IGNORED

Out to in or not? I can't decide?

Note: This thread is 2531 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all, how is everyone? So I've posted on here before and everyone was extremely helpful so I thought I'd ask for some opinions.

I'm struggling with a slice since I started with a new pro (other than that everything is spot on) and I can't decide if I'm hitting in to out or if it's something else? 

The video to me doesn't look too much in to out, but I'm no expert.

I'm struggling with it most of all, as during my lessons or when I practice on the range I hit a pretty nice draw. Hard to fix when in only happens on the course 

note: upon watching my self, I realised my shoulder plane was a little shallow, I've addressed this, didnt really help

https://youtu.be/TK6LZRczi1c

Edited by RandallT
Fixed embed

I was just wanting to know if my swing looked out to in/over the top. Not really after tip as such, although they're welcome. 

Just now, Joefree said:

I was just wanting to know if my swing looked out to in/over the top. Not really after tip as such, although they're welcome. 

Can't tell much from goofy camera angle.  

Id say listen to your pro.

Ok mate, thanks, I can tell either. 

My pro thinks I'm mad cos I hardly ever have a bad shot during my lessons haha. Typical right!?

Sounds too me like you need to shallow out your club path. I'd be interested to see how deep your divots are. You might need to look online for some videos about " shallowing out swing path golf ." This should help. Undoubtedly someone else out there has had this same problem. Hope this helps.

8 minutes ago, span3636 said:

Sounds too me like you need to shallow out your club path. I'd be interested to see how deep your divots are. You might need to look online for some videos about " shallowing out swing path golf ." This should help. Undoubtedly someone else out there has had this same problem. Hope this helps.

Yeah, it's something I'm working on, I used to take HUGE divots, not to bad anymore, I hit a nice draw with my irons.

I've been trying to tame my driver for years, I just can't seem to getting coming from the inside. 

Im gonna get my pro to play a couple of rounds with me so he can see what's different from when I hit on the range. 

Thsnks all for confirming for me, I wasn't sure if maybe it was something else. 

9 hours ago, Joefree said:

I'm struggling with it most of all, as during my lessons or when I practice on the range I hit a pretty nice draw. Hard to fix when in only happens on the course 

No comment on your swing, as even with proper video, I'm in no way qualified to help there. But I will offer this... I've spent the past 3 months or so learning to hit a draw (on purpose and) consistently and my experience was similar at first. Perfect draws on the range or while practicing at home, but straight-fades, pushes, and slices on the course.

On the range one day before a round, it just kind of hit me all of the sudden that when I'm on the range, I'm aiming at a target, but not trying to hit a specific yardage. Especially before a round, where I'm more focused on warming up and making proper swings and then watching to see how far the ball goes to get a gauge for the day. The minute I step on the course, I'm trying to hit a yardage and I swing harder. I started hitting draws during the round that day and have kept it up since. They don't always draw enough (or at all), but the bad misses to the right have all but disappeared. YMMV. :-)

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, roamin said:

No comment on your swing, as even with proper video, I'm in no way qualified to help there. But I will offer this... I've spent the past 3 months or so learning to hit a draw (on purpose and) consistently and my experience was similar at first. Perfect draws on the range or while practicing at home, but straight-fades, pushes, and slices on the course.

On the range one day before a round, it just kind of hit me all of the sudden that when I'm on the range, I'm aiming at a target, but not trying to hit a specific yardage. Especially before a round, where I'm more focused on warming up and making proper swings and then watching to see how far the ball goes to get a gauge for the day. The minute I step on the course, I'm trying to hit a yardage and I swing harder. I started hitting draws during the round that day and have kept it up since. They don't always draw enough (or at all), but the bad misses to the right have all but disappeared. YMMV. :-)

I think I do (we all do) swing harder on the course, I might try and have a swing though of only hitting the ball 100 yards with my driver. Maybe that will slow me down. Thanks mate.

11 hours ago, Joefree said:

I think I do (we all do) swing harder on the course, I might try and have a swing though of only hitting the ball 100 yards with my driver. Maybe that will slow me down. Thanks mate.

I tried this today, still hitting a strong fade/slice, just lost 30-40 yards lol. 

I did see one one of the pros briefly today and he said my driver probably isn't helping. It's 9.5 degs with quite a light, reg flex shaft. I swing at 105 miles per hour according to trackman. Clearly not the root of the problem but it's not doing me any favours.

I see out to in..

If you care to hear a perspective from a higher handicapper like me. I can tell you, It seems (to me) that the driver is not coming from "the inside" enough. But It also looks like you are making your first downswing move with your upper body right at the 7th second of the video. I think that is causing you to come just a little over the top, I guess both statements are related..One way or the other I can see the club literally slicing the ball.

That one little move on the 7th second of the video with your upper body might be the problem. 

If I was you...and again, we are all different but I would, and I do when I slice:

1 Try to swing the club a little from further inside and trust it...as if I wanted to hit it to the right, that helps me to flatten the club a little on the downswing just in case i'm coming from over the top but I have to stay connected, follow thru, round and finish my swing other ways I will obviously push the ball

2 I forget your upper body for just the first second of the downswing..leave it behind at first and then accelerate..try not to let your legs fully out race your upper body though. 

3 Finally I would check the grip, for me that is a rare issue though. 

4 posture related to my hips pooping out, and alignment of course some times I close my stance just a little.

I bet you fix this one really soon. I'd be curios to know if what works for me worked for you. 

Edited by Hategolf

On May 14, 2017 at 1:20 PM, Joefree said:

Hello all, how is everyone? So I've posted on here before and everyone was extremely helpful so I thought I'd ask for some opinions.

I'm struggling with a slice since I started with a new pro (other than that everything is spot on) and I can't decide if I'm hitting in to out or if it's something else? 

The video to me doesn't look too much in to out, but I'm no expert.

note: upon watching my self, I realised my shoulder plane was a little shallow, I've addressed this, didnt really help

https://youtu.be/TK6LZRczi1c

I'm not an instructor, so I won't try to fix your issue.  I can however, answer your question, and I don't have to see your swing to do so.

A ball slices (curves to the right for a right handed golfer) because the swing path is outside to inside relative to the club face.  The curve has nothing to do with your target line, or even where your body is pointed.  

If you want to draw the ball (curve it left, as a righty) you need to change the club path so that it is inside to out, again, relative to the club face.

Here's an excellent thread that discusses the subject in detail.

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

(edited)
1 hour ago, Hategolf said:

I see out to in..

If you care to hear a perspective from a higher handicapper like me. I can tell you, It seems (to me) that the driver is not coming from "the inside" enough. But It also looks like you are making your first downswing move with your upper body right at the 7th second of the video. I think that is causing you to come just a little over the top, I guess both statements are related..One way or the other I can see the club literally slicing the ball.

That one little move on the 7th second of the video with your upper body might be the problem. 

If I was you...and again, we are all different but I would, and I do when I slice:

1 Try to swing the club a little from further inside and trust it...as if I wanted to hit it to the right, that helps me to flatten the club a little on the downswing just in case i'm coming from over the top but I have to stay connected, follow thru, round and finish my swing other ways I will obviously push the ball

2 I forget your upper body for just the first second of the downswing..leave it behind at first and then accelerate..try not to let your legs fully out race your upper body though. 

3 Finally I would check the grip, for me that is a rare issue though. 

4 posture related to my hips pooping out, and alignment of course some times I close my stance just a little.

I bet you fix this one really soon. I'd be curios to know if what works for me worked for you. 

Thanks, i naturally want to swing out to in, I've fought with it for years, I just wanted to confirm I wasn't trying to fix something that wasn't happening anymore, as the trackman says in pretty much on plane.

i agree about my swing sequencing, but my pro doesn't seem too worried about it? Maybe that's what I'm doing differently on the range?

Thanks for the tips, i have literally tried everything to get free of this slice with my driver, including all of the above, hundreds of pounds on lessons, hours and hours of practice, I've done all you mention to death and more and it never seems to even make things even slightly better.

i will  persevere though. 

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

I'm not an instructor, so I won't try to fix your issue.  I can however, answer your question, and I don't have to see your swing to do so.

A ball slices (curves to the right for a right handed golfer) because the swing path is outside to inside relative to the club face.  The curve has nothing to do with your target line, or even where your body is pointed.  

If you want to draw the ball (curve it left, as a righty) you need to change the club path so that it is inside to out, again, relative to the club face.

Here's an excellent thread that discusses the subject in detail.

Thanks, I understand the mechanics of what causes my slice, I only wanted to get another POV. For 2 reasons, 1. The track man says I'm pretty much on plane. 2. I had been told that as my ball flight goes right then further right, it could be the result of an open club face. 

Now that I know that it's just my good old out to in swing I can get back to banging my head against a brick wall trying to fix it. 5 years, no change. It's killing me lol. 

I'll defo have a read of the link though thank you. 

Edited by Joefree

I understand how frustrating can be when you just can't figure it out no matter what you try...but the answer has to be in the mechanics. 

Since the face of the club is open no matter what you have tried..may be ....the old "LET IT GO" is in order...soft grip and arms literally, tension 3 out of 10. The club weight placement is there to let the face of the club close on time..I'm 210lbs when I tense up..I get on the way of the club doing its thing and I slice and or hit it short. Or your ball is too far forward? ..I'm sure your pro has addressed ball positioning.

But I am telling you, I see a little out to in swing, as far as I know, the only way to get rid of it is to swing in to out.....:-D, not being sarcastic, just saying some times we over analyze.. I think once you get the right feeling, the slice will be history...pay attention to the feeling when you hit it straight..

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joefree said:

Thanks, i naturally want to swing out to in, I've fought with it for years, I just wanted to confirm I wasn't trying to fix something that wasn't happening anymore, as the trackman says in pretty much on plane.

i agree about my swing sequencing, but my pro doesn't seem too worried about it? Maybe that's what I'm doing differently on the range?

Thanks for the tips, i have literally tried everything to get free of this slice with my driver, including all of the above, hundreds of pounds on lessons, hours and hours of practice, I've done all you mention to death and more and it never seems to even make things even slightly better.

i will  persevere though. 

Thanks, I understand the mechanics of what causes my slice, I only wanted to get another POV. For 2 reasons, 1. The track man says I'm pretty much on plane. 2. I had been told that as my ball flight goes right then further right, it could be the result of an open club face. 

Now that I know that it's just my good old out to in swing I can get back to banging my head against a brick wall trying to fix it. 5 years, no change. It's killing me lol. 

I'll defo have a read of the link though thank you. 

It looks like you're one of those rare slicers who hits the ball with a square path and an open face. 

Your clubface appears open at the top and appears to be quite open at impact. 

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

48 minutes ago, Hategolf said:

I understand how frustrating can be when you just can't figure it out no matter what you try...but the answer has to be in the mechanics. 

Since the face of the club is open no matter what you have tried..may be ....the old "LET IT GO" is in order...soft grip and arms literally, tension 3 out of 10. The club weight placement is there to let the face of the club close on time..I'm 210lbs when I tense up..I get on the way of the club doing its thing and I slice and or hit it short. Or your ball is too far forward? ..I'm sure your pro has addressed ball positioning.

But I am telling you, I see a little out to in swing, as far as I know, the only way to get rid of it is to swing in to out.....:-D, not being sarcastic, just saying some times we over analyze.. I think once you get the right feeling, the slice will be history...pay attention to the feeling when you hit it straight..

20 minutes ago, shortstop20 said:

It looks like you're one of those rare slicers who hits the ball with a square path and an open face. 

Your clubface appears open at the top and appears to be quite open at impact. 

I think it's probably a little of both making a big problem.

i should just leave my driver in the car, I hit my 5i pretty well about 190-200 yards, (everything above that is unreliable) I'd probably walk off with a great score. 

You just cant beat that feeling when you cream a drive 300+ yards down the fair way though, I miss it.

I'm gonna book in with my pro again, it will be my 4th lesson with this pro, not seen any sign of an improvement...yet. 

Note: This thread is 2531 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!