IGNORED

2017 U.S. Open Discussion Topic

Utah_Golf
Note:Β This thread is 2466 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I'm looking forward to the US Open. Β  It seems to always be exciting. Β  The article was interesting from a golfer that has played the course. Β  Thanks for sharing.

Welcome to TST. Β  I'm glad you found our little slice / hook of heaven. Β Make yourself at home, post an introduction, in the Β WelcomeΒ section. Β 

Β 

Edited by dennyjones
  • Upvote 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.Β Β  I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My third favourite tourny of the year. Open first, then Masters, the US Open.

Β 

Ifi could win any tourny I wanted, granted by some Genie, it'd be the British open.

And welcome!

Edited by Apoc81

• iacas changed the title to 2017 U.S. Open Discussion Topic

Does anybody know how the USGA is going to set the course in relation to par? Are they going to play it as it's natural 72 or shorten a couple Par 5s and play it as a 71 or 70? If so, which holes?

"Witty golf quote."

4 hours ago, Aguirre said:

Does anybody know how the USGA is going to set the course in relation to par? Are they going to play it as it's natural 72 or shorten a couple Par 5s and play it as a 71 or 70? If so, which holes?

Par 72... The only par 5 they were thinking of possibly converting was the 1st. Which normally plays as a 605-yard, par 5. Actually the 1st, 14th and 18th areΒ SHORTERΒ than their scorecard yardage. The 4 par 5s are 560, 607 (#7), 594, and 637. The par-3s are between 135 and 237, the par 4s are between 338 (#2) and 507. The real meat of the golf course is 3 thru 8. And the par 4s on the back other than 15. I've read Mike Davis may move the tee way up on 15 on the Saturday or Sunday. Same with 18. I heard a 570-ish tee could come in play on 18 to make it reachable in two.Β 

I've heard a playing length of 7600 yards, par 72. Only Merion in 2013, Oakmont in 1994 and both Opens at Shinnecock Hills had no converted par-5s from the natural everyday scorecard.

This next 5 year stretch of U.S. Opens, their will be 3 non par-70 U.S. Opens.

I read an early rumor on the 2020 Open at Winged Foot (3 years out), the 515-yard, 5th may opted by the USGA as a par-4. In order to keep the par at 70, they may opt to play the uphill 9th as the sole first nine par-5 (They have more room to lengthen the 9th a bit than they do to lengthen the 5th). But that's off topic.

I'm surprised that we don't have prediction contest. I honestly think Erin Hills is not as much of a bomber's paradise as the scorecard suggests.Β 

I believe it favors someone who can spin the ball a lot, and a decent driver of the ball. I believe Sergio has a good chance at the second leg. I hoping Dufner keeps this form up that led him to win at Memorial. But it will probably, be someone like a Furyk, or Spieth that wins it.

• Upvote 2

What's in Shane's Bag?Β  Β  Β 

Ball: 2022 :callaway:Β Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8Β° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple DiamondΒ Β H: :callaway:Β Apex Pro 21 20Β°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway:Β Jaws Raw 50Β°, 54Β°, 60Β° UST Recoil 110Β Putter: :odyssey:Β Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Interesting. I was at Oakmont in 1994 and I even thought at the time that they should play 9 as a Par 4, which they've done the past two Opens. Β But I haven't always agreed with their decisions, because a lot of these Par 5s they convert into LONG Par 4's include green complexes that were designed with an extra shot in mind. A wedge approach, not a long iron. No. 9 at Oakmont is an exception. I've reached that green in 2 (and four-putted for bogey). The tips aren't far behind the members tees (you can't go back much further, since the PA Turnpike is in the way) so that was an ideal hole to change.Β 

So this kind of makes me happy. Mike Davis and the USGA decided on four Par 5s, and decided they canΒ still test the golfers in relation to par. I like that, because watching the pros play Par 5s is great.

Edited by Aguirre

"Witty golf quote."

39 minutes ago, Aguirre said:

Interesting. I was at Oakmont in 1994 and I even thought at the time that they should play 9 as a Par 4, which they've done the past two Opens. Β But I haven't always agreed with their decisions, because a lot of these Par 5s they convert into LONG Par 4's include green complexes that were designed with an extra shot in mind. A wedge approach, not a long iron. No. 9 at Oakmont is an exception. I've reached that green in 2 (and four-putted for bogey). The tips aren't far behind the members tees (you can't go back much further, since the PA Turnpike is in the way) so that was an ideal hole to change.Β 

So this kind of makes me happy. Mike Davis and the USGA decided on four Par 5s, and decided they canΒ still test the golfers in relation to par. I like that, because watching the pros play Par 5s is great.

I watched a little video on Facebook about the four holes that could decide the U.S. Open. Though there are 4 par-5s only one was on the list. #7. There are bunkers on this course the late Seve Ballesteros would have trouble with. (He was one of the golfers I hoped to actually meet one day).Β 

Some of the bunkering on the course is a little ridiculous. You could see pros taking 3 or 4 to get out of. They are penal to say the least. There will be some triple bogeys or worse, because of the bunkering.Β 

But with the USGA basically throwing the field a proverbial bone with a par-72, under par will win. My gut tells me 284 will win. You may even see the second ever birdie on the 72nd hole to win by 1.

• Upvote 1

Ball: 2022 :callaway:Β Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8Β° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple DiamondΒ Β H: :callaway:Β Apex Pro 21 20Β°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway:Β Jaws Raw 50Β°, 54Β°, 60Β° UST Recoil 110Β Putter: :odyssey:Β Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Here's your scorecard for the U.S. Open

Hole. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Yards. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Par

Β  1. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 608. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  5

Β  2. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 338. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  4

Β  3. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 508. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  4

Β  4. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 439. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  4

Β  5. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 505. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  4

Β  6. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 208. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  3

Β  7. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 607. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  5

Β  8. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 492. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  4

Β  9. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 135. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  3

Out. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  3840. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 36

10. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 504. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 4

11. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 460. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 4

12. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 464. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 4

13. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 193. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 3

14. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 594. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 5

15. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 357. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 4

16. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 183. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 3

17. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 509. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 4

18. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 637. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 5

In. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  3901. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  36

Tot. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 7741. Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  72

It looks like ol' Mike is listing #1 at 608, but they do have a shorter tee at 560 yards ready to go. They may or may not use the back tee on 18 (663Β yards). Like I said before. the 570ish tee on 18 is ready to go. 15 may play as short as 290ish on one of the daysΒ 

• Upvote 2

Steve Stricker, Jordan Niebrugge qualify for U.S. Open at Erin Hills

Steve Stricker was disappointed that the United States Golf Association denied his request for a special exemption into the U.S. Open, so he went into sectional qualifying Monday with a chip on his shoulder.

Perhaps he should play miffed more often.

Stricker, 50, of Madison, shot rounds of 67 and 65 and birdied the final hole to win a sectional in Memphis, Tenn., and earn his spot in the field for the 117th U.S. Open next week at Erin Hills.

He finished at 10-under-par 132, one shot ahead of Chez Reavie, Troy Merritt, Andres Romero, Garrett Osborn and Harris English.

Jordan Niebrugge of Mequon also qualified, tying for second in the Tacoma, Wash., sectional with rounds of 73 and 67, the latter bogey-free.

He and Stricker are the only players with state ties to make it into the 156-player U.S. Open field.

RELATED:Β Gary D'Amato's seven-part series, 'The Making of Erin Hills'

RELATED:Β Β Airline loses clubs, costs golfer a chance to qualify for U.S. Open

RESULTS:Β Β U.S. Open sectional qualifying

Stricker, a 12-time winner on the PGA Tour, will be making his 20th appearance in the U.S. Open. He finished fifth in both 1998 and '99.

β€œIt means a lot,” he said. β€œNot getting an exemption was a motivational factor. Not that I deserved one, but it’s been driving me to achieve this goal. And I’m just happy that I’m going to get to play. It’s a relief to get to play in the first (U.S. Open) in my home state.

β€œI’ve played (Erin Hills) maybe a half-dozen times. I’ll be like everybody else next week – playing a few practice rounds and trying to find an extra 20 yards on my driver. It’s a big golf course.”

Mike Davis, executive director and CEO of the USGA, said he was pleased for Stricker.

β€œHaving Wisconsin’s own Steve Stricker qualify for this year’s U.S. Open at Erin Hills is really special,” Davis said. β€œHe will bring an enormous amount of energy to the U.S. Open’s first trip to Wisconsin and will no doubt be a fan favorite for his fellow Wisconsinites.

β€œSteve demonstrated his golf skills and competitive spirit in qualifying. We congratulate his great play.”

Niebrugge, 23, will be making his U.S. Open debut, but he tied for sixth place in the 2015 British Open as an amateur and also played in the 2014 Masters.

The former All-American at Oklahoma State won a qualifier for the U.S. Amateur Public Links Championship at Erin Hills in 2013 and went on to win the title. Later that summer, he also won the Western Amateur and Wisconsin State Amateur and Match Play titles.

β€œIt all kind of started at Erin Hills,” he said, β€œso I’ve got some good memories there.”

As a senior at OSU, Niebrugge finished second in the Erin Hills Intercollegiate, a tournament hosted by Marquette University. He turned professional in 2016 and is playing on the PGA Tour-sanctioned McKenzie Tour in Canada.

β€œTo play in the U.S. Open in front of my family and friends at Erin Hills ... I don’t know what to say about that,” Niebrugge said. β€œI used to walk that course, thinking of the 2017 U.S. Open and now I’m going to play in it. Wow.”

Several other players with Wisconsin ties fell short in 10 sectionals around the country.

Menomonee Falls native Mark Wilson shot 69-68 in Memphis but fell two shots short of advancing.

Charlie Danielson of Osceola, a four-time All-American at Illinois, shot 68-68 at Springfield (Ohio) Country Club and missed by three shots.

They had plenty of company. Kelly Kraft, who won the 2011 U.S. Amateur at Erin Hills, and Patrick Cantlay, the runner-up, both failed to advance out ofΒ Columbus. Among the others who didn’t make it to Erin Hills were Vijay Singh, Davis Love III, Luke Donald and Tony Finau.

• Upvote 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.Β Β  I'm Denny

Per this morning's Dayton Daily News, a Web.comΒ guy named Corey Connors broke the Springfield Country Club course record with a 61 to qualify.A Canadian, Connors missed the cut on the web.comΒ last weekend and got the chance to play the course before hand.Β 

Naturally, I always wish the fellows that come out of the local qualifier the best of luck.

7741. Β Good grief. Β I know it will play a lot shorter since it will be firm and fast but that's crazy. Β I remember when they made a big deal of a 600 yard par 5 when I was going up...now all but one is 600 yards and the only other one is 18 feet from them ALL being 600+.

As a side note, I was thrilled to see Scott Harvey qualify yesterday. Β Local guy here who has been a top amateur for a while now. Β He won the mid-am a couple years ago and lost last year to Hagestad in the finals.Β Β Finally qualified for the US Open.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave
Β 

• Administrator
9 hours ago, NCGolfer said:

7741. Β Good grief. Β I know it will play a lot shorter since it will be firm and fast but that's crazy. Β I remember when they made a big deal of a 600 yard par 5 when I was going up...now all but one is 600 yards and the only other one is 18 feet from them ALL being 600+.

As you know they probably won't play it that long. They'll move a few tees up each day, including making one hole drivable one or two days.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

I should look this up, but does anyone know if this is the last U.S. Open that Tiger is currently qualified for? Β IIRC, his ten year exemption ends at this one, and unlike other majors, the exemption for past champions is only ten years.

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

2 minutes ago, Shindig said:

I should look this up, but does anyone know if this is the last U.S. Open that Tiger is currently qualified for? Β IIRC, his ten year exemption ends at this one, and unlike other majors, the exemption for past champions is only ten years.

He has one more.

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/tiger-woodss-us-open-exemption-could-expire-soon

• Upvote 1

- John

4 hours ago, iacas said:

As you know they probably won't play it that long. They'll move a few tees up each day, including making one hole drivable one or two days.

I know. Β I just get a little pissy. Β Seems like the USGA has an inferiority complex and have to be fasterΒ and longer every year. Β When will it end? Β 8000 yard courses?

Fairways and Greens.

Dave
Β 

6 hours ago, iacas said:

Well @iacas, we know good ol' Mike likes to throw the players curveballs at times. I know during the U.S. Amateur in 2011, they moved the tee up on 15 to 290-something during the championship match.Β 

In your opinion, Erik do you see the shorter tee on 18 being used on the weekend? Sort of like Torrey Pines in 2008, when they used different tees on 18 all four rounds.

15 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

Thanks!Β 

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

• Administrator
11 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

In your opinion, Erik do you see the shorter tee on 18 being used on the weekend? Sort of like Torrey Pines in 2008, when they used different tees on 18 all four rounds.

I don't know much about this year's course. I imagine Mike Davis will do as he's almost always done and move stuff around, including the drivable par four hole (somewhere).

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Note:Β This thread is 2466 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!