IGNORED

Do You Prefer to Walk or Ride?

whip_it_out
Note: This thread is 1178 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do you prefer to walk or ride? (on a walk-able course)  

120 members have voted

1. 1. If you're playing 9 holes, do you prefer to walk or ride?

• Walk
    • Ride
    • Either is fine, depends on my mood, playing partners, or some other reason
  2. 2. If you're playing 18 holes, do you prefer to walk or ride?

• Walk
    • Ride
    • Either is fine, depends on my mood, playing partners, or some other reason
  3. 3. If/when you walk, do you feel that you score better, worse, or no difference?

• Score better when I walk
    • Score worse when I walk
    • No difference in score when I walk

Push cart mafia for life. Seriously no reason to carry unless the course is abnormally hilly (even then I still push) or you want the extra workout, especially with picking it up and putting it down with each shot. 

• Upvote 1
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We might consider merging this brand new thread with this other not-very-old thread

That said, I use a motorized trolley, I neither carry nor push (or pull), yet I still get my 7 miles or so of walking in.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

The layout of my home course - long stretches between greens and tees - makes walking slower than riding. So I ride when playing in a group. I much prefer walking, however, so I sometimes check with the Clubhouse and can usually find a tee time that allows me to walk without causing delays to other players. I find that my solo walking pace about matches that of the typical riding foursome. In the summer I use a push cart so that I can haul plenty of water, towels, etc Otherwise, a Sunday bag does the trick.

I walk with a pull cart....I do like to carry my bag and I use to ........but I'm getting older and carrying 3 bottles of water also adds to the weight....when I was young my dad said "REAL" golfers carry their bags....only POSERS pull a golf cart....OLD SCHOOL baby!

I HATE riding in a golf cart...I rarely cart unless it's a cart mandatory course or a corporate/charity event......luckily.....it doesn't get hot enough here for me to warrant riding in a golf cart.......even though I wear a plastic ankle/foot orthotic and have some paralysis in my right leg....all from a skiing accident 33 years ago.

Nothing beats walking for exercise. I will walk with a push or pull cart as long as I can. I find the course much more enjoyable that way. Years ago, a couple of my partners played Pebble Beach. They took a cart; I walked. I got to see and experience the course down the middle, and they took the cart paths, which are way outside the holes for the most part. I think my Pebble Beach "experience" was much better then theirs! 

It’s going to be another 95 degree day with over 90% humidity so taking cart for sure.
 Happy 4th. 

:ping:    Driver, 3 wood  G410 Plus  G 700 irons  :cleveland:  CBX 50-54-56  :scotty_cameron: Squareback   Gigem

We all walk in Ireland, it is never too hot, quite the opposite really. I use a push cart, I like the extra calorie burn, I’m trying to get lean at the moment and two rounds a week burns an extra 2-3000 calories so it has added benefits

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nail said:

We all walk in Ireland, it is never too hot, quite the opposite really. I use a push cart, I like the extra calorie burn, I’m trying to get lean at the moment and two rounds a week burns an extra 2-3000 calories so it has added benefits

I was gonna call BS on those figures for calories burned but I looked it up, I'm honestly very surprised it burns that many calories.

Colin P.

On 7/5/2020 at 4:18 PM, colin007 said:

I was gonna call BS on those figures for calories burned but I looked it up, I'm honestly very surprised it burns that many calories.

Ya it's quite surprising considering how easy it feels to play a round but ya, its a 6 mile walk at least with hills etc and with all the added swinging and pushing a cart for 3-4 hours it all adds up to a decent calorie burn. 

• Like 1

Now a days, I always carry.  I was switching off between carry and using a push cart (about 70-30 split).  But with gyms being closed, I've been walking and carrying.  I like the extra workout even if it is only a small difference.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

• 6 months later...
On 12/6/2019 at 2:48 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

I prefer to walk.  ... But the muni close to my house where I practice alot and zip around 9 or 18 with a push cart while walking/running (the running part seems to be frowned upon by my friends) is my choice for 3-4 days a week.  ...

On 12/6/2019 at 3:13 PM, Darkfrog said:

🤣🤣 When I take my pushcart out (I'm 50/50 pushcart or carry) I like to jog to my ball, especially on uphill holes. ...

Maybe we'll cross paths and jog a round some day. 🙂 I've been too busy the past four years, but before that, I used to try to play twice a week: walk on Sat/Sun; jog on Weds/Thurs (teeing off first, at sunrise).

I set a goal on my jogging rounds: I wanted to score under 80 in under 90 minutes. It took me a while, but I finally managed it!  ...I need to make time for that again!

Yesterday at the range I was chit-chatting with a group of gentlemen and one of them mocked my cart bag. Pointing at my bright blue Sun Mountain C-130 cart bag and saying. "You can tell he doesn't ever walk the course." I said "Au contraire mon frère". While it's true I don't lug that bag around the course. I do prefer to walk and only in the last couple of years switched to using a ClicGear 3.5+. ... Also bright blue. 

So what's the point to my little story? ... There are three. 

1. I prefer to walk. I don't think it improves or hurts my score at all. I just like walking the course.
  2. Love my Sun Mountain C-130 paired with my ClicGear 3.5+. Actually, I can't imagine how that combination can be improved upon. 
  3. I like the color blue. 

Clicgear_2.png

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Yah, I walk with Clicgear push cart too. Few weeks ago I walked with bag on my back having forgotten to bring the cart. I managed ok but my poor ankle (recovering from an injury) was threatening to call social services on me by the time I got to the 16th hole. But I finished. Hopefully I will be close to 100 percent by summer. 

I think the modern push cart is one of the most important products to have come out in the last 20 years. 

It has opened up a great venue for exercise without breaking backs (literally). Our course is full of members who walk 9 or 18 with one 4-5 times a week. It's great.

• Upvote 1

Vishal S.

2 hours ago, GolfLug said:

I think the modern push cart is one of the most important products to have come out in the last 20 years. 

It has opened up a great venue for exercise without breaking backs (literally). Our course is full of members who walk 9 or 18 with one 4-5 times a week. It's great.

Its interesting that at some of the more exclusive clubs in the US, trolleys are looked down on.  Somehow they're not "proper golf".   But go to the most exclusive clubs in Scotland, and the vast majority of the members are using trolleys, and by now a large percentage of them are using the motorized variety.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

3 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Yesterday at the range I was chit-chatting with a group of gentlemen and one of them mocked my cart bag. Pointing at my bright blue Sun Mountain C-130 cart bag and saying. "You can tell he doesn't ever walk the course." I said "Au contraire mon frère". While it's true I don't lug that bag around the course. I do prefer to walk and only in the last couple of years switched to using a ClicGear 3.5+. ... Also bright blue. 

So what's the point to my little story? ... There are three. 

1. I prefer to walk. I don't think it improves or hurts my score at all. I just like walking the course.
  2. Love my Sun Mountain C-130 paired with my ClicGear 3.5+. Actually, I can't imagine how that combination can be improved upon. 
  3. I like the color blue. 

Clicgear_2.png

You do have a blue color scheme going on there, including the Mizuno's. I prefer a pushcart as well, but I have a lightweight stand bag that I use just in case I want to carry.  It also keeps the range jockeys from making snide comments.

I've had three back surgeries so I can walk nine but not eighteen. I play better when I walk because I can walk straight to my ball. When I ride I'm always with someone else a lot of the time we search for the other guys ball, then I find it difficult to find my ball, (unless it is in the fairway). but I feel rushed. Have to learn to take my time.

I also don't like it when it is cart path only for the carts, makes club selection difficult.

33 minutes ago, cooke119 said:

I also don't like it when it is cart path only for the carts, makes club selection difficult.

I don't want to name any names but when it's "cart path only" I have a friend who will walk 25 to 50 yards out to his ball and scope it.  Then come back to his cart to get a club.  Aaaarggghhh!

Note: This thread is 1178 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!