IGNORED

Hilton Head Island recommendations

Note: This thread is 778 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My trip to HHI is coming up in three weeks. Do you guys have any course and restaurant recommendations? I am looking for green fees in the area of $40-$60 and high handicap friendly. What's the current course conditions?

I have previously played Shipyard and Port Royal Barony. They were ok. A former NY'er here in the south, so we are looking forward to trying Grubey's. 

Thanks, SG

Edited by Sandhills Golfe

Wasn't there just a topic on this? I'm heading home and will likely merge this with the other thread. I remember just replying about a course called Golden Bear in the middle of the island that I have played a lot.

Edit: Here is the thread I was thinking about. It was actually somebody's "Welcome" posting, where YOU asked about other courses on the island. So I'll leave this as it's own topic, since it's more appropriate here than in a welcome thread. But for reference, here was some related discussion:

Edited by RandallT
Updated information about prior thread.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 5/10/2017 at 8:43 AM, RandallT said:

Wasn't there just a topic on this? I'm heading home and will likely merge this with the other thread. I remember just replying about a course called Golden Bear in the middle of the island that I have played a lot.

Edit: Here is the thread I was thinking about. It was actually somebody's "Welcome" posting, where YOU asked about other courses on the island. So I'll leave this as it's own topic, since it's more appropriate here than in a welcome thread. But for reference, here was some related discussion:

Thanks, @RandallT

• 5 weeks later...
(edited)

Back from my trip. Played Palmetto Dunes Fazio course and it was great. Although, many holes do look similar, the course is in great shape and it made up for it. For those who slice the ball, you can do that and play from the parallel fairway. We only played 9 and the guest rate was 35 each plus tax. We stayed at Turnberry Village and the condo overlooking the course was perfect. Our second round was at Island West in Bluffton. It is a course that is rough around the edges. But, worth the $25 morning rate with a $10 coupon found in one of the Hilton Head small magazines. The trip to Bluffton was not a long drive and we also went to the Tanger outlets. They had great prices at Adidas.

Hilton Head National was closed this week as they were aerating their greens. I thought I was in Wally World, as I told my family, I drove 6 hours and I want to play this course, lol!

The food was disappointing. Despite some of the rave reviews for Skull Creek Boathouse, I would disagree. The food was cold and over priced. The area outside of the two restaurants (the other is Hudson's) is not the best and a bit of a drive from most placed on the Island. The same is true for Nick's Steak and Seafood; average at best. These places get away with it since they have so much traffic. 

The food was average at Hilton Head Diner and we had a very long wait for food.

NYC Pizza in Shelter Cove was ok. The service was very good. But, they are far from NY Pizza.

Legendary mini golf was way overpriced and too crowded. Don't do it!

The only meals we liked were Java Burrito, Stacks for pancakes and grilling hot dogs on the condo's deck!

Hope this helps anyone planning a trip to HHI!

Edited by Sandhills Golfe
  • Upvote 1

I'm leaving for HHI this coming Saturday, staying for a week.  Seems like several courses there are aerating now.  Maybe HHN's will be back in reasonable playing shape come 9-10 days from now when I'd be playing it.  Still haven't made up my mind on where we'll play.  Planning on 2 rounds.  Was hoping HHN, then one TBD...maybe on-island.

Last trip ('14) we ate at the Salty Dog (was recommended to us), then, another night, walked to the Harbour Town marina and ate at The Crazy Crab.  Of those two, we liked The Crazy Crab best.  No other food was memorable, so we'll look around a little more this time around.  Would like to find some off-the-path, or non-touristy gems.

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

15 hours ago, BamaWade said:

I'm leaving for HHI this coming Saturday, staying for a week.  Seems like several courses there are aerating now.  Maybe HHN's will be back in reasonable playing shape come 9-10 days from now when I'd be playing it.  Still haven't made up my mind on where we'll play.  Planning on 2 rounds.  Was hoping HHN, then one TBD...maybe on-island.

Last trip ('14) we ate at the Salty Dog (was recommended to us), then, another night, walked to the Harbour Town marina and ate at The Crazy Crab.  Of those two, we liked The Crazy Crab best.  No other food was memorable, so we'll look around a little more this time around.  Would like to find some off-the-path, or non-touristy gems.

You won't be disappointed with Palmetto Dunes. The Fazio course was aerated in Mid may. We didn't have any issues last week. People

rave about the Jones course. But, it is expensive and more recently aerated. We had no memorable food there.

18 hours ago, Antneye said:

I am going 4th of July week and received a recommendation to play Eagle Point or Shipyard. 

I've played Shipyard in the past. It is just ok.But, it has a convenient location. Not familar with Eagle Point. The trip to Bluffton is not bad.

See here:  Palmetto Dunes Golf Rates

Looks like the cheapest you'll get is $80 in the afternoon at the Fazio course.  $90 at the Arthur Hills, then $101 at the RTJ.

For HHI golf, in general:  Hilton Head Island Golf

(Be sure to click on See More Hilton Head Island Golf Courses, then Additional Public Courses to get the most comprehensive list). 

I had Arthur Hills on my list, but I'm also taking my son.  He's 21 and wants to play w/me while on vacations, but isn't an avid golfer (and ends up griping about the heat...pshhh...kids....), so I unfortunately shy away from some of the nicer (and expensive) courses.  I really want to play Harbour Town since we're staying in Sea Pines, but ~$185 is tough for me to swallow just on my own.  Multiply it x 2 to include an occasional golfer who'll only half-enjoy it?  Negative.

Edited by BamaWade
Added 2nd link

6 hours ago, BamaWade said:

See here:  Palmetto Dunes Golf Rates

Looks like the cheapest you'll get is $80 in the afternoon at the Fazio course.  $90 at the Arthur Hills, then $101 at the RTJ.

For HHI golf, in general:  Hilton Head Island Golf

(Be sure to click on See More Hilton Head Island Golf Courses, then Additional Public Courses to get the most comprehensive list). 

I had Arthur Hills on my list, but I'm also taking my son.  He's 21 and wants to play w/me while on vacations, but isn't an avid golfer (and ends up griping about the heat...pshhh...kids....), so I unfortunately shy away from some of the nicer (and expensive) courses.  I really want to play Harbour Town since we're staying in Sea Pines, but ~$185 is tough for me to swallow just on my own.  Multiply it x 2 to include an occasional golfer who'll only half-enjoy it?  Negative.

We stayed at the PD resort and had a 20% discount. They did have 1pm and 3pm rates. You could get a lower rate by playing later in the day. I have a 21 year old, too. I understand.

SO my wife and I are going to take a trip to Hilton Head next October.  I'm look for advice what courses me and my friends should play.

“Golf is a compromise between what your ego wants you to do, what experience tells you to do, and what your nerves let you do.”

WITB: :mizuno: JXP 850 Driver 9.5 degree, :tmade: Rocketballz 5 wood, :tmade: PSi 4i-AW, :tmade: ATV wedge 56 degree, Pine Meadow lob wedge 60 degree, :nike: Method Drone Core 2.0 putter

Thanks Randell

“Golf is a compromise between what your ego wants you to do, what experience tells you to do, and what your nerves let you do.”

WITB: :mizuno: JXP 850 Driver 9.5 degree, :tmade: Rocketballz 5 wood, :tmade: PSi 4i-AW, :tmade: ATV wedge 56 degree, Pine Meadow lob wedge 60 degree, :nike: Method Drone Core 2.0 putter

On 6/16/2017 at 10:40 PM, Lefty76 said:

SO my wife and I are going to take a trip to Hilton Head next October.  I'm look for advice what courses me and my friends should play.

Palmetto Dunes is a good choice. If you need to go cheap, Island West look out for a coupon for Brown Golf in the local/small magazine found in most super markets and in the PD welcome center

Thanks Sandhills, my wife did mention that she was looking around Palmetto Dunes for the condo.  I will have to check that out

19 hours ago, Lefty76 said:

Thanks Sandhills, my wife did mention that she was looking around Palmetto Dunes for the condo.  I will have to check that out

Lefty76,

Lots of good choices at Palmetto Dunes condos. We were happy at Turnberry Villas. They overlooked the fairway and the pool was in walking distance. The Fazio course was nearby and the Fazio Villas looked nice. They also have a shuttle that can take you to the beach. Surprisingly, there is very limited beach parking. So, you have to take the shuttle or get there early. The golf course condo was a much lower price compared to their beach front condos.  One other point that I have to share. We went with my 21 one year old and he said, PD and the area, had a bunch of old people. We spent some time at Coligny Beach and it appeared to have a younger crowd. My son had a great time. That was the only negative for him. Have fun. SG.

On 6/12/2017 at 3:54 PM, BamaWade said:

Look for the Sea Shack (6 Executive Park Rd, Hilton Head Island, SC 29928)

Best local fresh caught seafood by far!

Favorite Courses: Hills course at Palmetto Dunes, Anything in Sea Pines.

On 6/23/2017 at 1:37 PM, Brewbob said:

Look for the Sea Shack (6 Executive Park Rd, Hilton Head Island, SC 29928)

Best local fresh caught seafood by far!

Favorite Courses: Hills course at Palmetto Dunes, Anything in Sea Pines.

Thanks, Brewbob.  We tried the Sea Shack one night mid-week, but the line was too long for us as we had a couple of other things lined up for that night.  Got several recommendations for it, though, so it'll be a definite on the next visit.

Though we stayed in Sea Pines, I didn't play on the resort.  My son and I played Hilton Head National.  It was nice, though the greens were still pretty spongy and bumpy from aeration a couple of weeks back.

Note: This thread is 778 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!