IGNORED

Is the science research gap widening?

jkelley9
Note:Β This thread is 2364 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I had a bit of a shower thought today, albeit not in the shower.

Growth in effective research in nearly all fields is increasing at a fantastic rate with the help of improved computing power (information processing) and speed (and at a lower cost), innovations in data storage and searches, robotics, improved detection limits and accuracy, etc.

But an old fashioned example stood out in my mind today: the natural glucose versus high fructose corn syrup debate. There's still people even today that go back and forth on this, while the science is pretty damn straightforward.Β 

That got me thinking, it seems like every "breakthrough" has to be taken with an enormous grain of salt these days, right?Β 

1. How does the general public get their information? The media, obviously.Β 

2. What is the media's motivation? To get more viewers and be the "first." Honesty? Nah. Integrity? Nah. Just "shock."

3. How many people can accurately (regarding perception) interpret results of a study? VERY few.

On the flip side, what are the "researchers" (which can be a team, a company, etc.)Β motivations? Discovery, fame, time commitment to a study, etc. Without integrity here of course it leads to additional skepticism from the public (me included).

Lastly, I'm sure there's financial motivations for companies that combat discoveries, of sorts. I'm not one of those folks that thinks there's a cure for cancer but the "man" is holding it back. But at the same time there are almost certainly companies that pick up patents and such for great potential trials and they can them because they purchase the rights.

Say someone does make an incredible discovery TODAY (2017). What are the odds that the CORRECT perception is able to permeateΒ through society, widespread? I feel like with today's media, social media, feverish indictments of the education system (rampant ignorance), etc are all stacked against research at large.Β 

The media jumps on and often puts a REALLY bad spin on published data because frankly, they aren't equipped to interpret and they may (likely) be filled with biasΒ - yet they want the limelight. That hits those viewers who go on and play telephone on social media. Social media blows up with controversy, haters, etc. Bad info is like an infection, with little chance for a cure. Especially with how stubborn people are.

There's a difference between innovation research and standard studies, though. I think studies have it harder with what I've described above. If they found out that there is an incredibly high and accurate correlation between ingesting taurine and cancer.... what are the chances the general population actually accepts it? What are the chances that it doesn't get covered up or skewed in favor of the soda/energy drinkΒ industry?Β 

I think research today has a much tougher time than it did a few decades ago, even though the effectiveness of our research is orders of magnitude better.

This is the gap I'm referring to: discovery to acceptance, or implementation.

Is this gap widening?

D:Β :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10*Β 3W:Β :tmade:Β AeroBurnerΒ TPΒ 15*Β 2H:Β :adams: Super 9031Β 18*Β 3-SW: :tmade:Β R9 StiffΒ P: :titleist:Β :scotty_cameron:Β Futura X7M 35"

Ball:Β Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain:Β C130 Cart BagΒ Push Cart:Β :sunmountain:Β Micro CartΒ Sport

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The problem is also with researchers as well.

Here's something you might like to read.

S1579212914004078_S300_en.pdf

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On 4/28/2017 at 3:49 PM, Lihu said:

The problem is also with researchers as well.

Here's something you might like to read.

S1579212914004078_S300_en.pdf

Absolutely. I only touched on that in my OP but yea... so much pressure these days that it's creating a lot of bias and bad data out there to fulfill some "need." Whether it be a company needing funding, a headline, a stock price shift, whatever.Β 

I haven't read you link yet but I'll check it out tomorrow morning.

D:Β :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10*Β 3W:Β :tmade:Β AeroBurnerΒ TPΒ 15*Β 2H:Β :adams: Super 9031Β 18*Β 3-SW: :tmade:Β R9 StiffΒ P: :titleist:Β :scotty_cameron:Β Futura X7M 35"

Ball:Β Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

• 1 month later...

This kind of brushes the "agendized science" post, plus brings in many other variables.

Einstein was lionized in his day. How many are today? Einstein was pretty out there, but his theories could be discussed by intelligent laymen.

Pure science today has become so "esoteric", for lack of a better descriptor, that the average intelligent person can't keep up.

I'm a fan of the TV show "The Big Bang Theory". So much so that I will have a notepad handy when I watch it to jot down science references from the show to check out on the computer.

The last one I checked out was "Unruh Radiation". The explanation of it was pretty much incomprehensible. The upshot of it, I think, was that a detector moving through space would register a temperature slightly higher (by maybe 1 degree Kelvin), than a detector stationary in an inertial coordinate system!

The reasoning was that so called "empty" space, while a vacuum. was populated by energetic fields which would impact the detector!

At least ,that's what I got out of it! Way out of my league!

And if we're not smart enough to understand it, guess what? Neither are the news people!

On 4/28/2017 at 9:57 AM, jkelley9 said:

But an old fashioned example stood out in my mind today: the natural glucose versus high fructose corn syrup debate. There's still people even today that go back and forth on this, while the science is pretty damn straightforward.Β 

Glucose causes obesity and diabetes. Β 

High fructose corn syrup causes obesity and diabetes.

There both bad for you. Β What's the debate.

Edited by No Mulligans

Β 

15 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

And if we're not smart enough to understand it, guess what? Neither are the news people!

Yeah I can't read a newspaper author's version of a journal article and count it as legit. Β I'll try to find the actual article because the abstract is typically put into easier reading terms. Β Then if I think I can understand it enough, I'll get the pdf and read more. Β I think moreΒ people could read abstracts if they took the time to find them.

Pertaining to the gap widening, it's tough right now, because one half of research is trying to grasp at straws to find the one key to success in the medical world. Β Another side is physics/astronomy/theoretical physics which areΒ so advanced right now. Β Simple relativity and gravity can be taught in high school now, but not dark matter and M Theory (or whatever it is now). Β It's so complex that only a few can really work at it.

Another part that confuses people is that science is not static. Β As you dive deeper, you find more questions. Β Chemistry/physics/math can find equations or numbers that are static, but almost everything else is always growing and growing more complicated. Β Today's final "answer" can be turned upside down 20yrs from now. Β It's always based on current and past data.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach;Β Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI
Β 
TeamΒ :srixon:!

On 6/2/2017 at 2:24 PM, No Mulligans said:

Glucose causes obesity and diabetes. Β 

High fructose corn syrup causes obesity and diabetes.

There both bad for you. Β What's the debate.

I would add, 'excessive' to your statement. Β Glucose is the primary fuel for the human body. We kind of need it.

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

"Excessive" can be put in front of pretty much everything we eat or drink.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot ProΒ | Callaway X-Utility 3iΒ | Mizuno MX-700 23ΒΊ | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15ΒΊ | Titleist 910 D2 9,5ΒΊ | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

On 6/4/2017 at 8:52 AM, boogielicious said:

I would add, 'excessive' to your statement. Β Glucose is the primary fuel for the human body. We kind of need it.

Glad someone said it (politely) before I did (which may have been more demeaning) lol.

But it's that type of comment that scares the crap out of me.Β 

For example, a nearly PERFECTLY similarΒ example to that would be to say "consuming water causes death."

Back in the early 2000's a radio show had a water chugging contest to win a Nintendo Wii. Shockingly, nobody on the staff knew that chugging water can kill you, easily. You dilute the salt in your body so low that it can't conduct electricity (which is what your brain needs to communicate with your muscles and organs). A well known fact.

The woman died.

Water is essential for human life.

...so is glucose. It's literally #2 essential to humans.

1 hour ago, jkelley9 said:

You dilute the salt in your body so low that it can't conduct

Not exactly. It causes an osmotic shift where fluid enters the cells to try to balance the concentration due to the hyponatremia (low sodium) which causes the cells to swell....thus increasing intercranial pressure. The shame is that its relatively easy to reverse and had she received proper care in a timely matter she would've lived.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• 3 weeks later...

The media is the biggest thing wrong with this country hands down imo.Β  I knew it was a problem even before Trump came around but his presence in the White House really caused it to explode.Β  You've got a bunch of for-profit companies running around claiming to be the benevolent guardians of truth and it's absolutely laughable.Β  24-hour news cycles with massive spin to generate shock value which translates into viewers so the company gets the ad revenue necessary to pay their multi-million dollar executive and on-air personality contracts.

There hasn't been a legitimate news channel in this country for decades; we've got small groups of people who pretend to be journalists sitting around pandering and gossiping in 30 or 60 minute blocks between episodes of reality TV and various other audio/visual trash.Β  It's actually impressive in a way, when I step back and look at what TV has become it's incredible how this country has managed to take an invention as incredible as the television and turn it into a 55" box of electromagnetic diarrhea.

I mean the only way you can really one-up this is to make it happen in real time.Β  Oh wait, there's facebook and twitter!

Anyway, about the OP I don't think there is anything unusual going on between the news and research.Β  If someone can make money by warping the news then they will certainly try.Β  The only real way to know what is going on is to get the information from the horse's mouth which is ridiculous considering the mass media tools we have available.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
On 24.06.2017 at 10:28 PM, Strandly said:

The media is the biggest thing wrong with this country hands down imo.Β  I knew it was a problem even before Trump came around but his presence in the White House really caused it to explode.Β  You've got a bunch of for-profit companies running around claiming to be the benevolent guardians of truth and it's absolutely laughable.Β  24-hour news cycles with massive spin to generate shock value which translates into viewers so the company gets the ad revenue necessary to pay their multi-million dollar executive and on-air personality contracts.

There hasn't been a legitimate news channel in this country for decades; we've got small groups of people who pretend to be journalists sitting around pandering and gossiping in 30 or 60 minute blocks between episodes of reality TV and various other audio/visual trash.Β  It's actually impressive in a way, when I step back and look at what TV has become it's incredible how this country has managed to take an invention as incredible as the television and turn it into a 55" box of electromagnetic diarrhea.

I mean the only way you can really one-up this is to make it happen in real time.Β  Oh wait, there's facebook and twitter!

Anyway, about the OP I don't think there is anything unusual going on between the news and research.Β  If someone can make money by warping the news then they will certainly try.Β  The only real way to know what is going on is to get the information from the horse's mouth which is ridiculous considering the mass media tools we have available.

agree with this

On 6/24/2017 at 3:28 PM, Strandly said:

I agree with a lot of this. But aren't WE really the problem? We're the ones watching. We're the ones giving them the rating and sponsor dollars. I would love a real news channel, but it wouldn't sell with today's short attention span society. If there were one, without political lean, corporate incentives or lobbyist's influence, I would watch.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

6 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I agree with a lot of this. But aren't WE really the problem? We're the ones watching. We're the ones giving them the rating and sponsor dollars. I would love a real news channel, but it wouldn't sell with today's short attention span society. If there were one, without political lean, corporate incentives or lobbyist's influence, I would watch.

I don't think the blame can solely rest on just oneΒ side.

We are susceptible to behavior modification and manipulation, and there are plenty of people and companies out there willing to exploit that for their own gain.

At the same time, I think a lot of peopleΒ like their opinions validated and companies segment and cater to different markets to fill consumer needs.

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 2 months later...
On 8/12/2017 at 8:54 AM, boogielicious said:

Β 

On 8/12/2017 at 3:29 PM, billchao said:

I don't think the blame can solely rest on just oneΒ side.

We are susceptible to behavior modification and manipulation, and there are plenty of people and companies out there willing to exploit that for their own gain.

At the same time, I think a lot of peopleΒ like their opinions validated and companies segment and cater to different markets to fill consumer needs.

Perhaps I'm out of the mainstream, but I don't watch! Haven't watched for years! I learned to recognize "fake news" long before Trump ever coined the phrase.

I also recognize the blandishments coming from the other side. I subscribe to neither!

On 8/12/2017 at 5:34 AM, SandraH155 said:

agree with this

Not going to ask what you specifically agree, but if I had to guess. . . :-D

Β 

10 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Perhaps I'm out of the mainstream, but I don't watch! Haven't watched for years! I learned to recognize "fake news" long before Trump ever coined the phrase.

I also recognize the blandishments coming from the other side. I subscribe to neither!

"Fake News" was actually coined a long time ago and you can read about itΒ here.

Frederick Burr Opper 1894:

Three running men carrying papers with the labels "Humbug News", "Fake News", and "Cheap Sensation".

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

10 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Β 

Most people will struggle to recognize fake news. Most like to sit in their own packs to get confirmation bias. People tend to shy away from facts that prove their previously thought confirmations wrong. It’s tough, but people should read facts from all sides to form a true opinion they can stand behind.Β 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

8 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Most people will struggle to recognize fake news. Most like to sit in their own packs to get confirmation bias. People tend to shy away from facts that prove their previously thought confirmations wrong. It’s tough, but people should read facts from all sides to form a true opinion they can stand behind.Β 

Most scientists are also "Most people", which is possibly one reason why we have a science research gap in the first place. There's no point delving into something that could disprove your fundamental beliefs.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note:Β This thread is 2364 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!