IGNORED

How Many Holes-in-One Have You Had (per Years played)?

Midpack
Note: This thread is 2370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

20 years off and on.  Never had a hole-in-one, never seen a hole-in-one.  

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

52 minutes ago, Steve heck said:

Got my first HIO on Saturday. Been playing for 15 years. 151 yds. 8 HC, also had my personal best round of 71 in same round.

Congrats and welcome to TST!

If you plan to stick around and contribute (and we hope you do!), check out the thread above. You can claim things like your hole in one, and possibly that you broke par with that 71 (if par was 71 or lower, I suppose you need to claim breaking 80). 

You'll see these achievements at the lower part of each of our posts. You can find a full list here:

https://thesandtrap.com/awards/

Drill down through the achievements and award categories there.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I've had 5 in the past 4 years.  I started playing golf in 2003 so it took 10 years to get the first.  I'm convinced getting the ace is a 'stroke' of luck.  Yes, there is some skill requirement getting the ball started but there are so many variables.  Still, a great feeling.

Mark in Colorado

2nd One Today - Only took me 36 years to get it.

:beer:

• Upvote 5

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I've had zero but my dad has had seven over about forty years of playing, twenty of them "serious." And all since he retired in 1998. During his serious playing days he's been at best a 12 and normally closer to a 16-20 HC. It's insane the amount he has had. I've only holed four full swings from the fairway.

"Witty golf quote."

0 in 3-4 years.

Frankly I haven't even been close, except the one time I hit it to within 6 inches of the cup... problem was... that was a re-tee after hitting one in the water! :-P

I've seen one ace. A few co-workers and I were playing in a vendor sponsored tournament. One of them is an excellent player and has been playing ~30+ years I think? He had never had an ace before, but he did that day. And it was a ~170+ yard hole. He hit a 9 iron... I hit a 5 iron LOL. The tee box was at a MUCH higher elevation than the green, though.

Edited by jkelley9

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

So nearly 40 years ago I started.

holes in one.....as of this week?......

I did the math - it's 0  (I did see one last year this guy was nearly 70, it was his first, he was SO happy)

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

I was just watching PGATourLive and an ad for the Champions Tour was playing.  I think the voice over said that the odds for a hole in one are 2500 to 1 (presumably derived from pro stats).  Assuming 4 par 3s per round then something like 1 every 600 rounds

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

Goose egg for me in 5-6 years of playing with a couple knee-benders here and there.  Dunked one into a previous-day's hole location a couple years ago on a really wet day...the ball just got swallowed up by the hole-plug which was kinda cool to see.   

- Bill

4 minutes ago, Gator Hazard said:

Nice!

And it was on a very low played day, so the bar bill was only $309, of which my HOI insurance paid $300.  :beer:

• Upvote 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

2 hours ago, ZappyAd said:

I was just watching PGATourLive and an ad for the Champions Tour was playing.  I think the voice over said that the odds for a hole in one are 2500 to 1 (presumably derived from pro stats).  Assuming 4 par 3s per round then something like 1 every 600 rounds

Yes, those are the odds for the pros. And with 144 or 156 players in the field, usually cut to 60 to 80 players on the weekend,  it makes sense that there is a hole in one at nearly every tournament (some have none and some have more than one obviously), as they are pretty much all the same ball striking level.

However, for the average amateur, the odds jump to 1 in 12000 or so, so assuming 4 par 3s per round like you said, that's one in 3000 rounds and if the average (committed) player has a good year at 50 rounds per year, that's a non-trivial 60 years to wait for a hole-in-one!  :whistle:

Luckily, there are executive courses with more par 3s, and the odds also improve as a player gets better, so it's really a continuum between the 1/12000 and 1/2500 odds for most people.  There are always statistical flukes of course, but on average, it holds.

In other words, the better you are, the luckier you get, which is the same principle at play as in "The more I practice, the luckier I get" (Gary Player about holing out from the sand)... :beer:

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

2 hours ago, ZappyAd said:

This is a bit off-topic, I guess, but if the odds are 2500:1 of getting a hole in one, it's actually closer to 1700 holes before you are more likely to have one than not...so maybe 400 rounds. 

Probabilities are weird.

I'm actually surprised the pro number is so good - they seem even more unlikely than that 1/2500 number would indicate.

- John

• 2 weeks later...

Have had three aces, all before the age of 34 - 8/22/75 (16 years old), 8/3/91 (32), 5/5/92 (33).

So you can look at it two ways -

Through 1992, I had 3 aces in 22 years of playing. From 1993-present, I've had none in 24 years.

I prefer to look at the first way. ;)

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!