Jump to content
IGNORED

Cook steaks from frozen not thawed!


Note: This thread is 1454 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, jamo said:

A friend of mine has one and swears by it. Someday I'll take the plunge.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KSFAB74/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have this one and I've been very pleased with the results. 

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

The video suggests that it does.

Regardless, I'll stick with the tried and true.  There's a reason that fine steak houses don't cook their steaks while frozen.  Or, for that matter, freeze them in the  first place.  

True, but you are not getting the steaks as fresh as the good steak house do. 

Also, most people don't have the same cooking equipment. Especially when they are using broilers that can reach above 1000 degrees. 

If you want that high of heat you'll need to cook nearly directly on white hot coals. 

It's not a bad idea for those who like to buy steaks in bulk and freeze them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Question, how many steaks can you do at once in one of those soos veeday machines?

Also, has anyone tried one of those Himalayan salt grill slabs?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

The one method I want to try is cooking a steak directly on some chunk charcoal.

 

This is one of my favorite ways. You definitely need some dry rub on the steak so the meat doesn't get scorched. Here are the results.

 

IMG_4280.jpg

IMG_4281.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I've tried steaks cooked by many methods. Each have their pro's and con's. 

My favorite right now is the sous vide machine. The one method I want to try is cooking a steak directly on some chunk charcoal. I saw a video where Alton Brown did this. Another method is to put a grate onto of a chimney starter. You can get some serious concentration of heat. 

 

I'm not sure how I feel about the steaks directly on coals method. Sounds like some Bear Grylls survivor stuff, I'll do it if I'm stuck in a forest with just a knife and one match if I have too but otherwise probably pass (in all fairness I have not seen that and will now have to check out the video). The chimney starter idea though sounds very interesting. It's probably like the slow and sear (which I have yet to buy, maybe ask for it for Father's Day). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Question, how many steaks can you do at once in one of those soos veeday machines?

Also, has anyone tried one of those Himalayan salt grill slabs?

Depends on the size of the container. It might take longer to heat up, but also larger volume of water is easier to maintain temperature. I could probably use my machine on 24 gallon plastic container. Which could probably do two dozen steaks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 hours ago, alfriday said:

I learned something tonight.  Apparently Trolls don't like steak.  

For beef I prefer a nice burger or something marinated and stir fried similar to Mongolian beef over rice. 

Same way with ribs for me.  Just don't care for them.  

The best steaks I ever had were after a long day of hunting cooked over an open fire and cut to fit a sourdough roll.  Steak sandwiches!

 

 

Edited by Jack Watson
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jack Watson said:

For beef I prefer a nice burger or something marinated and stir fried similar to Mongolian beef over rice. 

Same way with ribs for me.  Just don't care for them.  

 

If you get a steak, how do you ask for it cooked?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

If you get a steak, how do you ask for it cooked?

Can't remember the last time I ordered a steak out.  If I do cook steak I usually rub it and grill it and if anything I prefer a touch on the rare side.   I am obviously not an aficionado.

im decent at grilling duck when I've killed some.  Those are good and the portions are small.

Edited by Jack Watson
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jack Watson said:

Can't remember the last time I ordered a steak out.  If I do cook steak I usually rub it and grill it and if anything I prefer a touch on the rare side.   I am obviously not an aficionado.

Just curious. I would have guessed you preferred then more well done. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, chspeed said:

This is one of my favorite ways. You definitely need some dry rub on the steak so the meat doesn't get scorched. Here are the results.

 

IMG_4280.jpg

IMG_4281.jpg

Cool, thanks for sharing. Looks great.

@saevel25 Damn it, Matt, now I have to eat a steak today! Knew I shouldn't have clicked on this thread....

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Meat, fire, eat! The essence of being a hunter!

I cheat by using gas but wood is far superior! Overpriced French pressure cooker......no way.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I buy my beef, pork and lamb once a year at the county fair 4H auction.  I know the youths who raised the animals and how they are raised.  The local locker ages to my liking and butchers to my specs.  The down side is most has to be frozen.  Still, I prefer to store bought.  

As for restaurants, I went a long time without ordering meat.  Mine was so much better.  I'd order fish or shell fish.  Then I started fishing in Florida and catching my own snapper and grouper.  As for hunting, I spend most of the year in small town Iowa.  The fields are full of corn finished deer, pheasant, ducks, geese, turkey, and quail.  Not a bad way to round out a diet.

 

Regarding pork.  Anyone else tried Mangelista Pork, aka Hungarian Royal Pork?  The best pork I've ever had.  It's definitely not your "other white meat."     

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
15 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

Get a sous vide machine, problem solved.  I have an Anova, kicks ass. 

Reverse sear FTW! Thank you for reminding me that I need to get one of those.

5 hours ago, David in FL said:

Regardless, I'll stick with the tried and true.  There's a reason that fine steak houses don't cook their steaks while frozen.  Or, for that matter, freeze them in the  first place. 

That's because you can't dry age frozen meat.

What is a frozen steak anyway? Never heard of such a thing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Jack Watson said:

No,  it's like duck.  Overcook it and its awful.

Speaking of which, sous vide is an excellent way to do duck breast. I like to do duck a l'Orange sous vide. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, I agree and disagree with so many here. Overcooked meat is dry, tasteless, and tough! It doesn't matter what!

Here is how I was taught to grill a steak. Thaw the steak(s) in the frig. When thawed bring them out and salt well on both sides. Cover and allow to slowly rise to room temp. By this time you should have your grill going. Hardwood is best, charcoal is better, propane is OK. Once the grill has reached the proper temp, and the steaks are room temp, salt both sides again and place on hot grill.

You need a hot side and a warm side to the grill. The hot side is for the initial searing and grill marks. The warm side is for finishing the cooking. I don't need some damned machine telling me my steak is done! I've cooked enough of them that I know. I like to be involved in the preparation of what I eat.

And for the guy who didn't want to taste the grill, but only the steak, I like to taste both! A properly grilled steak will give you that. Let's not forget that a lot of the "smoke" flavor in a grilled steak comes from the fat dripping off the steak into the fire!

About the only time I will countenance a departure from this idea is if you decide to cook the whole slab of meat in it's entirety. One of the greatest occasions I've ever enjoyed is when I was invited to partake in a feast featuring a fine bottle of red Burgundy. 1961 Savigny les Beaune, Vergelesse, produced and bottled by the Hospice de Beaune! Wine afficionados will know what I mean by this.

As a gift for the invitation, I brought a bottle of Chateauneuf  du Pape, Les Cedre, 1969 by Paul Jaboulet Aine! These are the two most impressive bottles of wine I have ever enjoyed!

The host decided to take a whole strip loin, trimmed, and bake it in the oven like you would a prime rib. Guess what it came out tasting like? You guessed it, prime rib! It was incredible!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Well, I agree and disagree with so many here. Overcooked meat is dry, tasteless, and tough! It doesn't matter what!

Here is how I was taught to grill a steak. Thaw the steak(s) in the frig. When thawed bring them out and salt well on both sides. Cover and allow to slowly rise to room temp. By this time you should have your grill going. Hardwood is best, charcoal is better, propane is OK. Once the grill has reached the proper temp, and the steaks are room temp, salt both sides again and place on hot grill.

You need a hot side and a warm side to the grill. The hot side is for the initial searing and grill marks. The warm side is for finishing the cooking. I don't need some damned machine telling me my steak is done! I've cooked enough of them that I know. I like to be involved in the preparation of what I eat.

And for the guy who didn't want to taste the grill, but only the steak, I like to taste both! A properly grilled steak will give you that. Let's not forget that a lot of the "smoke" flavor in a grilled steak comes from the fat dripping off the steak into the fire!

About the only time I will countenance a departure from this idea is if you decide to cook the whole slab of meat in it's entirety. One of the greatest occasions I've ever enjoyed is when I was invited to partake in a feast featuring a fine bottle of red Burgundy. 1961 Savigny les Beaune, Vergelesse, produced and bottled by the Hospice de Beaune! Wine afficionados will know what I mean by this.

As a gift for the invitation, I brought a bottle of Chateauneuf  du Pape, Les Cedre, 1969 by Paul Jaboulet Aine! These are the two most impressive bottles of wine I have ever enjoyed!

The host decided to take a whole strip loin, trimmed, and bake it in the oven like you would a prime rib. Guess what it came out tasting like? You guessed it, prime rib! It was incredible!

Châteauneuf du Pape is good but hugely overrated. Plenty of wines from the Rhone that are equally as impressive at a far more resonable price point. You're paying for marketing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

40 minutes ago, Ernest Jones said:

Châteauneuf du Pape is good but hugely overrated. Plenty of wines from the Rhone that are equally as impressive at a far more resonable price point. You're paying for marketing. 

Yeah, pretty much this ^^^^.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1454 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...