IGNORED

My Swing (Antneye)

Antneye
Note: This thread is 1008 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
On 7/22/2018 at 9:25 AM, Antneye said:

On axis tilt, can you clarify what you mean?  I am assuming that you mean at set up I should have my torso slightly tilted away from the target line?

Axis tilt = tilt away (or toward, I guess) the target. The tilt of your axis (your torso centerline).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)

I am extremely frustrated with how backwards my results have gone, but before I get into the new swing I am posting a reference for where I started out and I think we can see clear progress.  I need to look at the progress just to keep myself sane and know that I am making improvements.

For the most recent swings I need to point out that I had not yet started working on the Axis tilt that @iacas mentioned because I had not yet seen his post.  I will definitely be working on that and also re-reading the driver thread.  Here are the things I see.  Advice, as always, is welcome.

Head:  For the life of me I cannot stop the head moving forward and down towards the top of my backswing.  I do repeated wall drills but it never translates to having a club in my hand.

My left knee:  I know I need to have my right leg straighten and the left leg start to flex, but I think I am overdoing the left leg and it is a major culprit in my head going down.  Thoughts?  I just saw Iacas answered another Q of mine asking for a drill on this with the suggestion of putting a stick against it....I assume we mean a stick pressed up against my forehead?  Sorry, not visualizing this.

OTT: I still see a hint of over the top, but I think it is vastly improved.

Hands:  I use to be leading with my arms in a major way and getting them out in front of everything.  It seems improved.

Anyone have any thoughts?  Why am I so inconsistent still?  How do I fix that damn head?!?!

Original

Now:

Edited by Antneye
typo

You've made progress in my opinion. You are swinging less OTT. It can still be better though.

I practice by slowing down everything. Go to the top, A4, then swing slowly to A5A6, A7, A8. It is called mapping. I try to feel my body in the correct positions at those points and I film this practice to see if I am doing it right.  Then I do 50% swings. It is hard to make changes at full speed.

It takes a lot of time to undo bad habits, so be patient. Film the practice and post it here, not just the swing. Many of us have gone through the same issue.

antneyeA6.jpg

Face on at A4.

Analyzr Image Export.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

@boogielicious thanks. Your pic of my FV at the top captures exactly what I'm asking about in relation to my left knee. I know it needs to add flex in the backswing, but is it breaking down too much? I feel this is why my head is moving so much towards the ball. 

10 hours ago, Antneye said:

@boogielicious thanks. Your pic of my FV at the top captures exactly what I'm asking about in relation to my left knee. I know it needs to add flex in the backswing, but is it breaking down too much? I feel this is why my head is moving so much towards the ball. 

I’m not an instructor, but I don’t think the left knee bend is that crucial as long as you don’t sway back and it doesn’t cause you to tilt toward the target. The yellow lines are where your hips were at setup. They haven’t moved back. 

The axis tilt Erik refers to is your back. It’s is up right at A4. It is better to have it tilt away from target a bit. Almost like your butt would be an inch or two more towards the target but head and shoulders in the same place. This position then makes it easier for your down swing to come on plane. 

I practice in front of a mirror to work on this.  Check out The Centered Hip Turn thread to see more details. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I'm very familiar with that thread, but I'll go back and reread it. I do a lot of mirror work already and it looks good in the bathroom while I'm waiting for the water to get hot, but put a club in my hand on the course and my head just starts going down and forward at the top of my backswing. 

I'm convinced that is the reason for the wild variation in my driver. Every other club is passable for me to become a consistent 80's golfer. Even if I put the driver in the bag I have the same issues off the tee with any club regardless of how good I can hit it off the deck. 

(edited)

@Bob Mac pretty much all of the above. I mix it up between hozel hits, toe hits, and dead on the sweet spot. Results are either pushes, slices, pulls, snap hooks or dead on down the middle.

I think the inconsistency in the head movement is the main culprit. 

Edited by Antneye
Typo

30 minutes ago, Antneye said:

@Bob Mac pretty much all of the above. I mix it up between hozel hits, toe hits, and dead on the sweet spot. Results are either pushes, slices, pulls, snap hooks or dead on down the middle.

I think the inconsistency in the head movement is the main culprit. 

There may be a different way of approaching your issues.
Rather than focusing on keeping your head still, see if it's easier to maintain the angles you set at address.
If you compare your address position and impact position below, I think it's clear to see you've jumped up out of your set up angles.
Untitledsfhrt.thumb.jpg.b1916bb5ad7ea577e8ba1dc22163ac50.jpg

Try and focus on keeping those angles through the swing, especially the pelvis/back angle. That should in turn keep the head more stable and improve your consistency. 
Hope this helps
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the help guys. I'm sitting on 11 with a three group backup on a par three but just played my best nine in a while. Bogey golf is my goal for now and I shot 47on the front (which is the tougher of the two nines). 

No idea what the back will be like, but my ball striking is the best it's been in months and I am keeping the driver in play so far. I'm very focused on my steady head. Working in the axis Tilt and its been working well. Only gripe was two skied balls.... Might have to lower my tees a bit. Only one pull and one very unlucky bounce on a drive that was slightly pushed up the right side but should have had a better result. 

Ended up going 47-46. Would have accomplished the no 7's challenge for the first time ever if not for a blocked drive on the par 5 18th. I needed to chip in from about 50 feet to save bogey and ended up lipping out but made a 7 footer coming back to save double. The greens on this course are very difficult. If not for the greens I would have got into the 80's. Best consistent contact I've made in ages! 

(edited)

One other thing of note related to my swing.  When I was looking at my recent videos I noticed that my right instep was slightly lifting off the ground at the top of my back-swing.  My amateur diagnosis was that I was getting my weight on to the back side of my right foot rather than loading it on the instep of the right foot.  I stayed very conscious of this and tried to feel that weight on the instep and then push off that instep on my downswing.  The result, I think, was that I was able to get my hips moving towards the target rather than simply rotating and spinning out which typically leads to big pulls for me.  I felt that my swing was much more in to out and I was hitting very nice draws or balls that started a tick right and tended to come back a bit rather than slicing out to the right.  On the day I hit only a couple that were wide right and both of them were blocks where I just never got my hands to the ball.  

This was my most enjoyable round of golf in months and I feel like I am back on track.  Who knows what my next round will bring, but I feel so much more confident right now.  I can't thank everyone enough for the help that I have received through this thread.   

Edited by Antneye

I got out and played yesterday and my son filmed one of my drives.  The angles are not perfect, but I figured I'd throw this up.  My contact with the Driver has been much better over my last few rounds and practice sessions.  I still have a little OTT, but ever since throwing in some axis tilt the ball is flying off of my club.  My primary swing thought has been feeling the load on my right instep, driving off of it to start the swing and trying to leave my arms behind when I start the downswing.  I think this has been helping since I tend to just rotate and get my arms way out in front and cutting back across the ball.   For some reason I stopped my follow through on this swing, but I don't tend to do that so I am just ignoring it (I don't need any more things going through me head 🙂 ).

I scored horribly but I just had an off day around the greens.  Tons of lost strokes on chips and putts.  All in all I am feeling better than I have in a while off the tees.  Irons have been much improved as well.  Also, my head is still dipping, but much improved I think.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like I am finally starting to make some progress.  My driver is getting better (but still erratic) and I am feeling nice about my iron play.  Short game has gone to shit of late, but I'm not too worried about it as the long game has been what has been holding me back.  I don't see much change in these clips other than you can see the axis tilt on my drive FV.  It seems to have helped me make more consistent contact.  My DTL view was a bad slice right so I decided to post that one to see what you all may see.  It is still something that creeps into my swing.

Bonus Footage of my 16 year old who is always out there working with me.  His swing has come along nicely, although he is starting to fight his driver for some reason.  

I have really been trying to focus my work on getting my head to stop darting forward and down on the downswing.  It was highlighted by @iacas in my very first swing a year ago and it has always been a focus but I am really trying to address it and only it right now.  Here is a quick 7i from yesterdays session.  I think it is much improved but still needs work,  thoughts?

It would help to get better and more consistent camera angles. 

DTL should be down the toe line, about waist high 

FO should be perpendicular to your target line and waist high. 

I recommend buying a tripod. They usually come with cellphone attachments hardware. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

27 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

It would help to get better and more consistent camera angles. 

DTL should be down the toe line, about waist high 

FO should be perpendicular to your target line and waist high. 

I recommend buying a tripod. They usually come with cellphone attachments hardware. 

Yeah, I know.  I keep trying to get my son to line up better but he is 16 and, well if you have kids you get it :).  

Just looked up tripods.  Don't know why I thought they would be expensive. There seem to be fairly cheap options out there.

On 9/6/2018 at 10:56 PM, Antneye said:

Yeah, I know.  I keep trying to get my son to line up better but he is 16 and, well if you have kids you get it :).  

Just looked up tripods.  Don't know why I thought they would be expensive. There seem to be fairly cheap options out there.

Not a sales pitch here, but I bought this one a month or so ago and it's amazing.  Good material, sturdy, and comes with a carrying case.  For like $2 I also bought a hook that connects a phone to it.

https://amzn.to/2N10DL2

• Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 1008 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!