IGNORED

My Swing (Antneye)

Antneye
Note: This thread is 1008 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Grizvok said:

Yep. I was suffering from this not too long ago. It seems like this is often coupled with an overly bent right arm very early on in the backswing.

rors.thumb.png.5585d9e39a029da11e9fc73fb06be78e.png

@Antneye compare Rory’s club head to where I drew yours (slightly outside of the hands like Rors has here is more than fine). And the much more turned torso plus the angle of the right arm. I think the right arm is very telling; I know it was for me. After I realized this I began to feel just how much I was using the right bicep to almost “curl” the club into position super early on.

Edit: backswing, backswing, backswing, backswing. The old “impact is all that matters” mantra is pure BS. Get this backswing into a solid position (heck even the first few feet of the backswing) and you’ll see results.

Yes, this is all very helpful. I won’t bore you with more video yet. I want to get to a point where I feel like I am getting it better and then check back in. I’ve been combining day 1 Covid with slow backswings to the top and then an 80% swing and checking my progress on video today. I’m going to stick with that for a few days and then check back. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have been hard at work on the takeaway and getting to a good position at the top. I think I have made progress so I am uploading a new video as well as attaching a side by side pic of me prior to my work and of one that I hope to hear is some progress.

i also have been working on trying to get my head to stop starting down toward the ball at the beginning of my transition which I think is the second cause of my OTT.  I’ve been focusing on balance and making sure I am moving towards the target while keeping my head behind the ball. When I do it with 50-60% swings I can pull it off but when I go full speed it is still there but I think it is improved.

Thoughts? Am I going in the right direction?

5FCB5BFD-3DEB-4BAA-9635-4D78F4351920.jpeg

4 hours ago, Antneye said:

I have been hard at work on the takeaway and getting to a good position at the top. I think I have made progress so I am uploading a new video as well as attaching a side by side pic of me prior to my work and of one that I hope to hear is some progress.

i also have been working on trying to get my head to stop starting down toward the ball at the beginning of my transition which I think is the second cause of my OTT.  I’ve been focusing on balance and making sure I am moving towards the target while keeping my head behind the ball. When I do it with 50-60% swings I can pull it off but when I go full speed it is still there but I think it is improved.

Thoughts? Am I going in the right direction?

5FCB5BFD-3DEB-4BAA-9635-4D78F4351920.jpeg

Do it much slower. Keep working at it slowly. It will help in the long run.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

First of all, nice job with getting a bit more on plane going back. The club isn’t going nearly as much to the inside which is good. I’d take screenshots of where you are at A2 and keep tracking that so you can be sure you are starting back on plane. Overall, you are trending the right way here!

I don’t really think the head movement is anything to be focusing on. If anything, it is a symptom of the OTT move and not a cause.

The more important thing to notice about the transition is the shoulder move and what exactly it is accomplishing and then working back from that a little bit to find the root cause. What I see is a shoulder move in transition that is a compensation for your pretty flat shoulder turn. Look at how flat your shoulders are at the top of the backswing and then look at how much steeper they get right after you start the transition. The answer to this might very well be what @iacas was suggesting by nudging you towards working on your torso turn in the early backswing. That should help get your shoulder turn to be a bit steeper.

Before you start true downswing/transition thoughts or work: backswing, backswing, backswing.

Edited by Grizvok

Excellent feedback as always @Grizvok. I have a bad habit of trying to skip ahead before I have mastered something. 
I took my work out to the range today and hit every club in the bag with the best contact I have made in a LONG time. It felt great to see my swing back. I’m still struggling with low ball flight on my low irons and hybrid/wood but that’s a battle for another day. 

I’m posting a longer video today showing a condensed version of my daily practice. I have been doing slow swings working on my main piece and then full swings. For this video I only did two slow swings and then the remainder full just to give a sense of my daily practice while not making you watch it all. I do this for about 5 minutes 4 or 5 times a day. Primary focus is still getting to the top in a good position (@Grizvok feedback) and getting more torso turn at takeaway (@iacas feedback)  . To get there I’ve been working on my one piece takeaway and really feeling my right leg fully extend on the backswing. I’ve also been trying to make sure I don’t feel any bend in my left arm on the backswing. Today I started working in the feel of driving my left knee towards the target as the trigger for my downswing and it seem to have cleaned up the initial tilt down towards the ball. I am not perfect yet but I think it is cleaner than my last video. 

I had a great last range session even before I saw the improvement over my last two days of practice so I’m feeling pretty optimistic right now. 

• Thumbs Up 1

A huge part of getting to the top in a better position is going to be about the torso turn. I would do the COVID-19 Day 2 practice drills.

(edited)
14 minutes ago, Grizvok said:

A huge part of getting to the top in a better position is going to be about the torso turn. I would do the COVID-19 Day 2 practice drills.

Yes. That is part of my daily routine. I am not changing my focus.  

Here the FV that I messed up earlier. No change to my focus. 

Edited by Antneye
  • Like 1

I decided to mix it up and work on the “delivering the clubhead” drill from the COVID thread and boy was it ugly. I took a still of my most common finish position and it is below. I might have to post a video of the drill tomorrow just to make sure I’m doing it properly but boy does this not look like the same position @iacas shows at finish. I’m not sure why I’m struggling with this one. 

8CB851E4-57D1-4C64-AD43-3E1DB47D4873.png

• Thumbs Up 1

The observant among you will notice that the garage door opener is a brand new model.  I think I lost my argument with the Mrs. about getting new irons for at least a year now.  Damn that was a pricey bad swing.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I got out to play 9 after work yesterday (actually 11 because I had the course to myself and was able to double back and play 6 and 7 twice). I just went out to practice what I’ve been working on. No concern for score. Just wanted to take the work to the course.

Woof. Not pretty. It’s amazing how everything I think and feel while practicing seems to just disappear on the course. To be fair to myself, there was definitely improvement, but there is still a lot of work to do. My driver was much improved but I still had too many holes where that club took me out of the hole before it even started. The wedges were solid as always. Mid irons were very inconsistent ranging from thins to big pulls and one hozel rocket that waisted my best drive of the day. Long irons/hybrid were hopeless. 

I’m glad I got the round in because I was starting to feel like I could go from a 20 to a 10 just based on the work I’ve been doing but it is clear that I need a lot more work. I’m just going to stick to what I’ve been doing until it is totally ingrained and then move on to the next piece. I’ve spent 30 years developing my swing flaws. To think I’m going to correct them in a couple of weeks is madness and I’m not going to let that get me down. 

I should also mention that I had LSW in my head the whole time. Started thinking more about what my intent was with each shot. One great example was an approach shot on a long par 4 after a week drive. I was sitting about 220 out which is a stretch for my 3 wood. I can get it there but have to nut it. I normally would just pick a layup shot since I know I mostly can’t get there but since there was no real danger I just grabbed the 3 wood and tried to get as close as possible. I hit a push to the right but left myself an easy wedge for a shot at an up and down. Missed the putt, but still liked the new mental approach. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I’ve been struggling to get the delivering the clubhead drill (COVID) done properly and I ran across this drill on YouTube. It seems similar but just executed differently. I’m always suspect of instructors I’m not familiar with so I figured I’d post it here to see if anyone has feedback on what he is preaching.  Does this seem worth working into my practice?

ive tried it and make good contact with it but it seems to exaggerate my OTT so I’m a little worried about that, but I’m also assuming I should be able to do this without that happening. 

If posting non 5sk content is a no no I’ll delete this  

13 hours ago, Antneye said:

I’ve been struggling to get the delivering the clubhead drill (COVID) done properly and I ran across this drill on YouTube. It seems similar but just executed differently. I’m always suspect of instructors I’m not familiar with so I figured I’d post it here to see if anyone has feedback on what he is preaching.  Does this seem worth working into my practice?

ive tried it and make good contact with it but it seems to exaggerate my OTT so I’m a little worried about that, but I’m also assuming I should be able to do this without that happening. 

If posting non 5sk content is a no no I’ll delete this  

It’s not a no-no. But try and stay focused on what you are working on. Don’t let video tips distract you. We are desperate at times to improve and videos like this are shiny new toys.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

It’s not a no-no. But try and stay focused on what you are working on. Don’t let video tips distract you. We are desperate at times to improve and videos like this are shiny new toys.

I agree and will do that. My main piece hasn't changed at all but I've been practicing more than ever so I'm working in a few extra drills. I'm going to stay with the covid one. This one that I posted, I don't know, something seems wrong about it. 

21 hours ago, Antneye said:

I agree and will do that. My main piece hasn't changed at all but I've been practicing more than ever so I'm working in a few extra drills. I'm going to stay with the covid one. This one that I posted, I don't know, something seems wrong about it. 

Try stopping where the shaft is parallel to the ground after contact, A8-9, in the drill. I try and feel my belt buckle is high and pointing at target. This rotates the hips more. I also try and not have my hands turn over at this point. This is the video my Evolvr instructor gave me and is very similar to the Day 5 Drill.

Scott

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Try stopping where the shaft is parallel to the ground after contact, A8-9, in the drill. I try and feel my belt buckle is high and pointing at target. This rotates the hips more. I also try and not have my hands turn over at this point. This is the video my Evolvr instructor gave me and is very similar to the Day 5 Drill.

I think that's the biggest issue with the drill results for me. It seems my hands are rolling over quite a bit. I need to work on that

I've been doing the 5 minute daily practice challenge and have mainly been focusing on my priority pieces. I usually do some slow swings with a foam ball, then I do some full swings, and a little of the covid delivering the club head. I always record each session. Working from home these days I get in a bunch of 5-6 minute sets. 

Today was so frustrating. I broke pattern and just started taking full swings with my 7 iron and I could not even hit the ball. It was so ugly. When I reviewed the video I was right back to taking the club too far inside and coming way OTT. The good news is that the frustration only lasted as long as it took me to view the recording. It was so obvious what I was doing. 

I took a break and when I came back for another set I just did very slow takeaways and easy swings and it was much cleaner. I'll get a few more in today but it's a good reminder how easy it is to revert to bad habits. 

Note: This thread is 1008 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!