Sign in to follow this  
iacas

PGA Tour Issues Slow Play Penalty

Note: This thread is 1120 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

21 posts / 2131 viewsLast Reply

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/pga-tour-hands-out-first-slow-play-penalty-since-1995-at-zurich-classic

About damn time. The problem with the PGA Tour policy is that you have to be out of position for quite a while and then get bad times.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 years is a joke when there should be several assessed each week. Just once I want to see them slap Jason Day with a penalty while he has his eyes closed "visualizing" the shot. Dude. Hit the ball. 

Take a practice swing, stand behind the ball, size up the shot, hit the dam ball. 20 sec tops. It's not rocket science, you either got it or you don't 

I timed myself on my routine starting from behind ball to completion of follow through 20-25 seconds.  

I don't practice swing.  My procedure is picking my spot on the start line I am swinging on from behind ball...setting face to the spot grip and measurement and then deep breath a waggle or two breathe out slow and go.

I probably take more time on a tricky pitch than a full shot because I will take a practice move or two trying to feel for distance.

Putting I don't take much time and no practice swings either there.

I could not do anything more with over 25 seconds.  On full shots after I align my clubface and setup around it I don't even look up.  Looking up messes me up.  I always feel I am aimed way left so I don't even look up anymore.  Good results from this without practice.  It's been the same a couple years now.

Edited by Jack Watson

Jason D was mentioned and after watching this I have to say I am sure this style of aiming 300 yards away by intuition might work for him but it could never work for me.  I like aiming a couple feet in front of my ball on my start line instead.  To me what he does is unnecessary and has to take a lot of time and to me is very difficult.

The beginning of this vid is what works for me...

Edited by Jack Watson

15 hours ago, JetFan1983 said:

22 years is a joke when there should be several assessed each week. Just once I want to see them slap Jason Day with a penalty while he has his eyes closed "visualizing" the shot. Dude. Hit the ball. 

Ryan Palmer took 2.5 minutes to hit a ball out of a bunker on Thursday. And that was a two man alt shot format. He changed clubs twice, assessed his lie and stance 3 times, talked with his caddy 9 times. I wanted to get behind him with an air horn. HOOOOOOOOOONK! Hit the damn ball!

European Tour issued a slow play penalty to Soomin Lee this week. 

Scotland’s Paul Lawrie, the 1999 Open Champion, took to twitter upon hearing of Lee’s misdemeanour. “Needs to happen more often,” Lawrie tweeted.

7 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Ryan Palmer took 2.5 minutes to hit a ball out of a bunker on Thursday. And that was a two man alt shot format. He changed clubs twice, assessed his lie and stance 3 times, talked with his caddy 9 times. I wanted to get behind him with an air horn. HOOOOOOOOOONK! Hit the damn ball!

And he's Spieth's partner!  I understand these guys take a lot into consideration but damn.  That's painful.

The USGA's rules in 2019 will include the potential for committees to set time standards for players to be held even without the ridiculous current process of being out of position, being warned, being put on the clock, etc.

Though, I have zero hope that the PGA Tour would ever add or enforce such.

Get outta town! An actual slow play penalty? It doesn't really surprise me that the last guy to get one was Glenn Day. His fellow pros didn't nickname him "All" for nothing. Even they thought he was slow! I once read where he told an interviewer that he would just as soon cut a check to the Tour right off the bat, and take all the time he wanted on the course!

Hope they keep this up!

Tiger Woods used more than 1.5 minutes to prepare for his famous chip shot on hole 16 in the 2005 Masters. (Maybe his very lengthy analysis is what helped him determine the optimal landing spot.) However, apparently only Guan Tianlang in 2013 merited attention at Augusta.

3 hours ago, On_the_Fringe said:

Tiger Woods used more than 1.5 minutes to prepare for his famous chip shot on hole 16 in the 2005 Masters. (Maybe his very lengthy analysis is what helped him determine the optimal landing spot.) However, apparently only Guan Tianlang in 2013 merited attention at Augusta.

Welcome to The Sand Trap. I think we all agree that many tour pros take much longer than should be allowed including Tiger. Many of today's tops starts are too slow.

5 hours ago, On_the_Fringe said:

Was he out of position when he did so? Was he on the clock like Guan?

Different situations.

And yes they should all play faster. But ultimately holing it was faster than rushing and making bogey. :-)

Note: This thread is 1120 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!