IGNORED

My first U.S. Open Local Qualifying Experience

Shooting29
Note: This thread is 2529 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thanks for sharing. It seems length is dominating the game today, same as HR's were in the Sosa, McGwire baseball days. I'm not sure the risk/reward factor is in balance anymore. Bunkers placed 275 yards out are carried on the fly by pros today. There is no thought of should I try a driver or layup with a 5wood. Bombs away.....

I wonder if a Brad Faxon could even make the tour today.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for sharing.  Putting the "rough day" factor aside, that was cool to read from the perspective of viewing a player like yourself as being on totally different level than me.

I may have to print this out and give it to one of my regular (and delusional) playing partners who thinks he could break 100 on a US Open-setup course.

- Bill

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 minutes ago, Let it Fly said:

Thanks for sharing.  Putting the "rough day" factor aside, that was cool to read from the perspective of viewing a player like yourself as being on totally different level than me.

I may have to print this out and give it to one of my regular (and delusional) playing partners who thinks he could break 100 on a US Open-setup course.

you're welcome,  no way anyone legitimately a 10 or higher is breaking 100 on the course I played. I was a plus when I signed up and hit a slump and played yesterday as a 1.2 There were three forced carries of 240 yards just to reach the fairway across a gorge/creek so if you don't make it, re-tee. the par 3s were must hit because missing the green was death.

31 minutes ago, Let it Fly said:

I'll echo this. Thanks for sharing @Shooting29!

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

My dad is a 7, he hits it straight and solid but not very far. I know his game almost as well as I know my own. Using the distance I played at and knowing the distance he hits it, (220 carry) I figured what even par would be for him. 2 of the par 3s would be par 4s, 2 of the par 4s would be par 5s,  3 of the par 4s would be par 6s due to the forced carry, and 2 of the par 5s would be par 6s so even par for him with his distance would be 83. That's him hitting every fairway and every green in his regulation and 2 putting. If he got a little loose off the tee or on approach shots I can see him going up to triple digits pretty easily. 

Thanks for sharing @Shooting29.  Kudos for giving it a try.  I've done US Amateur qualifiers before and been humbled a bit with a similar experience.  It was probably 7-8 years ago but there was a college kid who drove it straight and pretty long (not crazy long) but always had a shorter iron in his hand...gave himself good opportunities and never in trouble.  He was one of the four qualifiers...shot something like 69-68.  My best round in the couple years I tried was 75 I believe.  Made the cut for the second day one of those years.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Wow! Very eye opening and just goes to show the different levels of the game.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Any thoughts on how you could find the extra distance or are you physically maxxed out you think?  Very humbling to read how even 290ish(?) drives wont cut it at those levels. Thanks for posting this.

Edited by cutchemist42

Great read, and I'll echo the thanks. Impressed you took on the challenge, and it sounded like a slog to get through. Interesting to hear about how you saw people separating themselves, even from solid golfers like yourself. When conditions are tough, it seems those extra yards (with decent accuracy, of course) can mean all the difference- translating to multiple strokes over a tough round like that.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

42 minutes ago, cutchemist42 said:

Any thoughts on how you could find the extra distance or are you physically maxxed out you think?  Very humbling to read how even 290ish(?) drives wont cut it at those levels. Thanks for posting this.

I have an out dated off the rack driver. I hit it too high and put too much spin on it. If I get my launch angle and spin rate down I would pick up some distance but as you all know, new drivers are expensive. Is 20 yards worth 500$ and would 20 make a difference? I'm still hitting mid to long irons and hybrids and still not reaching those par 5s. 

5 hours ago, Shooting29 said:

Course was wet and brutal. I fired an 84.

Are you me? :-D

Local qualifying was rough for me too, but I think I still want to have another go at it next year if my handicap allows for it. 

8 hours ago, Let it Fly said:

You and I must know the same guy. 20.7 handicap index...has no clue what a tournament setup is like. Putting greens are lightning fast and the rough is thicker than a south boston accent.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Even though it wasn't the outcome you wanted, it is still impressive to us higher handicaps.    Thanks for posting.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

11 hours ago, Shooting29 said:

I wore out my 5 wood and my 4 hybrid on second shots and par 3s. I

An enlightening post from a good player that people need to take notice of.

It shows what people don't get. On hard courses, the average player cannot reach par 4s in two. Even playing well with regulation bogeys means that you are doing well to hit par 4s in 3 and 2 putt for bogey without making errors. "Average" players are not hitting close to ANY greens in regulation on these courses unless they fluke a 3 wood onto the one par three that is reachable for them.

Edited by Shorty
  • Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Funny that a guy with ~270 carry is just too short to compete!  Seems like maybe a new driver with a proper fitting might be worth the money if 290 would put you in the mix!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Dang...that sounds like a really difficult course. 

I thought if you can drive it 250 you can compete outside your average men's club, but apparently I was wrong. 

The search for longer shots is not an obsession , is a must if you want to compete.

Note: This thread is 2529 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!