IGNORED

Dana Dahlquist Online Academy Now Live

Hi guys, wanted to let everyone know golf instructor Dana Dahlquist online academy is now live.

https://danadahlquistgolf.com/

Dana is one of the best golf instructors in the world and has gained a lot of popularity over the years sharing valuable content through his YouTube channel, and daily Instagram posts. He's also worked with Charles Howell III, Brad Faxon, Daniel Summerhays and other PGA Tour winners/players.

Dana is a friend of mine, has helped me with my own game and been very influential with my knowledge of the golf swing. Dana and I even did a video together for this thread a few years ago. I'm really happy for him that he's built a site like this where he can organize and share his thoughts and teachings on the golf swing.

I've gone through most of the videos on his new academy and it's great stuff. The videos cover many aspects of the golf instruction such as the ball flight laws, full swing, how to make changes, short game and putting. Most videos are 1-2 minutes and while Dana can get as technical as anyone out there these videos are simple and easy to understand. If you've ever seen his posts and wondered how he gets these students to make their swing changes this is the perfect introduction to Dana's preferences and the information he shares with students. There is even a glossary section in case some of the terms are new to viewers. As far as I know the plan is to continue to update the site with new content.

My favorite clips are the "over the shoulder" and online lessons where you watch other players receive instruction from Dana. The other videos are useful but to me watching the lessons really connects the dots from golf theory to practical application. Every lesson handles a different aspect of the swing as each student has different priorities.

Whether you're a low handicapper trying to take those last couple strokes off or a high handicapper looking to break 90, I'd strongly recommend visiting the site and learning more. There are even some plans that include membership to the site with online lessons included.

Here's a couple screen shots of the video library. 

Screen_Shot_2017-05-25_at_10_19.59_PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-25 at 10.20.35 PM.png

If anyone is interested in checking out the content, Dana has been nice enough to offer TST members a discount, the coupon code is "thesandtrap" for 10% off.

Since I've known Dana a while and gone through most of the content I'm happy to try and answer any questions you guys might have.

• Upvote 3

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Oh, how cool!  Dana is a really good teacher!

I'll check out the site a little later when I have some time to peruse.  I like the looks of it from the screenshots.

Thanks for sharing, @mvmac. I'm sure @nevets88 will be interested assuming he doesn't already know.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 5/25/2017 at 10:45 PM, mvmac said:

If anyone is interested in checking out the content, Dana has been nice enough to offer TST members a discount, I'll be sharing a coupon code soon.

1 hour ago, mchepp said:

Very nice of him to offer a discount as well. 

Coupon code is "thesandtrap" for 10% off.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

2 hours ago, billchao said:

Thanks for sharing, @mvmac. I'm sure @nevets88 will be interested assuming he doesn't already know.

I'm halfway through the videos, went straight to the transition and downswing section. Would highly recommend to any who are students of the swing.

• Upvote 2

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

12 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I'm halfway through the videos, went straight to the transition and downswing section. Would highly recommend to any who are students of the swing.

Mr. Reliable. We can count on you for immediate consumption. Where can we find a running "top 10" from you? I am interested in seeing what videos would make that list. 

17 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Coupon code is "thesandtrap" for 10% off.

Outstanding!

Michael

I see some difference on Dana's method.  On the transition, he said to have the weight (presure?) still on the right leg creting a bowing squat position, also mention not to have the right forearm coming down as the move is by the pivot.  This seems difference with the teaching on "how to create lag..." where it was mention that we should lower the right forearm on the transition, and move the pressure forward, then move up to create power..

It seems to me that Dana's is using a Right Anchor pivot on the transition, and he is saying this is the right thing to swing or create power.  Maybe both method is correct and depends on the person?

I am just confused and would like your comments.

4 hours ago, mchepp said:

Mr. Reliable. We can count on you for immediate consumption. Where can we find a running "top 10" from you? I am interested in seeing what videos would make that list. 

Outstanding!

To be honest, I binged on the videos like I would for an addicting tv show (I've binged university lectures too - not recommended) so everything's fuzzy and unorganized right now but there is "new" stuff I learned I haven't before, maybe it would be old hat to instructors or maybe it was stuff I forgot. The videos that stuck out to me are the ones that described what to do from A4, he also describes where foot pressure should go, pivot, etc... There's also a short video on how to hit it longer that was interesting. Plus how to hit low draws and fades. There's a section on how to learn and if you've been reading this site, you know most of that, but still a good watch. There is a lot of stuff, ball flight, contact and I still haven't got to the lesson videos @mvmac likes.

16 minutes ago, Taigolf said:

I see some difference on Dana's method.  On the transition, he said to have the weight (presure?) still on the right leg creting a bowing squat position, also mention not to have the right forearm coming down as the move is by the pivot.  This seems difference with the teaching on "how to create lag..." where it was mention that we should lower the right forearm on the transition, and move the pressure forward, then move up to create power..

It seems to me that Dana's is using a Right Anchor pivot on the transition, and he is saying this is the right thing to swing or create power.  Maybe both method is correct and depends on the person?

I think this is individual, what you feel, there is an option on the site for online lessons from Dana or instructors he has vetted, maybe you could try that. 

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Nice!  I'll look through it before too long.  Winter 2016, I took an in-person lesson with Dana at the suggestion of my Evolvr instructor and was very impressed.  

• Upvote 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

9 hours ago, nevets88 said:

To be honest, I binged on the videos like I would for an addicting tv show (I've binged university lectures too - not recommended) so everything's fuzzy and unorganized right now but there is "new" stuff I learned I haven't before, maybe it would be old hat to instructors or maybe it was stuff I forgot. The videos that stuck out to me are the ones that described what to do from A4, he also describes where foot pressure should go, pivot, etc... There's also a short video on how to hit it longer that was interesting. Plus how to hit low draws and fades. There's a section on how to learn and if you've been reading this site, you know most of that, but still a good watch. There is a lot of stuff, ball flight, contact and I still haven't got to the lesson videos @mvmac likes.

I think this is individual, what you feel, there is an option on the site for online lessons from Dana or instructors he has vetted, maybe you could try that. 

Read more  

My name is Steve and I have a binge watching problem. :-P

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

10 hours ago, Taigolf said:

I guess this is the "new" Gankas-like (Como? someone mention his name but I have no confirmation) move that Dana has introduced in his teaching a year or so ago (from what I've seen in his public videos). Very different from the "S&T-like" transition from earlier. In his student videos on instagram I see both types of swings  now.

2 hours ago, Etzwane said:

I guess this is the "new" Gankas-like (Como? someone mention his name but I have no confirmation) move that Dana has introduced in his teaching a year or so ago (from what I've seen in his public videos). Very different from the "S&T-like" transition from earlier. In his student videos on instagram I see both types of swings  now.

I've seen Dahlquist demonstrate the move in his old YouTube videos, dunno who was first in this regard (and does it really matter), and @mvmac is better suited to answer, but I'm guessing Dahlquist has been teaching the "move" for awhile. Gankas' demonstration of it is a little more extreme, there's a more protracted external rotation look, Dahlquist's looks calmer, more gradual, but they are both in the rotate before lateral camp. Not sure if that's something they'd give to a complete beginner who isn't hips too much towards to the target in transition, someone who is more experienced.

Steve

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

I've seen Dahlquist demonstrate the move in his old YouTube videos, dunno who was first in this regard (and does it really matter), and @mvmac is better suited to answer, but I'm guessing Dahlquist has been teaching the "move" for awhile. Gankas' demonstration of it is a little more extreme, there's a more protracted external rotation look, Dahlquist's looks calmer, more gradual, but they are both in the rotate before lateral camp. Not sure if that's something they'd give to a complete beginner who isn't hips too much towards to the target in transition, someone who is more experienced.

I haven't had a chance to watch the videos myself yet, but, here are a couple that show a transition move he was teaching to one of his more excellent students a couple of years ago.

I also have an ~8 minute lesson video if anybody wants to see it??

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I also have an ~8 minute lesson video if anybody wants to see it??

Absolutely!

• Upvote 1

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

22 minutes ago, coachjimsc said:

Absolutely!

Here it is:

I doubt this one is included in his website due to the subject being just too darn handsome.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, nevets88 said:

I've seen Dahlquist demonstrate the move in his old YouTube videos, dunno who was first in this regard (and does it really matter)

It's Sam Snead's squat move, so no, it's nothing new.

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread