IGNORED

dress code

kiwi g
Note: This thread is 2507 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

do you think golf needs to relax its dress code  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think golf needs to relax its dress code?

• yes
    • no

1 minute ago, Fourputt said:

You need to broaden your horizons - take a road trip out here to the wild west.  You won't have to search very hard to find guys playing in jeans in the spring, fall, and winter.  In the summer not as much, although it still happens.  In the summer most wear shorts, although it's not hard to find t-shirts with those shorts.

I've played in many western states and even lived 5 years in California.  Never Colorado though.  

Again, not really any more than an observation.  Given the experiences of many of you, I'm surprised I can't remember having encountered it in God only knows how many hundreds, likely thousands, of rounds of golf.  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have no problem wearing shorts and a polo shirt (if we play at a club which is not our own and we enjoy the round, we will often buy a golf shirt with the club's logo as a souvenir, so we have quite collection). I fail to understand, however, why golf clubs make life difficult for themselves and make it harder for people to adopt the game by demanding adherence to a more or less restrictive dress code. T-shirts with offensive texts or images are offensive anywhere, not only on golf courses. Being forced to tuck in your shirt on a hot day makes no earthly sense and only increases discomfort, and why should I feel offended if someone chooses to wear their hat backwards? I once refused to play at a course in England which allowed (non-cargo) shorts, but insisted they were accompanied by "knee-length white sports socks"!

As has been pointed out in this thread, it is far more important how someone behaves than what they wear. We desperately need to attract young people to our game to secure the future of so many clubs. When young people join a golf club, they can learn so much about treating others with consideration and respect, let's not make it difficult for them to take that step by insisting on nonsensical dress codes. Disrespect is not accepting other people and their chosen attire or personal identity, and in that sense, dress codes are in themselves much more disrespectful than wearing cargo shorts or wearing your hat the wrong way round.

• Upvote 3

• Administrator

Jeans continue to be one of the dumbest things in which you can play golf. Forget the dress code. It's a lousy material for an athletic endeavor. It soaks up water. Doesn't breathe. Or stretch. Etc.

Atrocious fabric for golf.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

19 hours ago, iacas said:

Jeans continue to be one of the dumbest things in which you can play golf. Forget the dress code. It's a lousy material for an athletic endeavor. It soaks up water. Doesn't breathe. Or stretch. Etc.

I was thinking the same thing.  I can't possibly think of worse things to wear then jeans for golf.  Has to be horribly uncomfortable.  I live in the PNW.  Off season i usually either wear a base layer under golf pants or wear some heavier wool trousers on occasion.  honestly if its any colder then that im probably not playing.

On 5/23/2017 at 6:53 AM, Zekez said:

It would not show it because people like you prefer to put your expectations on others.  Why do/should you care what anyone else wears while golfing?

I found golf to be a game of tradition and I enjoy that. That is also why I dislike when fans yell...mash potatoes! Or get in the hole! on a 500+ yrds tee shot. 

As it relates to comfortable and fun. I have a great time with trousers and a polo shirt. I do love shorts for the summer though.

On 5/23/2017 at 4:22 PM, graham57 said:

"knee-length white sports socks"!

What happened when you explained to them that those 5 words make no sense when combined together.....?

Bill - 

On 5/23/2017 at 5:22 PM, graham57 said:

I once refused to play at a course in England which allowed (non-cargo) shorts, but insisted they were accompanied by "knee-length white sports socks"!

22 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

What happened when you explained to them that those 5 words make no sense when combined together.....?

I once bought a pair of knee length white socks in order to play golf in Australia.  It was no big deal, its their rule, and I was fine with it.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

31 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

Knee-length white sports socks are pretty much required attire for fencing.  Hard to believe I have all the correct attire to play at a snooty club.

27 minutes ago, MRR said:

Knee-length white sports socks are pretty much required attire for fencing.  Hard to believe I have all the correct attire to play at a snooty club.

Fortunately, even at the snootiest, a plastron is unnecessary.   ;-) 

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

On 5/26/2017 at 10:20 AM, DaveP043 said:

I once bought a pair of knee length white socks in order to play golf in Australia.  It was no big deal, its their rule, and I was fine with it.

That just seems like a weird rule to have lol.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

I thought only women wore those. :-D

• Upvote 1

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Saw something intresting during my round the other day.my home club here in new zealand has a pretty relaxed dress code.and I was in my normal sort of outfit for a warm day.plain shorts,and a plain blue Nike t-shirt with no graphics or logos on it.no knee length white socks thou lol.and saw a visitor to our club dressed in golf pants and a polo. But his polo had a big skull and crossbones on it with the skull smoking.just playing devils advocate here,but it would be intresting to see what happened if he turned up at the only course in our area that stipulates a collar.ild argue that a plain t-shirt looks a lot better.(all thou as i said in the original post i always stick a polo on when i play at that club)

On 5/23/2017 at 11:06 PM, iacas said:

Ah, the voice of reason! I used to wear nothing but jeans. I'm now 64 and never wear them. They are too hot when it's hot, and too cold when it's cold. And modern day denim is far from the "Serge de Nimes" fabric that was developed for work clothing and was probably closer to what Carhartt makes!

And maybe some club's rules seems goofy and antiquated. If you don't want to follow the rules, don't play there!

I just don't get what is wrong with cargo shorts? Half of my shorts are this style and I find them my favorite for golf. I don't like the feel of my extra ball and tees in my pocket when playing in golf shorts.

• Upvote 1

On 26/05/2017 at 11:57 PM, rehmwa said:

Does it make sense to write ".........combined together"? Why not just write "............combined"? Let's not call the kettle black. ;-)

Anyway..... the following are excerpts from The Australian Golf Club's Dress Code. They are not typical of what is expected in Australia, but  some of the snootier clubs are very strict and do little to change the stuffy reputation of the game.

‘Sporting attire’. Collared shirts which must be tucked in at all times. Tailored shorts to the knee, with a belt, may be worn. Closed in shoes must be worn with socks at all times (see Definitions for appropriate socks). 

Men - Collared shirts which must be tucked in at all times. Trousers must be tailored and worn with a belt. Tailored shorts to the knee, with a belt, may be worn. When wearing shorts on the course, Members must wear long socks or short white socks which are either plain or which bear only a Golf Club logo. Anklet type socks are not acceptable. Shoes must be of a type which have been specially manufactured for the playing of golf. 

Jeans of any description are not acceptable anywhere in the Clubhouse or on the Course. Children 12 years or younger are exempt. 

If you turn up here wearing socks with a small Nike logo they will sell you a pair of plain white ones for about $30.

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

3 hours ago, Shorty said:

Does it make sense to write ".........combined together"? Why not just write "............combined"? Let's not call the kettle black. ;-)

Anyway..... the following are excerpts from The Australian Golf Club's Dress Code. They are not typical of what is expected in Australia, but  some of the snootier clubs are very strict and do little to change the stuffy reputation of the game.

‘Sporting attire’. Collared shirts which must be tucked in at all times. Tailored shorts to the knee, with a belt, may be worn. Closed in shoes must be worn with socks at all times (see Definitions for appropriate socks). 

Men - Collared shirts which must be tucked in at all times. Trousers must be tailored and worn with a belt. Tailored shorts to the knee, with a belt, may be worn. When wearing shorts on the course, Members must wear long socks or short white socks which are either plain or which bear only a Golf Club logo. Anklet type socks are not acceptable. Shoes must be of a type which have been specially manufactured for the playing of golf. 

Jeans of any description are not acceptable anywhere in the Clubhouse or on the Course. Children 12 years or younger are exempt. 

If you turn up here wearing socks with a small Nike logo they will sell you a pair of plain white ones for about $30.

So I'm guessing lederhosen is right out?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

5 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

So I'm guessing lederhosen is right out?

You can wear it, but you have to do the slap dance after every tee shot (the abridged version of course).

• Upvote 1

Jon

Note: This thread is 2507 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!