IGNORED

Do You Prefer to Walk or Ride?

whip_it_out
Note: This thread is 1153 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do you prefer to walk or ride? (on a walk-able course)  

120 members have voted

1. 1. If you're playing 9 holes, do you prefer to walk or ride?

• Walk
    • Ride
    • Either is fine, depends on my mood, playing partners, or some other reason
  2. 2. If you're playing 18 holes, do you prefer to walk or ride?

• Walk
    • Ride
    • Either is fine, depends on my mood, playing partners, or some other reason
  3. 3. If/when you walk, do you feel that you score better, worse, or no difference?

• Score better when I walk
    • Score worse when I walk
    • No difference in score when I walk

I walk most of the time. Only way to play. It's cheaper too. I walk even if the rest of the guys I'm paired with are riding.

In my Ogio Blade Stand Bag:

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Cleveland CG14 58 2 dot wedge

Ping Karsten Series Craz-E putter

Top Flite Gamer

Insert Debbie Downer sound byte...wuuummmp ....wuuuuuhhh

Sorry... that reference is meaningless to me.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I walk most of the time. Only way to play. It's cheaper too. I walk even if the rest of the guys I'm paired with are riding.

Not in my experience.  I try to use golfnow a lot since that is the cheapest way I've found to play and the rounds almost always come with carts.  I guess I could turn down the cart but it's not like they'll refund me anything for it...

Saturday Night Live......funny character....

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I wish I could walk. Sciatica numbs my left leg some times, and other times it makes my left hip/leg throb insufferably. I can ride all I want, no problem, but walking long distances isn't possible. I'm limping by the time I leave the grocery store. Walking even 9 isn't happening. When I played in highschool, we weren't allowed to use carts, and we walked several rounds a week, sometimes 27 holes a day. I'd love to be able to go back to doing that.

Walk any chance I get.  Walked 36 holes on Tuesday for the first time, that was a bit rough. ;)

Bettinardi Golf Kuchar #2 Cobra Bio Cell+ Callaway Razr Hawk 3W TaylorMade SLDR 19H Mizuno JPX 825-Pro 4-AW Scor 55 & 60 (Wedges)

• 2 weeks later...

Saw something interesting last night and thought of the riding vs. walking debate that always seems to come up. My playing partner forgot his gps and decided to go back to the parking lot to get it after we teed off. I hit a pretty good 3w and started walking to my ball. He was able to go from #1 tee, past the clubhouse, through the parking lot to his car to get the gps and travel to his ball before I was able to walk to mine.

Dave :-)

Saw something interesting last night and thought of the riding vs. walking debate that always seems to come up. My playing partner forgot his gps and decided to go back to the parking lot to get it after we teed off. I hit a pretty good 3w and started walking to my ball. He was able to go from #1 tee, past the clubhouse, through the parking lot to his car to get the gps and travel to his ball before I was able to walk to mine.

Either you hit really really far in that high altitude (whereupon you probably walk slower too), or he has one heck of a cart!

I have trouble getting ours past 4.75mph. I got a good one the other day that went 4.81mph.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Either you hit really really far in that high altitude (whereupon you probably walk slower too), or he has one heck of a cart!

I have trouble getting ours past 4.75mph. I got a good one the other day that went 4.81mph.

If anything I walk fast. I forgot my phone so I'm not sure how far it went, 1 is 410 yd par 4 and I was left and slightly behind of the 150 marker. Actually walked to work this AM, my average speed over 3.7 miles was 3.9 mph but I jogged across a few intersections so a little slower than that. But our cart was an old gasser that popped and sputtered the entire round. No joke I said remind me not to get in cart 21 again. It was that bad. There are a few there that are scary fast but this wasn't one. It's not real far from #1 tee, couple hundred yards probably. But he traveled roughly 3x as far as I did in less time.

Either you hit really really far in that high altitude (whereupon you probably walk slower too), or he has one heck of a cart! I have trouble getting ours past 4.75mph. I got a good one the other day that went 4.81mph.

That course needs new carts! A stock electric cart will generally go about 12mph. If you're under 10mph, there's something mucho wrong. A healthy adult should be walking pretty comfortably between 3 and 4 mph.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

That course needs new carts! A stock electric cart will generally go about 12mph. If you're under 10mph, there's something mucho wrong. A healthy adult should be walking pretty comfortably between 3 and 4 mph.

Okay, it just feels really slow, and I did exaggerate the slowness of the carts.

His friend had a gas powered one, so that makes more sense to me. His friend drove 260*3 yards (almost half a mile) and spent maybe 10-15 seconds getting into his car to get his GPS, in the time it took Dave to walk ~260 yards. My gut tells me the electric cart would still take longer. Unless, of course Dave struggled to get his head cover back onto his club. :smartass:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

We have some with faulty exhaust that fly at the former home course, get into the 15 mph range, have to slow down to turn it. My parents have the street legal EZ-GO RXV and that thing is like a little car. I think top speed is around 19-20 mph. Pretty sure the dealer modded it though, wheels and tires are a little bigger.

We have some with faulty exhaust that fly at the former home course, get into the 15 mph range, have to slow down to turn it. My parents have the street legal EZ-GO RXV and that thing is like a little car. I think top speed is around 19-20 mph. Pretty sure the dealer modded it though, wheels and tires are a little bigger.

P205/60R9 super-mag wheels?

My guess is in a small town like Brighton, you don't need cars for everyday use?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

P205/60R9 super-mag wheels?

My guess is in a small town like Brighton, you don't need cars for everyday use?

Lol my parents don't live here, they live in Westminster. They drive mostly on the course, live right behind 13 green. Brighton is a funky little town population about 30k but it's sprawling. I only walked to work today because my car is leaking coolant, and because I slept late and missed my morning workout.

I started walking for the first time this year, about three months ago roughly. I don't think I will ever find myself in the position where I won't be primarily a walking golfer. I'm happy to get the mild exercise, but there are many reasons that I really enjoy it. It rains a lot in my area and cartpath only in a cart is just plain awful and pointless. I also like to have everything in front of me if I want to change clubs or check distance, etc. I find myself more relaxed and I have time between shots to clear my mind. When I play alone, in a cart I rush myself for some reason. I am not sure why but I do. I don't have that issue on foot. I general seem to finish 18 in about 3 hours on foot depending on who is in front of me. When I am playing with other friends who don't want to walk or in a scramble I will take the cart, but that is a different experience. Even when I play with my dad and son, I let them go in a cart and I walk with them. Having a push cart makes walking enjoyable and I wouldn't have it any other way. It really is a great game for walking and racking up the miles walked over the last few months sure makes me feel better.

• 2 months later...

New member to TST I'm sure this has been discussed here before if not many times.  Do you walk or ride? If you ride are you of the opinion that walkers slow general pace of play?  I walk and ride depending the situation, I own a bag boy push cart, I also own a lightweight shoulder bag when I am playing in a minimalist mood.  I have friends that are absolutely convinced walkers slow the pace down and are the reason golf takes 5 hours or more on the weekends.  A little background of my game and the way I play golf, I was introduced to golf many years ago from my cousin.  From day one he always told me to play the ball "down" never fluff the ball and never drop a second ball unless a provisional is needed.  Always play in a "ready golf" frame of mind even if the group you're playing with is not playing that way.   I was also taught to stay on the tee box while the entire group hits their ball and keep an eye on the ball thru the entire flight noting trees bunkers or course features near where the ball landed.  I know pace of play can quickly become a hot topic and get feathers ruffled.  I am just curious if I am in the minority of my belief that walking in most cases does not slow pace of play down.  As long as you put into play some or all of the things I mentioned above.  I always have my cart bag and shoulder bag in my trunk and am prepared to walk or ride.  My preference is to walk and I feel like I play at my best when I walk.   I play solo quite a bit and I play a lot of walk on rounds.  I have played quite a rounds where I am paired with 3 riders, there is always comments from the riders.  Right of the bat they are concerned about pace and offer to let me strap my bag to the cart.  I enjoy the exercise but I more enjoy showing guys there are walking golfers that keep pace and don't slow the game down.   In some cases there are times where the guys I am paired with are the slow type that follow each other to each others balls they lolly gag and putz around.  If there is a ball in the rough I will drop my towel near the ball so when that guy know where his ball is.  At times I feel like I am a "keep a quick pace" ambassador. At some times the group will offer to let me play on, they feel that they are slowing me down or think I am in a hurry.  I like meeting/playing with new people.  Unless the round is PAINFULLY slow I always finish out with the group.  The good thing is usually by the turn I start seeing the others in the group keeping an eye on each others ball flight.  Playing ready golf or taking more than one club to the ball if it's cart path only.  I also walk if it's cart path only I have a pair of golf shoes I have treated 20 times with waterproofing that stay dry.  I feel like I change a lot of peoples minds about walking or at least show them how easy it is to speed up the round.  Rather than continually complain about that group that was doing this or that, put into practice a few simple things into your round and you won't be part of the problem.   Just watching each others ball flight and being at your ball and ready to hit your shot is a big time savings alone. Sorry for rambling I could go on and on about my love of walking the golf course but I don't want to get preachy.  Anyways I just thought I'd share and I am always curious to hear others opinions.   This past winter I replaced my shoulder with a cool lightweight Ping bag.  I will post a gear review with pictures sometime this week

Chris

Paragraphs, please.

If you're long winded, separate your thoughts for a greater chance of reading ...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I walk when I can and ride when it's too damn hot to walk. Many courses don't give an option. It is faster to ride.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Note: This thread is 1153 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!