IGNORED

Good Cheap golf balls

Note: This thread is 2463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm sure there is a thread on this somewhere but I am always on the look out for a quality cheap ball to use when I'm out practicing or just whacking it around on Saturday afternoon. Any suggestions?

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For new or used?

I'll start with used. Any higher quality ball (Pro V1, Chrome Soft, Penta Urethane). A lot of guys and gals on is site use lostgolfballs.com if I'm playing them, I stick with 4 or 5A grade for my shag bag 2 or 3A is fine.

For new: ($20 or under) Srixon Soft Feel, Wilson Duo, and Callaway Supersoft all great balls on a budget. My $1.50 ball is the Duo. It's great off the tee, and great around the green.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

2 hours ago, Bucki1968 said:

I'm sure there is a thread on this somewhere but I am always on the look out for a quality cheap ball to use when I'm out practicing or just whacking it around on Saturday afternoon. Any suggestions?

You might try golfballs.com.

Not to get too far off topic, but why would a 2 hcp want to practice with balls that likely have completely different playing characteristics than the one he normally uses?  It's not as if you lose very many balls!

Edited by David in FL
  • Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Depends on your definition of cheap but I just picked up 6 dozen Snell My Tour balls and love them. Most people seem to like them as much as ProV's. It comes out to around $2.20/ball when you buy that many. Not exactly "buy once, cry once" but same idea. :-)

Here in Argentina a supplier brings from the USA the used/lost balls. I play, for practice and tournaments, the 4A Bridgestone 6A. They sell the dozen for 17 dollars. A dozen of the same ball but new cost arround 50 dollars and i just can´t feel any difference.

Compared this ball against a few new proV1 and NXTour and the distance it´s the same. The difference it´s the higher spin in wedges, more check in short game and more side spin, 3 things that I simply hate.
So i´m happy to play with a cheaper ball that performes better for my needs and know that i´m not giving any advantages to the ones playing the expensive golf balls.

As @David in FL said, you have to practice/play/fool arround with the same type of ball.

Vice is selling their golf balls online for under $20, I believe.   They were Golf Digest's Hot List Gold for 2017.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

12 hours ago, Bucki1968 said:

Snell Get Sum $14 a dozen

Snell MTB $27 a dozen 

Best bang for the buck out there...

• Upvote 1
  • Informative 1

Wilson 50 Elite...At 13 a dozen or less, their performance will make your head spin!

Edited by stealthhwk

19 hours ago, David in FL said:

You might try golfballs.com.

Not to get too far off topic, but why would a 2 hcp want to practice with balls that likely have completely different playing characteristics than the one he normally uses?  It's not as if you lose very many balls!

When I go out after work and play some golf I usually try to hit various shots that I have trouble hitting. I'm trying to hit a more controlled fade and sometimes it turn into a huge slice (balls hit trees, cart paths etc.) And I still hit the standard hook in the pond occasionally. I guess lately since it's been so windy I've hit some Bridgestone's into the trees and lakes. And I just don't feel like dropping $50.00 on a dozen golf balls. 

18 hours ago, JxQx said:

What do you consider to be cheap in terms of per dozen?

Something in the twenty to twenty five bucks range. Checking golfballs.com right now. I would rather use new balls but as long as the ball preforms the same I'm not against found/refurbished balls.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

56 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

When I go out after work and play some golf I usually try to hit various shots that I have trouble hitting. I'm trying to hit a more controlled fade and sometimes it turn into a huge slice (balls hit trees, cart paths etc.) And I still hit the standard hook in the pond occasionally. I guess lately since it's been so windy I've hit some Bridgestone's into the trees and lakes. And I just don't feel like dropping $50.00 on a dozen golf balls. 

Something in the twenty to twenty five bucks range. Checking golfballs.com right now. I would rather use new balls but as long as the ball preforms the same I'm not against found/refurbished balls.

I know you mentioned in another thread that you were struggling to control your fade.  Using balls with differing playing characteristics could certainly affect that.   Just an observation, that I'm sure you realize.

Another option is to look at prior generations of the same ball.  You will save $'s, but still retain very similar playability.  As an example, I'm playing the B330 RX-S these days.  The new generation balls run about $45.  I can find prior generation balls for $29.  Just a thought.

Edited by David in FL
  • Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I've been playing Vice golf balls and like them a lot. They are around $25 a dozen but have to buy 5 dozen to get that pricing.

• Upvote 1

I've played Pro V1x for the past 21 years.  Recently I played with a friend who switched to the Pinnacle Long & Soft from Pro V1s so I decided to try them out.   Amazed at the length and the softness of the ball.  Shot 79 yesterday best round this year.   $15 dz.  I'm going to continue to use them and see what happens to my game.  In my opinion there are a lot of good balls out there today and some may fit your swing better than others.

2 hours ago, Bucki1968 said:

I would suggest going with a new, prior generation model rather than the pre-owned/refurbished option.  Golf balls recovered from water hazards will not perform as well as a new ball.  The loss in performance will vary from one ball to the next also, even if they look like they are in almost new condition.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

I use the TM Penta Speed balls.  $13 a dozen 

“Golf is a compromise between what your ego wants you to do, what experience tells you to do, and what your nerves let you do.”

WITB: :mizuno: JXP 850 Driver 9.5 degree, :tmade: Rocketballz 5 wood, :tmade: PSi 4i-AW, :tmade: ATV wedge 56 degree, Pine Meadow lob wedge 60 degree, :nike: Method Drone Core 2.0 putter

You cannot go wrong with the Vice Pro Plus ball.  I ordered 5 dozen with my business logo on them for about 30 bucks a dozen, I did have to order 5 dozen to get that pricing, but that is a heck of a deal for a ball that I truly believe outperforms Pro V1x and the Nike RZN Black balls I was playing.  Distance wise the Pro + might be a little longer, but around the greens is where they shine, nice one hop stop from virtually any lie with these balls I have noticed so far.  I believe they are $25 a dozen if you buy 5 dozen, and I had mine in 3 business days. 

• Upvote 1

Get yourself some Precept Laddies. You can usually find a 2 dozen pack for about 20 bucks! They work really well in the cooler weather, and work pretty well in the warm.

• 3 weeks later...

I was down to a couple 330's yesterday and wanted to play a round after work. No time to stop by a store to buy more so I rummaged through a tote I have stored at the office full of new and used what I'd usually never consider playing balls. In the tote was a new sleeve of Pinnacle Gold. I figured what the heck and grabbed those over the TF-XL. Holy smokes that ball blew my mind. It felt good off everything and I hit some of the longest drives ever, for me. Bummed to see it's discontinued but will be trying the Rush later.

I've found and left many Pinnacle's on the ground over the years. Not sure why I never tried it but it's a really good distance ball that felt decent around the greens. Had to wait for greens to clear on the par 5's, it's a rocket.

Dave :-)

Note: This thread is 2463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!