IGNORED

Ruined my driver shaft

Note: This thread is 2468 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 3:38 PM, Gary Kay said:

Thanks for all the suggestions. Rather than try to save the shaft with an extender (good idea though) I think I'll replace it. This gives me an opportunity to try a softer flex. I've heard you have to be careful when going to a senior flex as the club can get kind of whippy (which I would want to avoid). Marv, do the Project X or Mitsubishi shafts you recommend avoid this tendency? Secondly, based on the research I have done, I do not believe that shortening the shaft from the butt end makes it any stiffer. The shaft does, however, stiffen if you trim from the tip. I did read that trimming from the butt can have a subtle impact on the flex point of the shaft (gets closer to the hands) and some golfers can feel that change or witness some differing flight characteristics. Thanks again for the help.

I recently changed from a TFC-100D Regular shaft on my G5 driver to a ProLaunch Blue 75R. I bought the driver used and it had a full 3" extension installed before I bought it. The extension broke where it met the actual shaft one day on the range. So, here are a couple of thoughts....

1 - Keep your old shaft just in case. I honestly wish that I had put an extender back in my old shaft because I've had a hard time learning to hit this club again and I loved it before. When I do get ahold of it right, I've got a lot more distance with the new shaft so I am still working with it.

2 - If you decide to save the shaft with an extender, cut the extender down to as small as needed to hit your desire length rather than shortening the shaft to fit the 3" extender. Doing a little research online it seems that it's not uncommon for the full length extensions to break. But they're fine if shorter.

3 - If you decide to replace, shop around. If you're going to change it yourself, you can get that shaft cheaper online with a seller than has a return policy.

Edited by Joey G

:ping:   Ping G30 - Driver       

Ping G Series - 3w & 5w 

Ping G5 - 7w & 5-PW

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52*, 56*, 60*

Ping Sigma 2 Fetch putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2017 at 7:13 PM, Gary Kay said:

I was choking up on the club as well and then decided to just hack it off. The club just didn't work the same after I chopped it up. I'll probably start with a stock 46 incher again and if I do shorten it, it will be in much smaller increments. When I first got it (5/6 years ago) I was swinging away and developed a nasty hook. I corrected that with some lessons and slowed down my swing a little to improve accuracy. My swing speed has gone down about a 1 mph a year since I got the club (I'm a 68 year old) and it will probably continue to decline hence my considered change to a senior flex shaft.

Go to your local golf place and try all of the clubs that you might wanna try, primarily for the shaft flex. See if the SR flex is good as you think it might be.

Get a fitting and have a professional watch your and then make the recommendations.

Just my 2c

Taylormade M4 10.5* (turned down to 8.5*)
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
Ping G410 5 wood
Titleist F2 7 woods
Ping G graphite irons 5 - PW  Black Dot
Ping Gorged Glide Wedges - 50, 54, 58
Directed Force Reno 2.0 Putter
What an amazing game this is.

I cut about an inch off my driver shaft (from standard) I couldn't hit it worth a lick. Then I learned to hit with it. Now I hit it like a freaking champ.

In the last 36 holes I've played I've hit 24 of 28 fairways <<<<braggggg>>>> so obviously something is going right.

A lot of people try to change their club to match their swing. I try to change my swing to match the club. Maybe I will never be a scratch player because of it, but it seems to be complimenting my cheapness buying used clubs on ebay and craigslist :-P

I also NOW hit my drive much farther than I used to. 250 versus 220 back then.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

• 1 month later...
On 5/26/2017 at 10:01 AM, MrFreeze said:

Go to your local golf place and try all of the clubs that you might wanna try, primarily for the shaft flex. See if the SR flex is good as you think it might be.

Get a fitting and have a professional watch your and then make the recommendations.

Just my 2c

Went a you suggested. I had them put a half inch back on it. Smash it  well.

thank you.

Taylormade M4 10.5* (turned down to 8.5*)
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
Ping G410 5 wood
Titleist F2 7 woods
Ping G graphite irons 5 - PW  Black Dot
Ping Gorged Glide Wedges - 50, 54, 58
Directed Force Reno 2.0 Putter
What an amazing game this is.

On 4/29/2017 at 8:54 PM, Gary Kay said:

I thought I could make my driver a fairway splitter but ended up ruining it. I have a TM first generation RBZ with stock Matrix Ozik shaft (bonded regular flex). What I did was shorten it from 46 to 44.5 inches (off the butt end). There was no accuracy gain and in fact I ended up with a bigger fade than I care for. Worse yet, I lost a good ten yards if not a little more. I really liked the look of this club, the feel of the head, and sound.  I'm thinking of getting a new shaft for it, but don't want to spend to much (probably not much more than 50.00 or so). I'm also thinking about going to a senior flex since my swing speed is only about 79 to 81 mph now. I've read that a Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 might fulfill my needs, but I don't know much about aftermarket shafts. I'd appreciate any comments about this shaft or suggestions on others I should consider. Thanks. 

Put some lead tape on the bottom until you get the feel back. 1.5" is a big jump to cut off a club in one shot, and changes the swing weight. the fade maybe coming in because you don't feel the club moving off plane. 

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my golf clubs for what I told her I paid for them."
What's in my SQ Tour Carry bag?:
Driver: R7 Quad 9.5*
3, 5 Wood: G5 clones
Irons: : AP1 (4-PW) Wedges: 52*, 56*, 62* Spin Milled Putter: White Hot 2 Ball BladeBalls: Shoes: My...

Note: This thread is 2468 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!