IGNORED

High Speed Camera

Note: This thread is 2508 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
1 minute ago, phillyk said:

I'll take a look at the sony and casio.  How far away does the casio need to be, face on, to see the swing?

I can't say I've ever measured it. Eight feet?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/25/2017 at 10:06 AM, phillyk said:

I'll take a look at the sony and casio.  How far away does the casio need to be, face on, to see the swing?

OK, this kind of clears things up for me. I thought you might have been trying to take close ups of clubheads impacting golf balls. In that case you'd need something numbering in the several thousands of fps!

If all you need is to look at swings I'd say anything the budget allows should suffice. Consider the 960fps system mentioned. If a golf swing takes about I second, at a playback rate of 30fps, that gives you a swing video of 32 seconds in length. Plenty long enough to see the golfer's bodily motions. Considering how small the clubhead will appear when videoing the entire golfer, I don't know that fps is the main consideration. It could be pixel count and the quality of the lenses.

This reminds me of my "audiophile" days when cassette tapes were all the rage. I had a BIC deck that could record at 7 1/2 ips (inches per second), and an Audiovox car player that could play back at that speed. The sound quality was amazing! You were putting the same amount of info into twice as much space! There was so much more room!

On 5/23/2017 at 0:10 AM, Buckeyebowman said:

.... Considering how small the clubhead will appear when videoing the entire golfer, I don't know that fps is the main consideration. It could be pixel count and the quality of the lenses.

I believe shutter speed is also part of the overall consideration, too.  A higher shutter speed gives a clearer image for each frame of fast moving objects.  The trade-off is that you need good light, sunny outdoor being the best, and the ability to capture as much light as possible, i.e. a nice big ccd chip typical of good DSLRs.

• Upvote 1

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

• 3 weeks later...

So we ended up getting the Sony 4K Exmar Cyber-shot.  I haven't looked at any tutorial videos on how to best use the slow mo but I'll need to find some fish-eye lens for the simulator room, but we have a tri-pod for outdoor use which this will be perfect for.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Note: This thread is 2508 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!