• Announcements

• iacas

Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
Midpack

How Many Hole-in-Ones Have You Had (per Years played)?

52 posts in this topic

20 years off and on.  Never had a hole-in-one, never seen a hole-in-one.  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Got my first HIO on Saturday. Been playing for 15 years. 151 yds. 8 HC, also had my personal best round of 71 in same round.

IMG_0136.PNG

52 minutes ago, Steve heck said:

Got my first HIO on Saturday. Been playing for 15 years. 151 yds. 8 HC, also had my personal best round of 71 in same round.

Congrats and welcome to TST!

If you plan to stick around and contribute (and we hope you do!), check out the thread above. You can claim things like your hole in one, and possibly that you broke par with that 71 (if par was 71 or lower, I suppose you need to claim breaking 80). 

You'll see these achievements at the lower part of each of our posts. You can find a full list here:

https://thesandtrap.com/awards/

Drill down through the achievements and award categories there.

Congrats to DAVEP043 and STEVE.....What an incredible thrill!!

0.25 per year played. But this 8th year is still young. :whistle:

I've had 5 in the past 4 years.  I started playing golf in 2003 so it took 10 years to get the first.  I'm convinced getting the ace is a 'stroke' of luck.  Yes, there is some skill requirement getting the ball started but there are so many variables.  Still, a great feeling.

I've had zero but my dad has had seven over about forty years of playing, twenty of them "serious." And all since he retired in 1998. During his serious playing days he's been at best a 12 and normally closer to a 16-20 HC. It's insane the amount he has had. I've only holed four full swings from the fairway.

0 in 3-4 years.

Frankly I haven't even been close, except the one time I hit it to within 6 inches of the cup... problem was... that was a re-tee after hitting one in the water! :-P

I've seen one ace. A few co-workers and I were playing in a vendor sponsored tournament. One of them is an excellent player and has been playing ~30+ years I think? He had never had an ace before, but he did that day. And it was a ~170+ yard hole. He hit a 9 iron... I hit a 5 iron LOL. The tee box was at a MUCH higher elevation than the green, though.

Edited by jkelley9

So nearly 40 years ago I started.

holes in one.....as of this week?......

I did the math - it's 0  (I did see one last year this guy was nearly 70, it was his first, he was SO happy)

Edited by rehmwa

I was just watching PGATourLive and an ad for the Champions Tour was playing.  I think the voice over said that the odds for a hole in one are 2500 to 1 (presumably derived from pro stats).  Assuming 4 par 3s per round then something like 1 every 600 rounds

On 5/17/2017 at 10:30 PM, jsgolfer said:

2nd One Today - Only took me 36 years to get it.

:beer:

Nice!

Goose egg for me in 5-6 years of playing with a couple knee-benders here and there.  Dunked one into a previous-day's hole location a couple years ago on a really wet day...the ball just got swallowed up by the hole-plug which was kinda cool to see.   

4 minutes ago, Gator Hazard said:

Nice!

And it was on a very low played day, so the bar bill was only $309, of which my HOI insurance paid $300.  :beer:

2 hours ago, ZappyAd said:

I was just watching PGATourLive and an ad for the Champions Tour was playing.  I think the voice over said that the odds for a hole in one are 2500 to 1 (presumably derived from pro stats).  Assuming 4 par 3s per round then something like 1 every 600 rounds

Yes, those are the odds for the pros. And with 144 or 156 players in the field, usually cut to 60 to 80 players on the weekend,  it makes sense that there is a hole in one at nearly every tournament (some have none and some have more than one obviously), as they are pretty much all the same ball striking level.

However, for the average amateur, the odds jump to 1 in 12000 or so, so assuming 4 par 3s per round like you said, that's one in 3000 rounds and if the average (committed) player has a good year at 50 rounds per year, that's a non-trivial 60 years to wait for a hole-in-one!  :whistle:

Luckily, there are executive courses with more par 3s, and the odds also improve as a player gets better, so it's really a continuum between the 1/12000 and 1/2500 odds for most people.  There are always statistical flukes of course, but on average, it holds.

In other words, the better you are, the luckier you get, which is the same principle at play as in "The more I practice, the luckier I get" (Gary Player about holing out from the sand)... :beer:

2 hours ago, ZappyAd said:

This is a bit off-topic, I guess, but if the odds are 2500:1 of getting a hole in one, it's actually closer to 1700 holes before you are more likely to have one than not...so maybe 400 rounds. 

Probabilities are weird.

I'm actually surprised the pro number is so good - they seem even more unlikely than that 1/2500 number would indicate.