IGNORED

Cook steaks from frozen not thawed!

saevel25
Note: This thread is 2450 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, jamo said:

A friend of mine has one and swears by it. Someday I'll take the plunge.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KSFAB74/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have this one and I've been very pleased with the results. 

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

The video suggests that it does.

Regardless, I'll stick with the tried and true.  There's a reason that fine steak houses don't cook their steaks while frozen.  Or, for that matter, freeze them in the  first place.  

True, but you are not getting the steaks as fresh as the good steak house do. 

Also, most people don't have the same cooking equipment. Especially when they are using broilers that can reach above 1000 degrees. 

If you want that high of heat you'll need to cook nearly directly on white hot coals. 

It's not a bad idea for those who like to buy steaks in bulk and freeze them. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Question, how many steaks can you do at once in one of those soos veeday machines?

Also, has anyone tried one of those Himalayan salt grill slabs?

Colin P.

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

The one method I want to try is cooking a steak directly on some chunk charcoal.

This is one of my favorite ways. You definitely need some dry rub on the steak so the meat doesn't get scorched. Here are the results.

IMG_4280.jpg

IMG_4281.jpg

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I've tried steaks cooked by many methods. Each have their pro's and con's. 

My favorite right now is the sous vide machine. The one method I want to try is cooking a steak directly on some chunk charcoal. I saw a video where Alton Brown did this. Another method is to put a grate onto of a chimney starter. You can get some serious concentration of heat. 

I'm not sure how I feel about the steaks directly on coals method. Sounds like some Bear Grylls survivor stuff, I'll do it if I'm stuck in a forest with just a knife and one match if I have too but otherwise probably pass (in all fairness I have not seen that and will now have to check out the video). The chimney starter idea though sounds very interesting. It's probably like the slow and sear (which I have yet to buy, maybe ask for it for Father's Day). 

10 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Question, how many steaks can you do at once in one of those soos veeday machines?

Also, has anyone tried one of those Himalayan salt grill slabs?

Depends on the size of the container. It might take longer to heat up, but also larger volume of water is easier to maintain temperature. I could probably use my machine on 24 gallon plastic container. Which could probably do two dozen steaks. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

10 hours ago, alfriday said:

I learned something tonight.  Apparently Trolls don't like steak.  

For beef I prefer a nice burger or something marinated and stir fried similar to Mongolian beef over rice. 

Same way with ribs for me.  Just don't care for them.  

The best steaks I ever had were after a long day of hunting cooked over an open fire and cut to fit a sourdough roll.  Steak sandwiches!

Edited by Jack Watson

5 minutes ago, Jack Watson said:

For beef I prefer a nice burger or something marinated and stir fried similar to Mongolian beef over rice. 

Same way with ribs for me.  Just don't care for them.  

If you get a steak, how do you ask for it cooked?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

10 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

If you get a steak, how do you ask for it cooked?

Can't remember the last time I ordered a steak out.  If I do cook steak I usually rub it and grill it and if anything I prefer a touch on the rare side.   I am obviously not an aficionado.

im decent at grilling duck when I've killed some.  Those are good and the portions are small.

Edited by Jack Watson

2 minutes ago, Jack Watson said:

Can't remember the last time I ordered a steak out.  If I do cook steak I usually rub it and grill it and if anything I prefer a touch on the rare side.   I am obviously not an aficionado.

Just curious. I would have guessed you preferred then more well done. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

1 hour ago, chspeed said:

This is one of my favorite ways. You definitely need some dry rub on the steak so the meat doesn't get scorched. Here are the results.

IMG_4280.jpg

IMG_4281.jpg

Cool, thanks for sharing. Looks great.

@saevel25 Damn it, Matt, now I have to eat a steak today! Knew I shouldn't have clicked on this thread....

Constantine

Meat, fire, eat! The essence of being a hunter!

I cheat by using gas but wood is far superior! Overpriced French pressure cooker......no way.

I buy my beef, pork and lamb once a year at the county fair 4H auction.  I know the youths who raised the animals and how they are raised.  The local locker ages to my liking and butchers to my specs.  The down side is most has to be frozen.  Still, I prefer to store bought.  

As for restaurants, I went a long time without ordering meat.  Mine was so much better.  I'd order fish or shell fish.  Then I started fishing in Florida and catching my own snapper and grouper.  As for hunting, I spend most of the year in small town Iowa.  The fields are full of corn finished deer, pheasant, ducks, geese, turkey, and quail.  Not a bad way to round out a diet.

Regarding pork.  Anyone else tried Mangelista Pork, aka Hungarian Royal Pork?  The best pork I've ever had.  It's definitely not your "other white meat."     

15 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

Get a sous vide machine, problem solved.  I have an Anova, kicks ass. 

Reverse sear FTW! Thank you for reminding me that I need to get one of those.

5 hours ago, David in FL said:

Regardless, I'll stick with the tried and true.  There's a reason that fine steak houses don't cook their steaks while frozen.  Or, for that matter, freeze them in the  first place. 

That's because you can't dry age frozen meat.

What is a frozen steak anyway? Never heard of such a thing. 

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

3 hours ago, Jack Watson said:

No,  it's like duck.  Overcook it and its awful.

Speaking of which, sous vide is an excellent way to do duck breast. I like to do duck a l'Orange sous vide. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Well, I agree and disagree with so many here. Overcooked meat is dry, tasteless, and tough! It doesn't matter what!

Here is how I was taught to grill a steak. Thaw the steak(s) in the frig. When thawed bring them out and salt well on both sides. Cover and allow to slowly rise to room temp. By this time you should have your grill going. Hardwood is best, charcoal is better, propane is OK. Once the grill has reached the proper temp, and the steaks are room temp, salt both sides again and place on hot grill.

You need a hot side and a warm side to the grill. The hot side is for the initial searing and grill marks. The warm side is for finishing the cooking. I don't need some damned machine telling me my steak is done! I've cooked enough of them that I know. I like to be involved in the preparation of what I eat.

And for the guy who didn't want to taste the grill, but only the steak, I like to taste both! A properly grilled steak will give you that. Let's not forget that a lot of the "smoke" flavor in a grilled steak comes from the fat dripping off the steak into the fire!

About the only time I will countenance a departure from this idea is if you decide to cook the whole slab of meat in it's entirety. One of the greatest occasions I've ever enjoyed is when I was invited to partake in a feast featuring a fine bottle of red Burgundy. 1961 Savigny les Beaune, Vergelesse, produced and bottled by the Hospice de Beaune! Wine afficionados will know what I mean by this.

As a gift for the invitation, I brought a bottle of Chateauneuf  du Pape, Les Cedre, 1969 by Paul Jaboulet Aine! These are the two most impressive bottles of wine I have ever enjoyed!

The host decided to take a whole strip loin, trimmed, and bake it in the oven like you would a prime rib. Guess what it came out tasting like? You guessed it, prime rib! It was incredible!

6 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Well, I agree and disagree with so many here. Overcooked meat is dry, tasteless, and tough! It doesn't matter what!

Here is how I was taught to grill a steak. Thaw the steak(s) in the frig. When thawed bring them out and salt well on both sides. Cover and allow to slowly rise to room temp. By this time you should have your grill going. Hardwood is best, charcoal is better, propane is OK. Once the grill has reached the proper temp, and the steaks are room temp, salt both sides again and place on hot grill.

You need a hot side and a warm side to the grill. The hot side is for the initial searing and grill marks. The warm side is for finishing the cooking. I don't need some damned machine telling me my steak is done! I've cooked enough of them that I know. I like to be involved in the preparation of what I eat.

And for the guy who didn't want to taste the grill, but only the steak, I like to taste both! A properly grilled steak will give you that. Let's not forget that a lot of the "smoke" flavor in a grilled steak comes from the fat dripping off the steak into the fire!

About the only time I will countenance a departure from this idea is if you decide to cook the whole slab of meat in it's entirety. One of the greatest occasions I've ever enjoyed is when I was invited to partake in a feast featuring a fine bottle of red Burgundy. 1961 Savigny les Beaune, Vergelesse, produced and bottled by the Hospice de Beaune! Wine afficionados will know what I mean by this.

As a gift for the invitation, I brought a bottle of Chateauneuf  du Pape, Les Cedre, 1969 by Paul Jaboulet Aine! These are the two most impressive bottles of wine I have ever enjoyed!

The host decided to take a whole strip loin, trimmed, and bake it in the oven like you would a prime rib. Guess what it came out tasting like? You guessed it, prime rib! It was incredible!

Châteauneuf du Pape is good but hugely overrated. Plenty of wines from the Rhone that are equally as impressive at a far more resonable price point. You're paying for marketing. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

40 minutes ago, Ernest Jones said:

Châteauneuf du Pape is good but hugely overrated. Plenty of wines from the Rhone that are equally as impressive at a far more resonable price point. You're paying for marketing. 

Yeah, pretty much this ^^^^.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 2450 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!