IGNORED

Do You Prefer to Walk or Ride?

whip_it_out
Note: This thread is 1180 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do you prefer to walk or ride? (on a walk-able course)  

120 members have voted

1. 1. If you're playing 9 holes, do you prefer to walk or ride?

• Walk
    • Ride
    • Either is fine, depends on my mood, playing partners, or some other reason
  2. 2. If you're playing 18 holes, do you prefer to walk or ride?

• Walk
    • Ride
    • Either is fine, depends on my mood, playing partners, or some other reason
  3. 3. If/when you walk, do you feel that you score better, worse, or no difference?

• Score better when I walk
    • Score worse when I walk
    • No difference in score when I walk

When I first started playing, all my buddies rode the carts. Then, after joining here, and reading a lot of posts, I bought a cart and started walking. Now, my buddies and I walk when the weather is good. In April, I am joining a small country club that is between my house and work, and walking after work for the exercise. My friends think I am nuts, but walking 9 everyday over hill and dell (mostly hill) sounds like a better way for me to get in shape than hitting the gym.

Steve

In my Cart Bag:
Driver: R7 Draw 9*
3W: Ovation 15*
Hybrid Halo 19* 2H, Halo 22* 3H
Irons: i/3 O-Size 4-PWSW: Vokey SM 56*Putter: Anser

I read that on a website somewhere and can't remember where. A study was done on how many calories you burned and the effect on your game, riding a cart, pushing a cart, pulling a cart, and carrying a bag. Basically the conclusion was that carrying a bag burned the most calories but you could lose strokes due to fatigue and pushing or pulling a cart was a close second on calories burned and less fatigue.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I prefer to walk, as long as I'm feeling good. If I'm playing with a group that rides, I'll also ride.

Driver: HiBore
Fairway Woods: Prostaff FS #3 Great Big Bertha II #7
Irons: Staff Di7 Irons 4-GW
Wedges: CG10 54* CG12 60*
Putter: Black MaxBall: Trispeed

I can't remember the last time I walked. Probably when I was a kid "caddying" for my dad. All the guys I usually play with ride, so I ride. Plus it helps with speed of play.

In myBagBoy Revolver: HiBore XL 10.5° ⢠HiBore 3W ⢠Halo 2i, 3i & 4i
MX900 5-PW ⢠MP-R 52-07° & 58-10° ⢠Studio Select Squareback 1

Carl Spackler: This is a hybrid. This is a cross of Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff...

... All the guys I usually play with ride, so I ride. Plus it helps with speed of play.

This is an often repeated misconception. In most situations, carts do not help speed the pace of play, nor does walking slow the pace of play. In MANY situations, carts actually contribute to a slower pace of play.

I love to walk. Unfortunately, it's tough to find courses that allow it anymore.

I'd kill to see a good caddy program these days, but the sad truth is, carts are easier (and cheaper) to manage than caddies.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been doing about 50/50. But plan to buy a Clicgear 2.0 then walk exclusively (except maybe during the summer when it's 100+)

SLDR 430 TP Graphite Design DI-6s
SLDR Mini Driver TP Graphite Design DI-6s
SLDR 4h Matrix Black Tie 95s
Ping G25 4-PW
Ping Gorge 50, 54, 58

Ping Anser IWI

Almost always walk. Use a push-cart. Our 4some plays faster that 75% of the 4somes out there in riding carts as well.
I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

I prefer to walk, as long as I'm feeling good. If I'm playing with a group that rides, I'll also ride.

That is me exactly. If something hurts, I ride. I am finding also carrying the clubs is similar to a heavy backpack which they say is destroying our children due to the extreme forward head position to balance the weight on the back. So walkers may end up with upper back, neck and shoulder pain they did not expect.

The ideal world is to use a caddy.

This is an often repeated misconception. In most situations, carts do not help speed the pace of play, nor does walking slow the pace of play. In MANY situations, carts actually contribute to a slower pace of play.

I agree with this. The course I play most often has a 90 degree rule every time a cloud shows up in the sky, so it takes forever to drive around the course. Especially when my partner and I tend to hit the ball in very different locations on the course.

"take a couple weeks off - then quit for good"

- X-460 Tour 10.5 Fujikura Stiff
- War Bird 15deg 3 Wood
- MX-23 Irons
- Vokey 52 + 55deg wedges
- 900 60deg Low Bounce - Studio Design 1.5 - Pro V1x - SG4Sun Mountain Carry and Great Divider Cart Bags.

That is me exactly. If something hurts, I ride. I am finding also carrying the clubs is similar to a heavy backpack which they say is destroying our children due to the extreme forward head position to balance the weight on the back. So walkers may end up with upper back, neck and shoulder pain they did not expect.

Then you only give them "upper back, neck and shoulder pain"

"take a couple weeks off - then quit for good"

- X-460 Tour 10.5 Fujikura Stiff
- War Bird 15deg 3 Wood
- MX-23 Irons
- Vokey 52 + 55deg wedges
- 900 60deg Low Bounce - Studio Design 1.5 - Pro V1x - SG4Sun Mountain Carry and Great Divider Cart Bags.

I usually always ride. I don't get to play as much as some, so I like to treat it as an enjoyable afternoon out. Walking 18 in the heat and humidity is not enjoyable.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I pretty much walk exclusively, with a carry bag. I think I've ridden maybe twice ever. The last time I rode was because I was trying to squeeze in a quick 9 before it got dark and the guy threw the cart in for free. I didn't really like it though.

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

Do you have a source for this tid bit? It sounds an aweful lot like hype and speculation.

It is an often quoted factoid.

The 5-years increased life expectancy was based on average walking distance playing a round of 18 with some average number of rounds per year. I don't remember the exact numbers for rounds or estimated distance walked per round. Basically they used that to say if you walk 500 miles (or whatever number they actually calculated) a year your cardiovascular health is that much better and you will live longer than someone that does not walk that ammount all other things equal. I believe the fatigue part was measured with golfers in a certain handicap range with 50% walking and 50% riding then they did averaging and analysis and came up with 3-strokes. Sorry I don't have the exact source but I have read it several times, for what it is worth. -E Edit: http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/b...s-good-fo.html source article. It links to a Swedish study with the details.

In my Grom bag:

Driver........... Burner 9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood......... Burner 15* S-Flex
5-Wood......... Ovation 18* S-FlexIrons............. Pro Combos 3,5-PW Rifle 6.0Wedges......... CG12 52.10, 56.14, 60.10Putter............ 33" VP1 Milled PutterBall................ e6+ or B330-SRangefinder.....

In the summers I like to play early in the morning and I'll usually walk those rounds. It is really relaxing for me to be our there when the course is fairly quiet and peaceful.

Any other time I tend to ride. I don't really like to be the guy in a foursome who walks when everyone else is riding.

In My Bag:

Driver: HiBore XL 10.5*, Aldila NV Stiff
Fairway Wood: System 2 Midsize 3W
Hybrid: Idea Boxer a3Irons: Bomber Steel Plus 3: 4-PW (Callaway Clone)Wedges: 588 Tour Action BeCu 53* Gap/56* SandPutter: Karsten Anser 2 34"Balls: Back to the drawing board, experimenting with Gamers,...

Walking most all the time... lost 20 pounds last summer walking when I played golf.

In the Ogio stand bag

909 D2 w/ VooDoo S
15.5* 906F4 w/ Aldila VS Proto 80S
3DX DC 3 HybridFP 4-GW56* and 60* Vokey SM wedgeSophia putter

I walk 95% of the time. The only times i really ride is when the course demands I use a cart or im playing in a scramble. I see walking as a condition of the game. Taking a cart from my POV is like playing basketball in a wheelchair.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I prefer to walk. I convinced my dad to walk with me now, and he said he loves it. I always feel like I can talk more with the guys I'm golfing with. Golf is a social game. Plus, I had a bad experience with a cart, so no more carts for a while!

Having worked as a caddie for some time now, I think carts are slightly faster if used properly. It all depends on the golfers' playing abilities. Really bad players should use carts. Really good players could do either and it wouldn't matter. It depends on the golfer's game.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

Note: This thread is 1180 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!