IGNORED

My Swing (PingLuvR)

PingLuvR
Note: This thread is 1556 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Look at Dustin's left knee at 1:10.  This is what I mean by it posting up.  I don't do this at all.  My knees are moving toward the target.  Thoughts?  

Irons - Ping G410 

Driver - Ping G410

3W - Ping G410

3H - Ping G410 

Putter - Ping Sigma 

17 minutes ago, SunkTheBirdie said:

Nothing good comes from a lateral sway in the backswing. Start with that for sure. 

Great tip. 

I'm starting to understand this now. 

Irons - Ping G410 

Driver - Ping G410

3W - Ping G410

3H - Ping G410 

Putter - Ping Sigma 

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, PingLuvR said:

Look at Dustin's left knee at 1:10.  This is what I mean by it posting up.  I don't do this at all.  My knees are moving toward the target.  Thoughts?

Dustin's left knee and hips slide toward the target.

He was in the video I made.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 minutes ago, iacas said:

Dustin's left knee and hips slide toward the target.

He was in the video I made.

They do,  but he still posts up.  I don't post up at all.  

Irons - Ping G410 

Driver - Ping G410

3W - Ping G410

3H - Ping G410 

Putter - Ping Sigma 

So OP, what's your plan for stopping the sway in the BS ? 

You cant really eliminate or remove flaws from your golf swing. But ... you can do something else instead of the flaw.  What are you going to do instead of the sway ? 

2 minutes ago, PingLuvR said:

They do,  but he still posts up.  I don't post up at all.  

FWIW I see exactly what you are talking about. The key is ... it don't matter. If you fix upstream issues ... a lotta downstream issues go away. 

You have lots of work to do to figure out how to move your hips properly and not sway.  Focus !!!

• Upvote 1

(edited)
25 minutes ago, SunkTheBirdie said:

So OP, what's your plan for stopping the sway in the BS ? 

You cant really eliminate or remove flaws from your golf swing. But ... you can do something else instead of the flaw.  What are you going to do instead of the sway ? 

Yep, thats step 1 for now.  I can already feel the difference when I swing.  On my BS,  I am putting pressure on the inside of my right foot and not allowing my knee to move outside. It feels really good.  And I feel my hips rotating on the way down.  One thing I also noticed on the pictures iacas posted is all their hands are ahead of the ball.  I'm going to look into this too.  

18 minutes ago, Jack Watson said:

The instructor from the video posted in the op should give your money back.  No clue what he's doing.

He has helped my take a way, swing plane (was way over the top) and follow through a lot.  I'm actually hitting the ball really well. And I get when hes trying to get me to do in the video.  I still think posting up is important.  

I am really glad I posted the video.  Appreciate all the feedback so far.  Very helpful.  

Edited by PingLuvR

Irons - Ping G410 

Driver - Ping G410

3W - Ping G410

3H - Ping G410 

Putter - Ping Sigma 

• Administrator

I don't think "posting up" is important at all.

No, you don't want your left knee to stay flexed all the way through the shot, but I'd rather see the hips go forward than not going forward at all. 

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If im sliding 6",  isnt the ball now 6" behind where it was at setup?  

Irons - Ping G410 

Driver - Ping G410

3W - Ping G410

3H - Ping G410 

Putter - Ping Sigma 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, PingLuvR said:

If im sliding 6",  isnt the ball now 6" behind where it was at setup?  

Relative to what?

Your hips? Sure, kinda. Your left ankle? No. Your head? No. Etc.

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

Relative to what?

Your hips? Sure, kinda. Your left ankle? No. Your head? No. Etc.

The ball seems to be 6" behind its starting point.  So the body is adjusting on the downward swing to where the ball was positioned?  

3 hours ago, iacas said:

I disagree completely with your instructor, and can post countless photos - like I did of Tiger Woods and Ben Hogan - that show otherwise.

But in case you're more of a video guy…

What do you think?

I am getting what you are saying about the hips sliding,  but I do see "most" of their left knees post up and stiffen up at impact. This is what Dustin does too.  This is how I want my swing to look.  But I get what you are saying.  They all do slide,  hips and left knee,  but they also post up a bit too.  I have been practice swinging today (raining all weekend here) and I am feeling it.  I like how it feels.  But you're right,  there is some sliding in these players. I do understand now and appreciate your help.  

• Upvote 1

Irons - Ping G410 

Driver - Ping G410

3W - Ping G410

3H - Ping G410 

Putter - Ping Sigma 

51 minutes ago, PingLuvR said:

The ball seems to be 6" behind its starting point.  So the body is adjusting on the downward swing to where the ball was positioned?  

Sometimes I will go directly from address to what I think is the impact position I want to achieve. 

Yes my hips are way forward at impact compared to address. But head, no. Left shoulder, not 6"!

So I disagree with "seems to be 6" behind" as you wrote.  In fact if you try that address-impact shift, you'll get the sensation that the ball stays right where it is :-D

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Watch Andy's left leg at 3:30 (meandmygolf) .   This is what I'm trying to emulate  

Irons - Ping G410 

Driver - Ping G410

3W - Ping G410

3H - Ping G410 

Putter - Ping Sigma 

• Administrator
56 minutes ago, PingLuvR said:

Watch Andy's left leg at 3:30 (meandmygolf) .   This is what I'm trying to emulate  

I think we know… But you have other things to worry about first, and I don't like the V1 video you posted at all.

You need to fix your backswing sway first. That'll affect the rest of the swing, so fix it first.

Then, you need to allow your left knee to stay flexed until you get your hips sufficiently forward by around A6 (shaft horizontal on the downswing), THEN the left knee begins extending.

But it stays soft first, so you can slide forward with your hips, for the majority of the downswing. Then you can "post up." Post up too early and you spin out and hit the ball like crap.

And seriously, fix the backswing sway first.

17 minutes ago, iacas said:

I think we know… But you have other things to worry about first, and I don't like the V1 video you posted at all.

You need to fix your backswing sway first. That'll affect the rest of the swing, so fix it first.

Then, you need to allow your left knee to stay flexed until you get your hips sufficiently forward by around A6 (shaft horizontal on the downswing), THEN the left knee begins extending.

But it stays soft first, so you can slide forward with your hips, for the majority of the downswing. Then you can "post up." Post up too early and you spin out and hit the ball like crap.

And seriously, fix the backswing sway first.

I think we are on the same page now.  I get what you're saying.  Makes sense.  The backswing sway is an easy one for me.  Didn't know I was doing it TBH until you brought it up.  I'm pretty good at researching and correcting things...as long as I know what im looking for.  Thanks again for the help it was VERY helpful.  

• Upvote 1

Irons - Ping G410 

Driver - Ping G410

3W - Ping G410

3H - Ping G410 

Putter - Ping Sigma 

3 minutes ago, PingLuvR said:

I think we are on the same page now.  I get what you're saying.  Makes sense.  The backswing sway is an easy one for me.  Didn't know I was doing it TBH until you brought it up.  I'm pretty good at researching and correcting things...as long as I know what im looking for.  Thanks again for the help it was VERY helpful.  

You should research and find a good instructor-Not the one you seem to have now.

• Upvote 1

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Note: This thread is 1556 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!