IGNORED

How can I reduce Driver noise?

Note: This thread is 2542 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 5/5/2017 at 8:26 AM, ZappyAd said:

I have a Ping G30 driver which has always made a loud sound on impact.  It was always noticeable but not really a problem.

I took some lessons recently and did a bit of practicing and I'm hitting my driver a lot better than I used to, but the sound is now a bit of an issue.  I don't know if it is because I am hitting with a slightly higher swing speed, or that I've just been hitting a lot of drives, but it sounds much louder now.

Is there anything I can do to make it quieter?  I got fitted for a GBB Epic Subzero and that seems to have a much more muted impact sound - but that is quite an expensive solution!  I read online that maybe putting cotton balls into the head might do the trick - is that a real thing?  If anyone has any solutions I'd appreciate some ideas.

Read more  

Topping the ball always works for me.:beer::beer:

• Upvote 1

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

On 5/7/2017 at 3:12 PM, Vinsk said:

I hope I'm just missing it...but this talk about hearing concern regarding driver sound is a joke right? I mean I'm well aware the younger pop is flocking to clinics for runny noses lasting more than 2 days....but this is pretty silly. Don't bother posting a link where you've seen 'discussion' over it. In today's times you can find some concern over anything. Just let it go. Relax. 

Hearing loss is no joke. Not saying a driver will definitely cause it (my understanding is usually it is more sustained loud noise or extremely loud momentary noises that cause it), but there might be a risk in the right conditions, like an enclosed booth, so why chance it? Once you lose it you're never getting it back. Like I mentioned earlier I play the drums and luckily I was taught to be very cautious from the beginning, but I have plenty of friends who will basically always hear a ringing sound in the background. They have nothing but regret over not being more careful and I guess it can be pretty maddening at times.

40 minutes ago, drmevo said:

Hearing loss is no joke

Never said it was. You're not playing golf in an enclosed booth. I stand by what I said. You're more than welcome to wear ear plugs while teeing off. And I'm more than welcome to chuckle. 

BTW. Love the drums! I started playing them awhile back but had to sell my kit as there just wasn't a good place to put them when I moved. Such a cool instrument! 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I too wondered why someone would want to decrease the noise their driver makes, so I read the thread and now understand.  I did a very quick google, and found this site, which references standards from NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health).

http://dangerousdecibels.org/education/information-center/decibel-exposure-time-guidelines/

For sound level of 109 dB, the acceptable continuous exposure time is almost two minutes.   These NIOSH quidelines are MUCH more stringent than OSHA guidelines.  I work in construction, and I don't take hearing loss lightly, but I don't think I'd be concerned about hearing loss from the sound of a driver impact, or even dozens of them.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

43 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Never said it was. You're not playing golf in an enclosed booth. I stand by what I said. You're more than welcome to wear ear plugs while teeing off. And I'm more than welcome to chuckle. 

BTW. Love the drums! I started playing them awhile back but had to sell my kit as there just wasn't a good place to put them when I moved. Such a cool instrument! 

Right, I mention the booth because I think the OP said that's where he was noticing it a lot, at the range. I agree, it's not going to hurt you out on an open tee box during a normal round. I have a G30 as well and it does get loud.

That's too bad you had to sell the drums, it's an awesome hobby! They make smaller practice kits but they're just not the same.

Edited by drmevo

Go hit a Nike Sasquatch for awhile.  In comparison, your driver will then seem nice and muted.

Leave the head cover on it

Drive with your 3 wood

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Yeah, the Sasquatch was not only loud, but it was a horrible sound.  Silly me for thinking the big reason no one would play it was because it's square.

Although personally I'm not concerned with a driver causing damage to my hearing, I do think some models are too loud and/or don't sound good.  There is no question that sound affects feel, so an unpleasant sounding driver probably will not feel very good either.  Drivers that sound like an aluminum softball bat drive me nuts.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

31 minutes ago, 1badbadger said:

Yeah, the Sasquatch was not only loud, but it was a horrible sound. 

I have one (pear shape) as a backup driver.  Sometimes I'll play it just to startle some of the seniors at the range and course.  CLANK!!!!....whooosh

But it does hit nice.....

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 2542 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!