IGNORED

2017 U.S. Open Discussion Topic

Utah_Golf
Note: This thread is 2488 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Just now, Shindig said:

One of the greens has a special Palmer flag -- it's a flag but the icon is the silhouette of Arnold Palmer.  Fox showed the crew measuring a few things on the green to decide where to place the cup (and therefore the pin).  I don't know if that was normal for cutting a hole in a green or not as I've never participated in that.

Ah, thanks.

Yes, they do all that stuff before they put any hole in. They want to make sure that the area around the hole is not too severely sloped, and then they have to measure exactly where the hole is so the pin sheets are accurate.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

DId anyone else hear Darren Clarke say "F****** hard" when Cink made his birdie putt and they showed his card with the DB-B?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

DId anyone else hear Darren Clarke say "F****** hard" when Cink made his birdie putt and they showed his card with the DB-B?

What timestamp? I've got it recorded.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It was just after he made his birdie on #8

12:43

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

"Can't birdie them all if you don't birdie the first" -- nice.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

It was just after he made his birdie on #8

Well, I didn't hear it, and since he's through 13 now… it's a bit far back for me to want to rewind just to hear someone possibly swear. :-) If you had a time stamp, I could look for it.

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Well, I didn't hear it, and since he's through 13 now… it's a bit far back for me to want to rewind just to hear someone possibly swear. :-) If you had a time stamp, I could look for it.

I'm not recording but my time line as I rewind live showed 12:43....just prior to the Brownie Point segment with the basketball. Pretty damn sure he said "F****** hard"

Fleetwood just said his goal all week has been hitting to the middle of the green.  Nice.  No wonder he's in contention.  10:46 pacific if anyone wants to rewind and see. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I'm not recording but my time line as I rewind live showed 12:43....just prior to the Brownie Point segment with the basketball. Pretty damn sure he said "F****** hard"

He said "fighting hard."

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

He said "fighting hard."

Yep. Sounds clear on my phone ...my tv, it sure sounded otherwise. Ok...that's solved.

• Administrator

Something about the ease of use of the internet nowadays, I can just read this thread and don't even have to watch the tournament.

So having heard the new theme some more, it's growing on me, but still not as majestic as NBC's theme. It starts out very militaristic, almost jingoist, then segues into this Aaron Copland shimmering inspirational wheat fields American West imagery, then into this Hans Zimmer Man of Steel like transition. It has more musical ideas than the NBC theme though. Fox should let it play out in full in one of its video essays, let it air out.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Woodland nearly holes out for an eagle.  What a shot!

Geico lizard just made a probably-fake hole in one on a par-5.

-- Michael | My swing! 

36 minutes ago, weekend hacker1 said:

If it is going to be windy Fleetwood in with a real chance.

I actually think Fleetwood going under the radar a lot today. The guy is going to feel right at home with these conditions. He's not in the last group so the pressure is off of him. And he's been on the leaderboard a lot this year in tournaments so he has experience in Sunday pressure....although today's probably ramped up a bit than your normal BMW Open. 

Of course, if Justin Thomas or Rickie Fowler win, I'll be very happy as I put some Vegas $$$ on both of them pre-tourney (along with Jason Day who dudded on me). So I'm pulling for either one of those two to win.

49 minutes ago, iacas said:

I've noticed a few times in the past few rounds, a player hits his second shot...it winds up in a bunker or a really stupid hard lie.  They cut away to someone else, then back to the 1st player and they are lining up their putt.  I know things aren't always live, but if they make a big deal about the hard shot that is upcoming at least show a quick clip of it...don't skip it.

That and on Friday and Saturday, anyone that made a good putt, one of the TV folks would say "No one is putting better than <player><player/> this week".  Small thing, but irritating.

And do we really need to see so many practice swings on the driving range while other golfers are playing an actual round?  This happens on other networks as well.

Edited by 26point2

Yeah, I thought I heard fake bird noises too.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, 26point2 said:

I've noticed a few times in the past few rounds, a player hits his second shot...it winds up in a bunker or a really stupid hard lie.  They cut away to someone else, then back to the 1st player and they are lining up their putt.  I know things aren't always live, but if they make a big deal about the hard shot that is upcoming at least show a quick clip of it...don't skip it.

That and on Friday and Saturday, anyone that made a good putt, one of the TV folks would say "No one is putting better than <player><player/> this week".  Small thing, but irritating.

And do we really need to see so many practice swings on the driving range while other golfers are playing an actual round?  This happens on other networks as well.

Tweet that stuff at him. I think he's writing a story. Maybe he'll quote you.

Note: This thread is 2488 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!