Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Al B Tross

Tiger Troubles - DUI Arrest

Note: This thread is 917 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

327 posts / 24211 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

I'm glad I'm not one of those that skewered the guy the moment this story came out, I admit I first thought he was partying as well, but at least I didn't run to the boards to announce my distaste, because those people look like idiots right now.

The guy made a mistake yes, but taking meds for a major surgery and having an issue at the wheel is a very different animal than drinking. I have sympathy for the guy and am glad he's OK, and throwing hate at Tiger right now is pretty low IMO.

Edited by MrDC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, MrDC said:

I'm glad I'm not one of those that skewered the guy the moment this story came out, I admit I first thought he was partying as well, but at least I didn't run to the boards to announce my distaste, because those people look like idiots right now.

The guy made a mistake yes, but taking meds for a major surgery and having an issue at the wheel is a very different animal than drinking. I have sympathy for the guy and am glad he's OK, and throwing hate at Tiger right now is pretty low IMO.

It's all part of the new mob mentality of the internet.  I'm not a Tiger Fan and boycotted Nike for almost 2 years because of his actions... but I think there needs to be more information before anyone can judge anything.  I'm waiting for the toxicology screen to see what was actually in his system.  Then I will get out the torches and pitch forks... but not until then.  I have principles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 hours ago, Shorty said:

In the days before the internet and instant mass communication many reputations would have suffered,

These days you can't just pat people on the head and let them get away with things like this. Police have chest cameras, do they not?

In addition to this there have been multiple instances where cops have tried to just be nice guys and let someone go, and that person gets in an accident right afterward. The police department is then liable because it usually comes out that the cops had let them go. That happened enough times that they said no more, and now everyone pretty much plays by the same rules. 

Ive seen judges, sheriffs, other cops, etc get pulled over and put in the back of the car. With the advent of Lyft and Uber there really is no excuse anymore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, David in FL said:

Who "expects more" from him?  I expect exactly what I would expect of anyone.  That they obey the laws, don't put others at unnecessary risk, and conduct themselves in a manner that generally conforms to societal norms.

The only reason we even know about this is because of his celebrity.  If you or I did the exact same thing, no one outside of our relatively small circle of acquaintances would ever know, but that doesn't mean that our actions would be considered in any less egregious. 

I think what he meant David is "we don't expect this type of behavior" from him.  I agree that this happens all the time to thousands of people and we never hear about it unless it's a friend or neighbor, but Tiger is considered a role model.  He's looked up to by millions and we expect him to lead by example.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I just think the reality is people assume he should have higher standards, so that's what he meant when he said we expect more from him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

About 15 years ago, in prep for some major surgery, I was given a prescription for Coumadin (a blood thinner) to see test my reaction to it.  About 2 hours after I took the first dose I literally almost blacked out while driving - dizzy, narrowed vision, and my blood pressure dropped dramatically.  A reaction to other medication I was taking, as well as the underlying issue requiring surgery. No narcotics, alcohol, etc. I barely made it to the side of the road, and in fact scraped the right side of my car along the guard rail as I tried to get out of traffic. 

While in retrospect I realized I should have heeded the advice on the prescription bottle not to "drive or operate heavy machinery" until I better understood how I would react, I was able to easily rationalize my actions because a lot of prescription drugs have this warning for liability reasons. The highway patrol found me in a dazed state, and I was transported to the hospital.  No DUI/DWI, though I suppose at the end of the day an argument could be made that I was "under the influence" of drugs.

Let's slow our rush to judgment until we understand the facts. The posts at the beginning of this thread are a sad commentary of how people feel a need assume they know what happened and rush to pass judgment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 70sSanO said:

Actually I feel sorry for your wife. When someone chooses to go against their natural DNA driven instincts it is probably only a matter of time.  Marriage can get tough at times without having that hang over it.

John

Thats exactly what you are doing when you get married. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

19 minutes ago, 1badbadger said:

I think what he meant David is "we don't expect this type of behavior" from him.  I agree that this happens all the time to thousands of people and we never hear about it unless it's a friend or neighbor, but Tiger is considered a role model.  He's looked up to by millions and we expect him to lead by example.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I just think the reality is people assume he should have higher standards, so that's what he meant when he said we expect more from him.

I understand, but disagree.  I'm no more upset at what Tiger does in a situation like this than I would be in anyone else.  I have exactly the same expectations of him, as I do of any other person. Maybe I'm an exception.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Considering what we know now, I'm thinking the police officer who arrested him could have been a bit more compassionate about the situation after he knew Tiger was not drinking, and probably knowing this was caused by medication for surgery, maybe an arrest was not the right thing to do here, just my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, MrDC said:

Considering what we know now, I'm thinking the police officer who arrested him could have been a bit more compassionate about the situation after he knew Tiger was not drinking, and probably knowing this was caused by medication for surgery, maybe an arrest was not the right thing to do here, just my opinion.

There is no discretion nowadays. Body cams, car cams, everything has to be reported correctly, which is why I put no stock in the "damage and flat tires" report, because it wasn't in the police report. Arrest was the correct decision. 

Edited by Apoc81

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 minutes ago, Apoc81 said:

Thats exactly what you are doing when you get married. 

No, that is what "you" are doing when "you" got married.  Don't lump me into your rationalization.

My DNA has been quite content for 36 years.

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Im not shy about saying  cant stand Tiger mainly because of his behavior and the media up his butt drooling over every shot. However , I didnt wanna judge him unless they said something different than what Tiger said. Told my buddy I hope he told truth about not drinking cause it will come out. Im starting to think he was right about not trusting anyone because the golf channel and the other media were saying this guy needs help and all that basically calling him a liar bout alcohol being involved. On golf channel youd think he had hit rock bottom and was suicidal. They sure do look stupid now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, 70sSanO said:

No, that is what "you" are doing when "you" got married.  Don't lump me into your rationalization.

My DNA has been quite content for 36 years.

John

Yep, i'm positive you have never lusted after another woman in 36 years. 

 

I'd only believe that of straight women and gay men. Attraction to the opposite sex (or same if that's your thing) does not begin and end with marriage. It's perfectly easy to be happy and still recognize the feelings another human can bring up in you. 

2 minutes ago, Aflighter said:

Im not shy about saying  cant stand Tiger mainly because of his behavior and the media up his butt drooling over every shot. However , I didnt wanna judge him unless they said something different than what Tiger said. Told my buddy I hope he told truth about not drinking cause it will come out. Im starting to think he was right about not trusting anyone because the golf channel and the other media were saying this guy needs help and all that basically calling him a liar bout alcohol being involved. On golf channel youd think he had hit rock bottom and was suicidal. They sure do look stupid now.

How could anyone dispute there was zero alcohol? its in the police report. He blew 0.000 Completely sober. Golf channel.. FFS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, todgot said:

It's all part of the new mob mentality of the internet.  I'm not a Tiger Fan and boycotted Nike for almost 2 years because of his actions... but I think there needs to be more information before anyone can judge anything.  I'm waiting for the toxicology screen to see what was actually in his system.  Then I will get out the torches and pitch forks... but not until then.  I have principles. 

I see Nike was devastated by your dedication to your boycott....at least until those new Air Jordan's came out and you had to have them.

52 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I understand, but disagree.  I'm no more upset at what Tiger does in a situation like this than I would be in anyone else.  I have exactly the same expectations of him, as I do of any other person. Maybe I'm an exception.

Why does anyone have to live up to your expectations or anyone else's for that matter? Maybe I had expectations for him to get rich, get married to a hot wife and have women on the side....if so he exceeded mine....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Woods talked after his latest surgery about how much pain relief he got from it, yet he's still taking Vicodin. I've had three back surgeries, and from that point of view, something doesn't add up. I just hope the Vicodin hasn't taken hold of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It might have been possible for the cops not to have arrested Tiger had it not been for the damage to the car.  No way they give him a pass not knowing what he hit and if it was caught on some cam somewhere.

I'm not a fan, but had he pulled off the road, when he first started having the reaction, and called for someone, like Apoc81 did, I would have applauded him for taking such action.  That is being responsible.  Things happen.  But once he drove enough to cause damage, or potentially could have injured someone, it was too late.

He is a professional athlete who has had a lot of surgical procedures and has been on meds before.  He had to have realized early on that things weren't right and should have stopped driving right away.

John

Edited by 70sSanO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

"Is Phil the most famous golfer in the world?"...next to 7 articles about Tiger Woods.

Ha ha.

15 hours ago, Pendragon said:

Not since Arnie left us.

Arnie wasn't all he was cracked up to be. He's fortunate (more so than Jack) that he lived in the era he lived in…

1 hour ago, Eric C said:

About 15 years ago, in prep for some major surgery, I was given a prescription for Coumadin (a blood thinner) to see test my reaction to it.  About 2 hours after I took the first dose I literally almost blacked out while driving - dizzy, narrowed vision, and my blood pressure dropped dramatically.  A reaction to other medication I was taking, as well as the underlying issue requiring surgery. No narcotics, alcohol, etc. I barely made it to the side of the road, and in fact scraped the right side of my car along the guard rail as I tried to get out of traffic. 

You were saying something about blood thinners, @Vinsk…? :-) (Mostly teasing you man…)

9 minutes ago, jamo said:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 917 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...