IGNORED

dress code

kiwi g
Note: This thread is 2475 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

do you think golf needs to relax its dress code  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think golf needs to relax its dress code?

• yes
    • no

I was just reading the thread on hear about jason days appearance to present the trophy at the players(wearing jeans & a t-shirt),and weather he was being disrespectful or not. Something that hadn't even occurred to me,until i read that thread. As to me i had no problem with it at all.but dress code in golf is something that's a bit of a hot topic here in new zealand at the moment. And im interested to hear other peoples views on it.

We're lucky here in New Zealand that we're 2nd in the world in golf course's per capita. Which means we have lots of courses to play which is great. But also at the moment the number of people playing golf is down. Which is bad news for a lot of the smaller clubs. So golf nz are trying to get most clubs to relax there dress code,to help entice new players. And move golf away from the upper class stereotype,something that i think is great. A lot of clubs use the word smart casual. Which as i said on the other thread can mean 2 completely different things,to 2 different people. But heres my 2 cents worth on it.

Here in new zealand we really have 3 different types of golf clubs,and i do think the dress code should be different at all of the them. As they are different types of clubs.

At most clubs i believe that the dress code would be fine as, polo-shirt,sports t-shirt or plain t-shirt, plain shorts,jeans(as long as theres no rips or holes) or golf pants.  for 95% of courses i play,i believe that would be fine.

For the other 5%,what i would call "the top courses" i think it should be polo shirt, plain shorts,jeans(as long as theres no rips or holes again) or golf/smart pants. But then after your round is finished,i see nothing wrong with putting on a t-shirt. As long as its not got anything offensive on it or have holes in it.

For me personally i play in shorts and a sports t-shirt at my home club. And then if we go to play a round at the top club in our town,il stick on a polo shirt and shorts. However as we're now entering winter here in the southern hemisphere. I shall be wearing jeans thur the winter(intrested to hear peoples thoughts on this:-D) And a nice warm high neck sports top with a vest/rainjacket.

i do think golf has to relax its dress code a bit, as we live in a different world now then 10,15 or 20 years ago. And a lot of young adults i believe are partly put off  by the dress code.

Il be interested to hear peoples thoughts on this

Edited by kiwi g
add poll

Dayton has a ton of courses that range from the wild and woolly munis that I play to some very fancy country clubs that I get to see from the road when I drive past them. The dress codes generally follow suit. It's the sleeves-optional set for me most of the time, but when I get the rare chance its no problem to tuck the shirt in and follow the custom.

• Upvote 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ah, the dress codes for golf.

Our onetime school college president got into trouble for this. His top private club put him on six months' probation for playing golf with his shirt tail out on a 100* F day.

In the USA, part of the concern over golf dress codes came after the social upheaval of the Sixties (Vietnam war, civil rights activism). Golf clubs took on the mantle of the last bastions of respectable behavior, with the mandate of collared shirts, no jeans - and  among club and PGA pros, no beards or mustaches or (on TV!) shorts.

T-shirts are a more recent concern. Some of the objection to T-shirts comes from what you get with the shirts. Some free spirits wear shirts that contain obscenities, or remarks insulting to women and minorities. So, the T-shirt ban likely will survive.

The thing that bugs me (and Michael Jordan) is the ban on cargo shorts (or even cargo trousers) at some of the upscale clubs. A couple of years ago I played in the local Senior Olympics golf tournament, and half of us wore cargo shorts. One guy from an upscale club work cargo shorts with us, but lamented he had failed to convince the rules committee back home to remove the ban.

Along with banning cargo shorts, some clubs also will jump on players who wear their hats backward. :~(

So, golfdom has ended up pursuing two conflicting objectives:

1. Be accommodating and attract more people to the game.
  2. Keep out the rifraff who will scare current players away from the game.

I think the dress code comes as a prevent-defense move against those in society who have terrible manners.

Edited by WUTiger
  • Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I'm not sure how many public courses would require a polo type shirt. I know most do not care it you wear cargo shorts or jeans. 

Most people will wear a polo type shirt. Very rare do I see golfers wearing a tree shirt. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Golf doesn't have a dress code.  Many courses do.

If someone wants to dress down, there are generally courses to be found that allow it.  Although there may be exceptions, they also tend to be courses with modest facilities and mediocre conditions.  

Personally, I prefer nicer courses.  If those courses are a little less crowded because some people object to dressing a little nicer, so much the better. ;-) 

• Upvote 4

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Mine is a collared shirt and non-distressed jeans are fine. I don't have any issue with that. I usually wear jeans in the cooler weather and a cargo type shorts in the summer. They have made public players buy a shirt if they want to play, mostly on weekends. The pro is a bit more flexible weekdays.

In my local area I can't think of a course where I couldn't go out and play wearing jeans (without holes or rips) and a plain t-shirt that isn't excessively baggy. The only course that might object would be Fox Hill Country Club, but I've played a practice round for a tournament there after school wearing jeans and a t-shirt without issues in the past. 

I voted "no". Most golf courses I play seem to have a dress code perfectly tailored to their clientele...the private clubs and more expensive public courses require collared shirts, while cheaper places allow t-shirts or even jeans.

Of course, who the heck wants to play golf in jeans?!?

• Upvote 2

- John

10 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

I've always wondered exactly the same thing!  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

ive always liked the collar shirt, tucked in look personally.  i usually wear pants but have nothing against shorts.  i just kinda like the properly attired look.  

i cant imagine playing in jeans

1 hour ago, Hardspoon said:

People who enjoy comfort and don't live where it's too hot or humid. 

I probably wear jeans 320 days out of the year or so, with many of those days being golf days.

9 hours ago, David in FL said:

Golf doesn't have a dress code.  Many courses do.

If someone wants to dress down, there are generally courses to be found that allow it.  Although there may be exceptions, they also tend to be courses with modest facilities and mediocre conditions.  

Personally, I prefer nicer courses.  If those courses are a little less crowded because some people object to dressing a little nicer, so much the better. ;-) 

Great point.

I find a polo and shorts very comfortable playing. Now if they required a tie, then I may play somewhere else!

And as for jeans, calling @Fourputt!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

My local club only requires a collared shirt.   I'm good with that.  

I am playing a course Monday that specifically requires a collared shirt and no denim.   Not a problem, that's their rules and as a guest, I can live with it.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

6 hours ago, Pretzel said:

People who enjoy comfort and don't live where it's too hot or humid. 

Huh. Maybe that's why I don't mind the "ban" on them - I find them much less comfortable than golf pants.

If all dress codes were eliminated (ignoring the social-norm factor), based solely on comfort, I'd probably play in what I wear to the range: a tee shirt and athletic shorts/pants or sweatpants.

- John

I went golfing a few weeks ago and my buddy wore a collared shirt and cargo shorts. The golf shop said you cannot wear cargo shorts and they made him buy a pair of their 'golf shorts.'
  Part of it makes me think it is just their 'rule' which can force you into an unnecessary purchasing situation to generate additional revenue for the club

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Mpike926 said:

I went golfing a few weeks ago and my buddy wore a collared shirt and cargo shorts. The golf shop said you cannot wear cargo shorts and they made him buy a pair of their 'golf shorts.'
  Part of it makes me think it is just their 'rule' which can force you into an unnecessary purchasing situation to generate additional revenue for the club

He should have asked for scissors and cut the pockets off right in front of them.

"Good to go!"

Edited by Hardspoon

- John

Very few courses around my area are sticklers for dress code but one in particular will require a collared shirt and has plenty to buy if you arrived without one. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Note: This thread is 2475 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!