IGNORED

2017 U.S. Open Discussion Topic

Utah_Golf

Note: This thread is 1542 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

8 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

So I knew about K.T. Kim, Michael Kim and SiWoo Kim, but now there's Whee Kim? 

"That's what you say when you're having fun. You refer to yourself and some other people." --Mitch Hedberg

• Upvote 1

So far players really taking advantage of the par-5s. Three of the 4 seem to be reachable in two. Add in a couple short par-4s and you have 6 or 7 holes which are very gettable. You usually don't have that in a U.S. Open. Early on it definitely has a different feel than most Opens. No wonder only one guy was whining about it.

That being said, course looks fantastic. In perfect shape. 

• Administrator
On 6/13/2017 at 11:31 AM, ChrisP said:

Did you watch the US Open at Oakmont in 2007? Tell Phil Mickelson it wasn't tricked out. It didn't look tricked out last year at Oakmont because it rained so the greens weren't out of control, but if they got the conditions last year like they did in '07, you'd think otherwise. I remember watching Oakmont in 2007 and watching Mickelson tap the ball from 50 feet away and end up flying past the hole and into the rough. Guys at number 3 were hitting great shots into the middle of the green but the ball wouldn't stop and it kept on going down the hill over the green. It was fun to watch, but players were pretty miffed.

That's not tricked out. Not at all.

I've played Oakmont plenty of times… that's the way the course plays. #2 is a short hole (I think you meant #2, not #3 - that wasn't happening on #3) and there are places you can't hit the ball on the green with certain amounts of spin.

Come up short or have too much spin on the 9th at Augusta and guess what? It's coming back 30 yards off the front of the green.

I disagree that Oakmont was ever "tricked up" in my lifetime.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

That's not tricked out. Not at all.

I've played Oakmont plenty of times… that's the way the course plays. #2 is a short hole (I think you meant #2, not #3 - that wasn't happening on #3) and there are places you can't hit the ball on the green with certain amounts of spin.

Come up short or have too much spin on the 9th at Augusta and guess what? It's coming back 30 yards off the front of the green.

I disagree that Oakmont was ever "tricked up" in my lifetime.

It may have been 2. I just remember Mickelson and a few other guys complaining a lot in 2007 about the course. Players were frustrated with it, but I don't think the USGA tricked it out. Just players thought they did. The weather made Oakmont play to its most difficult potential. There was no rain, it was so dry, there was breeze and they had the traditional US Open rough....I think +5 was the winning score, in fact. It was brutal, but for those who love a traditional US Open, it was fun to watch players tested the way they were. 

• Upvote 1

course looks great.  Watching pro's miss there targets by 50yds with driver is always interesting.  And LSW says get it on the green lol...alot of guys leaving it short on chips and pitches.  Fowler really looks solid.

WTF Google, I type usopen and tennis comes up first? 

FAIL!

I also have to give Fox a C- for dodgy streaming, lack of streaming, USGA's leaderboard on website not drilling down to scorecard. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I also have to give Fox a C- for dodgy streaming, lack of streaming, USGA's leaderboard on website not drilling down to scorecard. 

I've had zero issues streaming or the leaderboard from the USGA website.  It's been solid all day for me.  I had to do actual work for an hour here or there but haven't had any issues connecting or streaming.

DJ needs to bring back the beard.

Baby John Rahm throwing fits LOL with his stupid frat boy face.

These guys don't carry it that far even with the driver sometimes...

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Baby John Rahm throwing fits LOL with his stupid frat boy face.

I don't mind and usually encourage displays of emotion, but he's taking it a bit too far.

Just a bit, and still, I'd rather see this 10x more than if he were robotic and emotionless. I'm saying "too far" just for his own benefit… I don't think displaying TOO much emotion is great. It's just round one.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, NCGolfer said:

I've had zero issues streaming or the leaderboard from the USGA website.  It's been solid all day for me.  I had to do actual work for an hour here or there but haven't had any issues connecting or streaming.

I've had no issues either, but seeing a bit of no sound, buffering, can't start complaints on social media. Also The Masters interface was better. 

Els, Westwood, Cabrera near the top of the leaderboard. What is it about these guys?

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/20170615/mickelson-withdraws-from-us-open

Seeing Rickie at -6 makes me feel old, I remember when someone getting to -10 for the tournament was noteworthy.

Also good to see Ernie working on a great round, and I wonder what Willett's brother will tweet {crickets}

Danny Willett has really gone the wrong way since winning his green jacket last year. Dead last place right now. Hopefully this is rock bottom for him and he can bounce back and not go to the graveyard of players whose careers collapsed after winning a major championship.

Note: This thread is 1542 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!