IGNORED

2017 U.S. Open Discussion Topic

Utah_Golf
Note: This thread is 2487 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just now, zipazoid said:

8 under at Oakmont is better than 9 under at Erin Hills. That's my take.

8 under is 8 under regardless of the course. It's not like the rest of the field was 10 over for the round.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

8 under is 8 under regardless of the course. It's not like the rest of the field was 10 over for the round.

So all courses are the same? No difference in degree of difficulty? Then why do we have course ratings & slope ratings? There was almost a 2-stroke difference betw field average in Miller's 63 & JT's. 

Edited by zipazoid
  • Upvote 1

Just now, zipazoid said:

So all courses are the same? No difference in degree of difficulty? Then why do we have course ratings & slope ratings?

Ask Day, McIlroy, DJ if Erin Hills was easy peasy. Johnny is a cranky old man who doesn't want his records broken.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Just now, boogielicious said:

Ask Day, McIlroy, DJ if Erin Hills was easy peasy. Johnny is a cranky old man who doesn't want his records broken.

His personality aside, which is irrelevant frankly, check the numbers. Check the field's scoring average. And I never said Erin Hills was easy peasy.  

1 minute ago, zipazoid said:

His personality aside, which is irrelevant frankly, check the numbers. Check the field's scoring average. And I never said Erin Hills was easy peasy.  

Any given course on any given day can be easier or harder depending on conditions. I didn't watch JM's round, so I don't have a reference as to whether he got favorable winds during his play versus the rest of the field. But I did watch this Open and plenty of the world's best had lots of trouble on Saturday. Even Hideki's -6 was incredible yesterday with the wind he faced.

So Johnny is basically trying to discredit JT's -9 with the old, "in my day, the courses had gravel and gators in the rough and we used hickory shafts and the balls weren't round  and today's players just have great equipment and aren't really that good. If I had the equipment of today, I would have shot -15 at Oakmont with a 40 mph wind in driving rain on one leg while wearing an eye patch. And...HEY! GET OFF MY LAWN!" 

:-P

The record is now -9. Sorry Johnny.

Scott

My Swing Thread

21 minutes ago, zipazoid said:

8 under at Oakmont is better than 9 under at Erin Hills. That's my take.

I don't even disagree with Miller. This was a joke of an open. It felt like every other tour event. There was no prestige like the masters, no ridiculously punishing courses like the Open (sorry folks, there's only one open) , if anything, it felt like a small tournament that none of the top stars show up to. In my opinion, I was underwhelmed. 

That said, I still have tremendous respect for what Koepka did. He hoisted a trophy I could only dream of. Good for him. 

17 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Yes, well, missing fairways by a mile will blow up your score. I'm evidence of that. ;-)

5 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Any given course on any given day can be easier or harder depending on conditions. I didn't watch JM's round, so I don't have a reference as to whether he got favorable winds during his play versus the rest of the field. But I did watch this Open and plenty of the world's best had lots of trouble on Saturday. Even Hideki's -6 was incredible yesterday with the wind he faced.

So Johnny is basically trying to discredit JT's -9 with the old, "in my day, the courses had gravel and gators in the rough and we used hickory shafts and the balls weren't round  and today's players just have great equipment and aren't really that good. If I had the equipment of today, I would have shot -15 at Oakmont with a 40 mph wind in driving rain on one leg while wearing an eye patch. And...HEY! GET OFF MY LAWN!" 

:-P

That is not what he said at all. But to that point, they were driving into much smaller fairways with clubs and balls most of us couldn't even duff a ball with nowadays. I think you should get on youtube and watch millers round. 

Edited by Apoc81
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, longdrive23 said:

(Im late to the thread)

Looks like long hitters are the only contenders for US open. 

Exactly. I was looking at some of the distances - 510 yards par 4?!? I mean I can reach that with two PERFECT shots (driver and 3 wood), but the odds of me making 2 perfect shots are near to none and these guys were hitting irons for their second shots...

Enjoyed this tournament - too bad the wind died down for the last few groupings, would have been fun to see them challenged harder down the stretch.

I was rooting for a Harmon, Koepka playoff - just for the visual of those two walking the course together - what was the height difference?  like 2 feet?

Bill - 

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I don't think it really matters that no one else took advantage of it that day at Oakmont.

I do. It speaks to how hard or easy the course was playing that day.

Johnny took advantage of what everybody knows was unusual conditions for Oakmont.

What was unusual about it that day?

Also, how many 600+yd holes did Johnny have to face? How many par 4's longer than 500yds? You could've given Johnny 100yd wide fairway and he wouldn't hit a par 5 676yds in 2.

And how many shots did JT have to hit with steel shafted clubs with persimmon heads hitting a balata golf ball with a liquid center?

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

So it wasn't any easy course when Miller shot a -8? Where's the logic in that Johnny?

It was a more difficult course than the one JT faced, by a couple of shots.

Any given course on any given day can be easier or harder depending on conditions. I didn't watch JM's round, so I don't have a reference as to whether he got favorable winds during his play versus the rest of the field.

Scott… c'mon man. He played in the seventh group from the end. He was in the middle, so "his winds" affected everyone on both sides of him almost exactly the same way.

Johnny's round was the more impressive round. By more than a little.

Let's take the 63 talk there. That was, after all, during Saturday's play.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

32 minutes ago, iacas said:

And how many shots did JT have to hit with steel shafted clubs with persimmon heads hitting a balata golf ball with a liquid center?

Well if you're gonna use that then his record will never be broken. If JT fired a -10 at Oakmont Johnny could just say 'Well, I had inferior equipment so my round is more impressive." 

I just think it would've a bit more classy had Johnny simply congratulated JT and let other people make the comparison. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Well if you're gonna use that then his record will never be broken. If JT fired a -10 at Oakmont Johnny could just say 'Well, I had inferior equipment so my round is more impressive."

No, that was just in direct response to your "how many 600 yard par fives" comment. (BTW, the 12th at Oakmont played 603). You can't compare eras by talking about things that changed in the era. You can reasonably compare eras by looking at what their peers did at the same time, to assess how difficult or easy the course was playing.

4 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I just think it would've a bit more classy had Johnny simply congratulated JT and let other people make the comparison.

You're likely biased against Johnny, though. He was asked to comment and did. I don't have a problem with people who speak their minds.

And again, let's switch the 63 comparison talk to the other topic.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

just think it would've a bit more classy had Johnny simply congratulated JT and let other people make the comparison. 

Missed the whole JM thing, what did he do or not do...?!

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, longdrive23 said:

Missed the whole JM thing, what did he do or not do...?!

He was asked to comment on JT's 63, and said as part of his response or a follow-up question or something that JT's round wasn't at Oakmont (tougher course) nor was it to win (on Sunday).

Both facts, but you can take them as diminishing JT's round, too.

• Upvote 1

Read about this during the tournament but didn't post as it might have dampened the mood. This is tragic, but not a bad way to go if you ask me.

http://golfweek.com/2017/06/19/fan-94-who-loved-golf-died-at-u-s-open-days-after-wife-of-68-years/

Ratings not good. TBH, I was pretty bored. Players are better than ever and course wasn't bad, can't put my finger on it, just didn't feel the USO aura this year.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

13 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Ratings not good. TBH, I was pretty bored. Players are better than ever and course wasn't bad, can't put my finger on it, just didn't feel the USO aura this year.

I definitely didn't feel anything special about it.  I think part of it was that I spent 6 hours in the car this weekend listening to PGA Tour radio on Sirius XM and all they really talked about was the course and whether it was a good "US Open" course.  When I watched, it felt like just another tournament.  I don't know if it was the course, or Fox's broadcast/presentation of it, or just a lot of upcoming-wedding drama that was distracting me.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Johnny's 63 was better because he won the tournament and it was in the Final round. JT blew his load on saturday and was done after his first tee shot on Sunday. Both of the rounds are awesome though.

Edited by MuniGrit
  • Upvote 1

Trollin' is the life

Note: This thread is 2487 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!