IGNORED

Do You Prefer to Walk or Ride?

whip_it_out
Note: This thread is 1175 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do you prefer to walk or ride? (on a walk-able course)  

120 members have voted

1. 1. If you're playing 9 holes, do you prefer to walk or ride?

• Walk
    • Ride
    • Either is fine, depends on my mood, playing partners, or some other reason
  2. 2. If you're playing 18 holes, do you prefer to walk or ride?

• Walk
    • Ride
    • Either is fine, depends on my mood, playing partners, or some other reason
  3. 3. If/when you walk, do you feel that you score better, worse, or no difference?

• Score better when I walk
    • Score worse when I walk
    • No difference in score when I walk

I prefer to walk 9 or 18. While most of my better scores have come when riding, I'm not sure that means much. I've shot some crappy scores while riding as well.

I also like the exercise. Even though I've started working out again, walking the course at a fast pace - even running at times - helps burn calories. I will lose almost 10 lbs during the golf season, only to gain it back again during the winter months. (It's a vicious cycle.)

2 hours ago, todgot said:

I walk most of the time because I'm a cheap bastard. 

Same here.

I mostly ride when playing with someone who prefers not to walk. My membership includes reciprocal deals at other clubs. The rounds at these courses are "free" if you pay for a cart, or you can pay the normal rate to walk. It's usually a wash so I'll opt for the cart.

Jon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like walking the course but it depends on the course!  There's one near me I play that's so hilly with long distance between green and next tee box walking doesn't make sense.

I prefer both...If I am only going to play 1 round, I want to walk.  If I am able to play all day I want to ride.  When I say play all day, I mean 54 holes.  Even when I play all day I might walk the middle 18 as the course gets slow at that time.  But we are always first group off and then normally our last round we are only ones left.

Driver: :tmade: R11S (9 degree)
Woods: :tmade: R11 3 (15.5 degree) & 5 (19 degree)
Irons: :tmade: R11 4-AW
Wedges: :tmade: ATV 54 & 60 degree
Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2012 Newport 2
Ball: :titleist: ProV1
Rangefinder: :bushnell: Tour V2

Unless the course is really hilly, or has long walks between holes, I like to walk. I get distracted in carts and don't pay attention to the course as much.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

12 hours ago, freshmanUTA said:

I only score rounds for handicap when I walk. I kinda feel like it's cheating otherwise. Even though there is literally no change in score between myself walking and riding(I shoot maybe 1 or 2 strokes better when I walk).

If you otherwise meet the requirements for posting a score, you're cheating if you don't post a score when you ride. ;-) 

For those interested, a search will bring you to many other threads on this very topic.  Probably only surpassed by the number of "I wanna be a Tour Pro" or "cast vs forged irons" threads...

:-) 

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I much prefer walking, for 9 or 18 holes. I recently started using a push cart again, which makes it even more enjoyable. I doubt there's much of an affect on my scores either way.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Where's the Golfboard option? It's not walking, it's not riding, it's... something. :-P

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Walking it all of course, barring those tracks that cannot be walked, but that's irrelevant for this discussion.

I play better walking, golf is a game that requires strong legs and walking gets them going, activates the glutes.

On a side note I think slow play can be easily fixed by getting rid of carts (buggies), the mixing of walkers and carts is probably the #1 reason for pace issues.

Edited by MrDC
  • Upvote 1

Walk all the time: 9 holes I carry my bag, 18 holes I use a pushcart. 

6 minutes ago, MrDC said:

On a side note I think slow play can be easily fixed by getting rid of carts (buggies), the mixing of walkers and carts is probably the #1 reason for pace issues.

I hate carts. This is the preferred modus operandi for people who have no business being on a golf course, which in my experience is the bulk of cart users. Swerving and carving like they're riding quads at the dunes, can of cheap swill in hand. They use the carts to give themselves slack, and this stop/start and push/pull action has the ripple effect of slowing the entire procession down. 

With apologies to the guys who can play 18 holes in under 3 hours, I know you guys like to ride. But you're also 1. obviously good from a mile off, and 2. in the minority.

17 hours ago, Fourputt said:

I am no longer physically capable of walking even 9 holes, so I don't worry about it.  

And I was hoping we could convince you to caddie for @Pretzel!

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Walk.  Walk.  No difference.

I grew up walking since I played a shorter public course and, well, we really didn't have money to get a cart.  I still walk today whenever I'm allowed/able to.  Mostly it is for the exercise and that it also lets me think a bit between shots (especially when I'm playing by myself.)   I don't mind taking a cart but in individual tournaments I'd rather be carrying my bag and not sharing the cart with a competitor.  Just my preference.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

I will walk my local 9 hole executive course but much prefer to ride on full length courses.  I started playing at age 40 and already had a back like a potato chip so that is one factor.  At age 65 and with the layout of most courses in my area the cart is a blessing.

Walking not always a choice. Sometimes course rules say no.

Also, walking doesn't work well if you play a course where it's 500 yards between the green and the next tee box. (Those "residential development" courses we complain about.)

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I estimate that I walk at least 9 out of 10 times I play golf (I use a push cart).  I often play an executive 18 and an executive 9 but I like to walk the big courses also if they are good walking courses.  I like getting the additional exercise. I like the "feel" of a course when walking as I feel more a part of the course, I can enjoy the details of the course and nature better.  I like that when walking I more often have all my clubs with me as I get to the ball.  I like the additional focus on my game when walking, most often I'm walking straight to my ball, sizing up my next shot while walking to the ball, and paying less attention to my playing partners situations.

I sometimes ride even on good walking courses.  That is determined by the temperature and/or what else I have going on after the round.  I'll ride if I think walking will wear me out too much for later activities.  (I'm 59 and do have some chronic health issues).

I play better when I walk.

Edited by No Mulligans

When I walk, I carry my clubs.  With a wonky back, I can't walk 18 with my clubs on my back.  I've also had troubles walking 18 with a push-cart... so 18 with a cart is how I roll (literally).

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

I very much prefer to walk.  I just enjoy it more, feel like im in the round more.  I feel like it allows me to learn the course better.  I don't have anything against carts if used responsibly, but i like my clicgear walking.

Note: This thread is 1175 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!