IGNORED

2017 U.S. Open Discussion Topic

Utah_Golf
Note: This thread is 2492 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

10 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

I think you've got that backwards...

Yes I do.  Math is hard.

• Upvote 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

47 minutes ago, JetFan1983 said:

Institutionalized! Congrats, Brooks! :-D

Brooks was here... :-) 

• Upvote 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Brooks kinda reminds me of Mark Wahlberg a bit... maybe he should play him in the Brooks Koepka biopic. And hey, there was even a burning blimp that crashed on Thursday... perfect disaster situation for Wahlberg that they can take some creative liberties with. 

Coming in 2019...

BiOVG1497832159.jpg

I'll see myself out....

• Upvote 3

Constantine

He's like a well spoken Dustin Johnson.

Just now, JetFan1983 said:

Brooks kinda reminds me of Mark Wahlberg a bit... maybe he should play him in the Brooks Koepka biopic. And hey, there was even a burning blimp that crashed on Thursday... perfect disaster situation for Wahlberg that they can take some creative liberties with. 

Coming in 2019...

BiOVG1497832159.jpg

I'll see myself out....

No Markey Mark...No.

Will be interesting to see down the road if Erin Hills is a one-and-done. It's a course very dependent on wind and fast greens, and if you don't get that, you get what you got. Shinnecock could be the same way next year. If you get no wind and soft conditions, players may take it apart. Luckily for Shinnecock, they've gotten the firm, fast conditions the last few Opens (last Open a little too fast). Shinnecock is also a bit more narrow.

I honestly don't think Mike Davis cares as much about the scoring as much as people thinks he does, but  this was a little bit too easy and I'd be willing to bet that there's some people inside the USGA a bit frustrated. But will be interesting to see. I personally would like to see Chambers Bay get another crack at it. 

Edited by ChrisP

6 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Will be interesting to see down the road if Erin Hills is a one-and-done. It's a course very dependent on wind and fast greens, and if you don't get that, you get what you got. Shinnecock could be the same way next year. If you get no wind and soft conditions, players may take it apart. Luckily for Shinnecock, they've gotten the firm, fast conditions the last few Opens (last Open a little too fast).

I honestly don't think Mike Davis cares as much about the scoring as much as people thinks he is, but  this was a little bit too easy and I'd be willing to bet that there's some people inside the USGA a bit frustrated. But will be interesting to see. I personally would like to see Chambers Bay get another crack at it. 

I think they eased up on it a bit, just to make sure no one complained.  They can easily toughen it up a bit.  I think it stays in the rotation.  It also brings Whistling Straits or maybe Black Wolf Run into the  equation.

Well done Wisconsin!  :dance:

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

10 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I think they eased up on it a bit, just to make sure no one complained.  They can easily toughen it up a bit.  I think it stays in the rotation.  It also brings Whistling Straits or maybe Black Wolf Run into the  equation.

Well done Wisconsin!  :dance:

Yeah I think the fairways were maybe set up just a bit too wide.  As I mentioned before the tournament I did not think the long stuff was going to be much of an issue.   Hopefully they make it tougher next time, if there is one.  A beautiful course with some brilliant holes for sure.

• Upvote 1

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Well, for those who like a tough test, Birkdale is a month away. No one has broken par there the last two Opens held at that venue. Of course, weather has played a huge role in that. The last Open at Birkdale was the worst weather I've ever seen in a major championship still to this day. 

Edited by ChrisP

1 hour ago, ChrisP said:

NBC or CBS needs to hire Ken Brown. He needs to be doin for more than just one PGA event a year

He was on bbc for years, but they only really had open plus masters. Way better than all the other pundits, here and in the states. Quirky without trying to be funny and knows what he is talking about.

Brooks was great but the whole tourney was very underwhelming. Hardly any noise from the crowds, not much excitement on the course and the presentation was so low key it was embarrassing. Nobody seemed that bothered about it.

More proof that GIR are "king", Brooks Koepka led the field in GIR and won the U.S. Open. I think he only missed one green on the back nine. That looked like the most pedestrian 67 I've seen in my life.

• Upvote 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

14 minutes ago, weekend hacker1 said:

Brooks was great but the whole tourney was very underwhelming. Hardly any noise from the crowds, not much excitement on the course and the presentation was so low key it was embarrassing. Nobody seemed that bothered about it.

Brooks is much like Dustin Johnson....he's a guy who does his thing and doesn't show much emotion. Personality is not his strong suit. The best part of the day was seeing his girlfriend at the end..nice job there, Brooks. But I thought the Open was okay. Yesterday was actually fun...today was non-dramatic, really. Obviously it was a bit too easy for a US Open, but weather had a lot to do with that. The other part, like David said, was the USGA being super overcautious. Just hope this is an exception year and they get back to making it a brutal test next year. Of course, like I said, Shinnecock is another course that is wide open and really needs the firm, fast, breezy conditions to make it a test. If they have the same weather next year in New York, you'll probably see more low scores. We'll see how much they narrow the fairways, too.

Edited by ChrisP

10 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

More proof that GIR are "king", Brooks Koepka led the field in GIR and won the U.S. Open.

This.

Off-topic, but perfect chance for me to advertise my GIR challenge in GameGolf for June. Still plenty of time to take your rightful seat on the throne...;-)

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

12 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Brooks is much like Dustin Johnson....he's a guy who does his thing and doesn't show much emotion. Personality is not his strong suit. The best part of the day was seeing his girlfriend at the end..nice job there, Brooks. But I thought the Open was okay. Yesterday was actually fun...today was non-dramatic, really. Obviously it was a bit too easy for a US Open, but weather had a lot to do with that. The other part, like David said, was the USGA being super overcautious. Just hope this is an exception year and they get back to making it a brutal test next year. Of course, like I said, Shinnecock is another course that is wide open and really needs the firm, fast, breezy conditions to make it a test. If they have the same weather next year in New York, you'll probably see more low scores. We'll see how much they narrow the fairways, too.

A little secret the wind will blow at Shinnecock, it's just a matter of how hard. 

Southhampton, is toward the eastern end of Long Island, not incredibly close to the ocean, but the maritime winds can be better for sailing than golf. 

Shinnecock Hills is immensely shorter than Erin Hills and is one of the few "natural" par-70 courses left. I think it's just slightly over 7,000 yards.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

What an absolutely dynamic round.....kudos to Brooks......what a great, great performance

BTW......listening to these post-round questions is/was just painful...who the fu*k is paying these people to ask these questions....

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Just now, BallStriker said:

What an absolutely dynamic round.....kudos to Brooks......what a great, great performance

BTW......listening to these post-round questions is/was just painful...who the fu*k is paying these people to ask these questions....

My daughter (who is 3 and a half) can do a better post round interview than Joe Buck or Shane Bacon...

Sarcastic thought: If I were to win the mid-am someday, I want Ken Brown to interview me. F@+$ Joe Buck. Friggin' Cardinals fan.

7 minutes ago, roamin said:

This.

Off-topic, but perfect chance for me to advertise my GIR challenge in GameGolf for June. Still plenty of time to take your rightful seat on the throne...;-)

I think BK automatically wins that, he has the hardware to prove it.

• Upvote 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Some of these comments make me wonder what it is that people want? Nobody can control the weather. Ever wonder how Johnny Miller shot that 63 back in '73? Because Oakmont was soaking wet, that's how! I think it rained every night of the tournament, and it was solid overcast every day!

I was there for Saturday and Sunday, and while it didn't rain during play I still came away with soaked feet! Waterproofing back then wasn't what it is now. 

The old style Open course of hack out rough around the greens reminds me of the old NBA. The old "shlob" it in to the center, everybody runs away from him, and he backs his guy down! Boring!

FWIW, the greens reminded me a lot of Augusta's greens, where if you couldn't hit a target about the size of a dining room table you had no chance at birdie. And when the ball runs away from the green they make them chip or pitch from tight lies. That's OK by me.

And, just as an aside, did anybody besides me notice how spectacular the skies were up there? I know Montana is called "Big Sky Country", but the sky looked plenty big up there! I don't know why, I just notice such things.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2492 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!