can't remember who said it, but "golf doesn't build character, it reveals it..."

My thoughts exactly David, I find golf is a good indicator of a persons attitude of their day.

When I golf with friends, some days they will be off in a different world, a side of them I usually don't see.
It could be either a joy or a bitch, but it's definitely noticeable.

• Upvote 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

4 hours ago, David in FL said:

I think it was attributed to a Dr Kenworthy, but I might be wrong. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Shivas Irons, Jr., Is that you?!? -Marv

• Upvote 1

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

11 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

I'm surprised no one has questioned this yet. You created Hioism? Is this your website?

http://hioism.com/introduction.html

Yes, that is my website. Because of the reasons I stated above I created a "religion" (more of a philosophy with some fun back stories thrown in) using the ethics and spirit of golf as a model for your life and your attitudes and actions towards others.

I'm not sure golf can change the way you live. I kind of think the way you live determines how you act on the course. People that are not honest off the course won't be honest on the course. To me, golf is just a game, a diversion from real life, and just like any game, should be played by the rules. I'm always searching, trying to get better, but I don't think golf can make you a better person anymore than can tennis, bowling or boce.

I didn't start playing till my mid 30ties. Any sense of fair play, sportsmanship or character were well established long before I took up the game. I mean really...its just golf.

(ducks)

• Upvote 1

Not so sure about golf as the great teacher of life lessons, but it can change lives in more practical ways. 

Hockey-wise, It didn't take very long into adulthood for age to become nearly as big a factor as my total lack of athleticism. Even in the friendly games of Sunday morning drop-in, it started getting a bit silly. A few years ago, I put the gear in a corner of the garage and its pretty much stayed there, except for a couple of skates here and there. There were a couple of years there where i did very damn little.

My introduction to golf, gave me something to pull me out of the house on a weekly basis. It's given me the chance to meet a whole lot of people that I never would have otherwise. It's something to look forward to. I'm probably not a better person, but I'm probably a bit happier and healthier than I would have been otherwise.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

I didn't start playing till my mid 30ties. Any sense of fair play, sportsmanship or character were well established long before I took up the game. I mean really...its just golf.

(ducks)

I'm with you, Papa. I think trying to equate golf with the meaning of life and spiritualism is a crock. It's a game, it's fun, when it stops being fun, I'll do something else.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, David in FL said:

That's akin to "If you really want to learn about a person's character, play a round of golf with them."

Much of this thread reads like the "dinner at the McNaughton's" section of Golf in the Kingdom.

Ah, the new "yoga of the supermind"!

Note: This thread is 2526 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!