IGNORED

Do You Prefer to Walk or Ride?

whip_it_out
Note: This thread is 1173 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do you prefer to walk or ride? (on a walk-able course)  

120 members have voted

1. 1. If you're playing 9 holes, do you prefer to walk or ride?

• Walk
    • Ride
    • Either is fine, depends on my mood, playing partners, or some other reason
  2. 2. If you're playing 18 holes, do you prefer to walk or ride?

• Walk
    • Ride
    • Either is fine, depends on my mood, playing partners, or some other reason
  3. 3. If/when you walk, do you feel that you score better, worse, or no difference?

• Score better when I walk
    • Score worse when I walk
    • No difference in score when I walk

20 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I don't want to name any names but when it's "cart path only" I have a friend who will walk 25 to 50 yards out to his ball and scope it.  Then come back to his cart to get a club.  Aaaarggghhh!

I know what you mean, really slows the game down. I usually bring three of four clubs with me given I kind of know the distance.

21 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

"cart path only"

I played exactly one round of golf under those conditions and it will be my last. Slowest, dumbest round ever.

If we can't drive straight to the ball in the cart or walk, we are either going somewhere else or going home. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, mcanadiens said:

I played exactly one round of golf under those conditions and it will be my last. Slowest, dumbest round ever.

If we can't drive straight to the ball in the cart or walk, we are either going somewhere else or going home. 

In cart path golf if you can't place your drives quite near the cart path then you will be walking almost as much as if you were using a pushcart. Although that scenario runs against implementing course strategy.

1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

In cart path golf if you can't place your drives quite near the cart path then you will be walking almost as much as if you were using a pushcart.

You are underestimating the crappiness. 

Pretty sure we walked more than we would have using the pushcarts. 

It was very, very bad and very, very dumb. 

Never, ever again.

As long as I have my push cart I like to walk, unless it is a really hilly course. The fatigue factor would be too high if I have to climb hills all day AND play golf. One or the other is fine. 😆

1 hour ago, mcanadiens said:

You are underestimating the crappiness. 

Pretty sure we walked more than we would have using the pushcarts. 

Never, ever again.

That can't possibly be true, unless you only advance the ball 50-80 yards at a time. When you walk, you have to walk the whole length of the hole; on a cart path only day, you only have to walk about twice the width of the fairway, at most. And of course, on some holes, you manage to get your ball right next to the cart path too.

From my experience, as I normally walk, but also occasionally play in carts (e.g. tournaments), including on cart path only courses or days, you only walk about 50-60% of the distance if you would have walked the full course.  Now, if you do like that guy mentioned above, and go to your ball without any club and come back to select your club, it may be a wash... But the blame is not on "cart path only"! 😜

ETA: I prefer walking, as long as it is manageable, meaning not every hole is uphill or downhill, and on some courses, they are both!  Also, temperature has a big effect: I used to walk no matter what, but now If the temperature is in the 90+F, I'll take a cart or I could risk heat exhaustion in the last few holes.

Edited by sjduffers

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

18 minutes ago, sjduffers said:

That can't possibly be true, unless you only advance the ball 50-80 yards at a time. When you walk, you have to walk the whole length of the hole; on a cart path only day, you only have to walk about twice the width of the fairway, at most. And of course, on some holes, you manage to get your ball right next to the cart path too.

From my experience, as I normally walk, but also occasionally play in carts (e.g. tournaments), including on cart path only courses or days, you only walk about 50-60% of the distance if you would have walked the full course.  

But the power cart ride is different from pushing a cart.  No sustainability with the power cart.  Sit... stand... sit... stand.  Walk... sit... walk... sit.  There is no free flow of muscle usage as with a push cart, so you can get stiff.  You'll know the difference the next morning...

31 minutes ago, sjduffers said:

No. We didn't manage to get the ball near the cart path. Ever. 

Ok. Maybe a slight exaggeration there, but walking forward beats the hell out of walking sideways and between slices and shanks we walked sideways a lot.

Besides all that, we had this deal where I was routinely hitting the ball 50 yards further than he was. That meant waiting for him to play his shot before I could get to mine, nearly all the time.

It sucked. I hated it.

1 hour ago, mcanadiens said:

No. We didn't manage to get the ball near the cart path. Ever. 

Ok. Maybe a slight exaggeration there, but walking forward beats the hell out of walking sideways and between slices and shanks we walked sideways a lot.

Besides all that, we had this deal where I was routinely hitting the ball 50 yards further than he was. That meant waiting for him to play his shot before I could get to mine, nearly all the time.

It sucked. I hated it.

Even the 90 degree rule beats cart path only.  Which most golfers promptly turn into the 25 degree rule.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

I seem to relax more when I walk. I look around more. Kinda enjoy the scenery. I think since I am more relaxed I tend to play better. I really enjoy going out after work and walking 9 holes. It really takes the edge off if it's been a tough day. So does the 🍺 afterwards. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

16 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Which most golfers promptly turn into the 25 degree rule.

90-degree rules last about as long as the starter is in eye shot. 

It's hard not to feel a little silly taking those sharp turns when at least 10 other carts clearly drove straight up the No. 2 fairway.

20 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

Never, ever again.

I wouldn't second-guess your personal decision, but there are times when Cart Path Only is exactly the right choice for a club/course to make.  I'd rather do the extra walking than allow carts to make ruts and other damage all over the course.  I know from personal experience that even the most observant drivers will occasionally drive a cart into a bad spot.  And beyond that, I'd rather walk most times, and particularly when its CPO.  But I'd almost always prefer to play golf than to drive to the course and go back home without playing.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

13 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I wouldn't second-guess your personal decision, but there are times when Cart Path Only is exactly the right choice for a club/course to make.  I'd rather do the extra walking than allow carts to make ruts and other damage all over the course.  I know from personal experience that even the most observant drivers will occasionally drive a cart into a bad spot.  And beyond that, I'd rather walk most times, and particularly when its CPO.  But I'd almost always prefer to play golf than to drive to the course and go back home without playing.

I try to walk any time the course allows it to spare the monstrous cart fee if nothing else.  

Certainly I understand why courses may need to have cart path only, but I just won't do it again.  You decent golfers can pound balls down the concrete path and it isn't that bad. My buddy and I can't (or not on that day anyway). The time we wasted going back and forth was mind-numbing.

The home course is easily walked. If I venture out and cart path only is a risk, I'm going to call and ask. 

I've always preferred walking and carrying my bag.  Sometime, but rarely, I would use a push cart.  I found push cart to be more cumbersome on some courses.

The only time I ride is when the course includes the cart fee.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

23 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

But the power cart ride is different from pushing a cart.  No sustainability with the power cart.  Sit... stand... sit... stand.  Walk... sit... walk... sit.  There is no free flow of muscle usage as with a push cart, so you can get stiff.  You'll know the difference the next morning...

Sure, all true. No arguing that. I like to walk, as I said.

I was just pointing out that the claim of walking more (i.e. more steps) on a CPO round than a regular walk is not accurate. Can it be more painful (at least psychologically) or less pleasant? Yes, absolutely. :beer:

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

2 hours ago, sjduffers said:

Sure, all true. No arguing that. I like to walk, as I said.

I was just pointing out that the claim of walking more (i.e. more steps) on a CPO round than a regular walk is not accurate. Can it be more painful (at least psychologically) or less pleasant? Yes, absolutely. :beer:

Agreed.  Walking will always get you more footsteps...

On 1/27/2021 at 5:16 AM, Yukari said:

I've always preferred walking and carrying my bag.  Sometime, but rarely, I would use a push cart.  I found push cart to be more cumbersome on some courses.

The only time I ride is when the course includes the cart fee.

Likewise, as I also carry my bag.

Many moons ago after taking up the game , I used to put a carry bag in the back of my van ( Truck) and head to the course after work and get some play / practice.

I soon tired of swapping all the gear from my big bag to the carry bag , and eventually bought a better carry bag , and stuck with it ever since.

Also it helps with my posture ;-)

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1173 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!