Sign in to follow this  
fotoguy1958

distances for senior golfers

Note: This thread is 858 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

17 posts / 1602 viewsLast Reply

I recently turned 59, and am getting back in the game after a few years off...

I know I don't hit as far as i used to, but what distances with various clubs can I expect?  

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I'm 59, you can see my averages on the GameGolf link of my signatures.  Mine are probably fairly average, many our age hit a lot further.

I hit my driver with about 220 carry when I catch it well, that will roll out to about 240-250 depending on conditions.

My 7iron is about 150 carry when I catch it well.

Edited by No Mulligans

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

43 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

I'm 59, you can see my averages on the GameGolf link of my signatures.  Mine are probably fairly average, many our age hit a lot further.

I hit my driver with about 220 carry when I catch it well, that will roll out to about 240-250 depending on conditions.

I turn 59 this year.

Pretty similar.  230 driver carry, 185 4-hybrid, 155 7-iron, 120 PW.

None of which means anything to the OP.  I know guys that are older and hit it 2 clubs further, and those who are quite a bit younger and can't hit it out of their own shadow.

1 hour ago, fotoguy1958 said:

I know I don't hit as far as i used to, but what distances with various clubs can I expect?  

The distances you hit them. Seriously.

Your distances have nothing to do with the distances others hit it.

My suggestion is you go and hit some golf balls and you'll find out. I'm stating the obvious, but what am I missing here? You are playing golf and you are asking people who don't know you how far you hit it? :-)

The important thing is not how far you hit each club but that you KNOW how far you hit it. If you used to hit a 7 iron a certain distance but now need a 5 iron, that's fine. As long as you know this and don't start lamenting how far you hit it when you were younger.

Likewise, if your friend (or someone on a golf forum) hits a 7 iron 150 yards, that has no relevance to your play.

Edited by Shorty

30 minutes ago, David in FL said:

None of which means anything to the OP.  I know guys that are older and hit it 2 clubs further, and those who are quite a bit younger and can't hit it out of their own shadow.

21 minutes ago, Shorty said:

My suggestion is you go and hit some golf balls and you'll find out. I'm stating the obvious, but what am I missing here? You are playing golf and you are asking people who don't know you how far you hit it? :-)

+1. I'm 63, but my club distances may not resemble yours at all. Lots of people my age aren't as long as I am, but some are significantly longer. I cringe when people ask me 'what club was that?" after a good shot because a) it probably doesn't mean anything to another player and b) my irons are 20 years old and my 5-iron has the same loft as a modern 6 or 7-iron. I'd rather not even answer, it's meaningless...

Edited by Midpack

Perhaps I stated it poorly....I understand everyone hits differently, I was basically asking what others my age average distances are to compare mine to.  Sorry for the confusion....

25 minutes ago, fotoguy1958 said:

Perhaps I stated it poorly....I understand everyone hits differently, I was basically asking what others my age average distances are to compare mine to.  Sorry for the confusion....

I don't believe there is any confusion.  What is being echoed here is that even with people the same age the distances will vary drastically.    Technique and athleticism rule. 

What are your distances with each club?

There are distance charts available on the Internet that purport to give typical distances for various clubs when the golfer swings at a certain speed. So you have to know your swing speed or at least have an idea for them to make any sense.  

But one's own swing and ball contact  probably dictates how far the ball may go, regardless of swing speed, so that method also is unreliable. At best, you should use them as estimates.

Better to hit say, 10 balls (whatever you wish) with a club and then pace off or otherwise measure distance and dispersion for that club. Probably have to do it again on another day or after honing your game because human beings change. (I know because I returned to golf an old guy with a slow swing speed and went through the estimate vs. actual exercise.) -Marv

13 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

Read more  

It's like we're twins, but I was born two years later!:-P

17 hours ago, fotoguy1958 said:

Expect nothing, forget the last shot, find an instructor, work diligently.

There's no absolute way to say. I'm 64, and finally had to admit to myself that I have lost significant distance from just 2-3 years ago! My swing has slowed down significantly.

But, once I started pulling the proper clubs, I've started hitting my targets again. Oh! And playing the proper tees. That has made golf a whole lot of fun again!

I would spend the $50.00 at your club or a club with a pro you can understand for an hour, who will watch your swing with your clubs and go forward with a plan for you to maximize your club/swing in the present.  The more aggressive of them might begin a chat about equipment (especially if you are still into hickory) but otherwise, the smart money is always on your ability to swing.  Or buying into Titelist PRO v which is now , after 20 years each one advancing the ball 15yds, a distance worthy of note . lol 

I started playing again a couple of years ago.  This time around I was playing with a bum shoulder.  What I did was get an inexpensive range finder so I can see how far I hit in a real situation and not just on the range.

And as Buckeyebowman said above, the game is a lot more fun when you play from the right tees.

John

I would echo what @Shorty said. Apples and Oranges. looking  back is futile, but never-the-less what most people experience. It is a tendancy that many succumb to and difficult to accept the inevitability of aging. Granted, physical activity, training, exercising under competent guidance could help regain some of of one's former ability, but eventually, this too will prove futile. I am nearly 75 and probably have lost 40 yards in the past year alone. My drives at one time were probably approaching 250, now rarely past 200 carry.

It has been stated that most people over estimate how far they "actually" hit their drives. It is hard to accept reality, and therefore they overstate, either consciously or subconsciously. Not intentional deceit mind you, just unwilling to be honest with themselves.

Only recently have I been attempting to accept the facts of life and more often move up to the forward tees, its hard to do when paired up with others, but if the truth be known, those "others" probably would fare better joining you, than visa-versa. That being said, your scores do not necessarily have to suffer, work on known strengths rather than attempting to achieve unrealistic goals. As said, know what your distances are, and use that knowledge. Whatever....nothing new in any of this, but does not hurt to be reminded from time to time.

I'm 66, in fairly good shape, and don't have any serious structural problems other than an arthritic right hip. (I have tight hip and loose hip days - on tight hip days, I need to take an extra club on approach shots as I'm not moving through the ball very well).

Approx. distance for clubs:

• Driver 210-240 total distance.
  • 3W: 205-220
  • 5W: 190-200
  • 4H: 180
  • 5i: 160 (irons X20 Tours from 2008; 5i loft = 27°; newer 5 irons a club stronger).
  • 7i: 140 
  • 9i: 120
  • PW: 95 (?)

I'm tweaking my fairway woods: I get good launch, and want to test out reversing the head weights, see if I can pick up a few yards by putting heavies up front and lowering flight. But, it could backfire. Also, 3W shaft is 43.5" long, and might work better with a trim.

Or, I might try cranking the 5W down to 17*, reverse the weights, and play a single "4W" for fairway wood. (Add in a 3H).

One problem is a distance gap between 9i and PW. I went down to three wedges 48, 54 and 60, but I've got an iron-wedge gap now. I've been working on choking down on 9i to shave a few yards. Wedges have really good flight, just not as hot as old ones.

I think distance on my long clubs will become more consistent as my conditioning improves. I had worked out all winter and had excellent driver week in March at Myrtle. But, not much golf or workouts since then, I just feel wobbly during swing as round advances. Need more gym!

Glad that you can see that lowering your flight might backfire.

I used to use an old Orlimar Tri-Metal 3 wood. The height of the face might have pushed just over an inch! It felt great, swung beautifully, and I could tag it dead center. But it never flew higher than the gutters on a one story house! I regularly wound up short of the target.

I realized I needed a different 3W to help me get some air under the ball. A buddy was looking to sell a TM RBZ and I tried it out. It didn't work for him, but it does for me!

On 5/29/2017 at 6:56 PM, Shorty said:

The important thing is not how far you hit each club but that you KNOW how far you hit it. If you used to hit a 7 iron a certain distance but now need a 5 iron, that's fine. As long as you know this and don't start lamenting how far you hit it when you were younger.

Likewise, if your friend (or someone on a golf forum) hits a 7 iron 150 yards, that has no relevance to your play.

......great advice!!!!!..........

Note: This thread is 858 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!