IGNORED

Blaming Strategy? Or Execution?

iacas
Note: This thread is 2362 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

READ THE FIRST POST - The poll is only tangential  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Jack Nicklaus caddies for an average 18 handicapper in one round and can only advise on course strategies… How many strokes does the golfer save?

• 1-2
    • 3-5
    • 6-8
    • 9+

15 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

My apologies if I didn't communicate my thoughts a little better. The green is almost always the best spot to be on. My intended point was more that the center of the green may not always be the best target.

While I agree with you that a putt from a similar distance is always preferable over a chip, a short chip trumps a long putt in some cases, and there's often the opportunity to putt from off the green.

My game and that of a single digit player or even a low teen player is different in that I have some weaknesses that those of you likely don't.

For example, my bunker play is worse than even most high cappers and my left to right dispersion is probably what you'd expect from someone who shoots in the high 90's - not exactly pin-point accurate on most days. 

On the other hand, I suspect my distance control may be a relative strength (I don't know if this is true). A shot hit well or even slightly off-center of the face will usually result in the distance I want.

So with that being my perceived reality, I don't worry as much about a bunker in front or trouble behind a green. But put a bunker on the front left side of a green, and my target shifts to the right and or back of the green. What I meant with my previous post is that while I'd prefer to be on the green in this scenario, a miss slightly right of or behind the green is a miss I can live with.

I think I see what you're saying now, just avoid hazards around the green, even if it means potentially being off the green.  As long as you know your shot zone that makes sense to do as a bunker or water is more penal than rough/fringe would be for sure.

• Upvote 1

Woods: Ping G15 10.5* Draw Driver;   Ping G Series 14.5* 3 Wood;  Callaway 2019 Apex 19* 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno MP-33 4-PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 1.0 52* SS, Glide Stealth 2.0 56* ES, Hogan 60* SW

Edel E-1 Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 months later...
Note: This thread is 2362 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!