IGNORED

dress code

kiwi g
Note: This thread is 2506 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

do you think golf needs to relax its dress code  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think golf needs to relax its dress code?

• yes
    • no

4 hours ago, Shorty said:

Does it make sense to write ".........combined together"? Why not just write "............combined"? Let's not call the kettle black. ;-)

Anyway..... the following are excerpts from The Australian Golf Club's Dress Code. They are not typical of what is expected in Australia, but  some of the snootier clubs are very strict and do little to change the stuffy reputation of the game.

‘Sporting attire’. Collared shirts which must be tucked in at all times. Tailored shorts to the knee, with a belt, may be worn. Closed in shoes must be worn with socks at all times (see Definitions for appropriate socks). 

Men - Collared shirts which must be tucked in at all times. Trousers must be tailored and worn with a belt. Tailored shorts to the knee, with a belt, may be worn. When wearing shorts on the course, Members must wear long socks or short white socks which are either plain or which bear only a Golf Club logo. Anklet type socks are not acceptable. Shoes must be of a type which have been specially manufactured for the playing of golf. 

Jeans of any description are not acceptable anywhere in the Clubhouse or on the Course. Children 12 years or younger are exempt. 

If you turn up here wearing socks with a small Nike logo they will sell you a pair of plain white ones for about $30.

I was fine with all of that until I got to the last sentence...

...I was disappointed that it didn't read "Children 12 years or younger are not allowed."  

;-) 

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In australia, golfers get their lunch money stolen every day

and they cry over their silly tan lines

Bill - 

Wow, the results of this poll are very surprising to me. I don't mind the golf attire, and maybe I'm too much of a newbie, but I do not see a problem in branching out of the traditions that might have helped to keep golf as a sport that is distant to the masses.  There is also an obvious class/status component to the game, which I think is why dress code is so important. But... if I run a  company and want to increase the number of users of my product, I would want to remove all obstacles, and dress code might be an obstacle for some younger people that would get into it if it wasn't presented in the way it currently is. 

I think it's absolutely ridiculous to tell adults how to dress in public.  As long as they're not naked, who cares?  Wear what you want and let other people wear what they want.

4 minutes ago, dnaygs said:

I think it's absolutely ridiculous to tell adults how to dress in public.  As long as they're not naked, who cares?  Wear what you want and let other people wear what they want.

But it's not in "public".  In this case, it's the owners of private property that are setting dress standards for the privilege of playing on their property.

I doubt any of them care what you wear off their property....

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

On the subject of the owners of a club being able to dictate the dress code, I notice where I live that all of the county and city owned courses do not have a dress code at all.  We have a lot of county owned courses in my area and none of them enforce a strict code.  Now, many of the public courses(that are privately owned) do have a dress code.  So I would say that when the actual community owns the golf course, the dress code is not strict..but maybe they don't have the right to enforce a dress code that is any different from any other government owned facility?

I will say even with the lax dress code that I have never seen any one dressed terribly in my area.  That being said, I have played at some courses down the road a bit in Baltimore City where there is not a problem with the golfers attire; but while you are playing vagrants will walk through the middle of the course and their attire might not be up to snuff if they were going to try and play a round.

10 hours ago, Nutsmacker said:

.but maybe they don't have the right to enforce a dress code that is any different from any other government owned facility?

Public courses don't have the luxury to dictate and enforce dress codes that could dissuade people from playing; they need the business.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

1 minute ago, krupa said:

Public courses don't have the luxury to dictate and enforce dress codes that could dissuade people from playing; they need the business.

Not necessarily true.  I know, and have played at, a lot public/municipal courses over the years that adhere to the pretty standard collared shits and no denim requirements.

In David's bag....

10 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Not necessarily true.  I know, and have played at, a lot public/municipal courses over the years that adhere to the pretty standard collared shits and no denim requirements.

That's what I said... many public courses don't have the luxury to dictate and enforce dress codes. :whistle:

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

11 hours ago, David in FL said:

But it's not in "public".  In this case, it's the owners of private property that are setting dress standards for the privilege of playing on their property.

I doubt any of them care what you wear off their property....

I agree with the 1st paragraph.  I'm big on private property rights.

But, knowing a few of these types of people, there certainly is a large portion of them that do care about what others wear and do and act, fortunately, they don't have any control of that.  (in that case, they just get involved in politics)

Bill - 

17 hours ago, dnaygs said:

Bathing costumes at a wedding are OK, then?

I would agree with you if it were possible for people to self censor/manage.

• Upvote 2

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

34 minutes ago, Shorty said:

If only....  

In David's bag....

Here's a question... Do you think a player's behavior is affected by their dress?  If someone is dressed a little better do you think they're more likely to act in a more respectful manner?  I just feel more like a golfer when I'm wearing a golf shirt and shorts or pants.  Fake it until you can make it...

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

18 hours ago, dnaygs said:

If you are fine golfing with your ten-year-old daughter and being paired up with a stranger wearing a Borat Mankini, then I will acknowledge that you believe in what you said.

If you are not fine with the above, then you agree with censorship and simply have a different definition of what is correct censorship.

44 minutes ago, David in FL said:

If only....  

Freedom......we take the good with the bad, or we don't really mean it....

extreme strawman examples excepted I guess

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

• Administrator
20 hours ago, dnaygs said:

Because you're on their private property.

If 90% of their clientele will be less likely to return to play if they see a bunch of guys playing in wife beaters and jean cutoff shorts, then it's perfectly within the property owner's rights to set a dress code that excludes the wife beaters and jean cutoff shorts. In fact, it would be irresponsible from a business perspective not to do so.

9 hours ago, rehmwa said:

But, knowing a few of these types of people, there certainly is a large portion of them that do care about what others wear…

OFF the property? I don't know about that. I don't like people who cheat at golf, but if they're not playing against me or in the same event as me, I don't care at all.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The dress codes are fairly relaxed these days. At most private clubs, I play in sandal spikes (not Oakmont, lol). Most private clubs require you tuck your shirt in, which is fine. I've gone back to tucking it in the last couple years anyway. And I don't think I've played a round in anything but a golf shirt since I was like 12 years old. I'd feel weird wearing something else. I've only found the restriction on cargo shorts to be odd. Like bermuda shorts are somehow more formal. There's no such thing as a formal pair of SHORTS.

Edited by Aguirre

"Witty golf quote."

20 hours ago, Shorty said:

Bathing costumes at a wedding are OK, then?

Yes, totally OK.  I am actually having my wedding soon and I really truly don't care if people show up in bathing suits, pajamas, or whatever they want, as long as they're not naked, which is illegal anyway.  

If someone is ok wearing something so extreme to my wedding that it would make me uncomfortable, then I probably wouldn't want to be friends with that person or invite them to my wedding.

19 hours ago, MRR said:

If you are fine golfing with your ten-year-old daughter and being paired up with a stranger wearing a Borat Mankini, then I will acknowledge that you believe in what you said.

If you are not fine with the above, then you agree with censorship and simply have a different definition of what is correct censorship.

I would not golf with a child and a man wearing that, however, I'm totally fine with him wearing it if that's what he wants to wear.  I will just golf with someone else.  

Note: This thread is 2506 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!