IGNORED

Phil Mickelson missing US open for HS Graduation

StefanUrkel
Note: This thread is 2496 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

40 minutes ago, iacas said:

I know it's said constantly, and I "get it," but no… I could easily see someone dying and thinking "Man, I wish I had accomplished more professionally." Particularly if they do something that's beneficial to society - teacher, cancer researcher, author… whatever. Being good at your job, your work, your life's calling, can be uplifting to people. It's what drives some people.

When it comes to all those things mentioned above, you're preaching to the choir (this is one of my all-time favorite quotes). But it's not impossible to be dedicated to both a profession and a family.

I also understand what you and some of the others are saying. Some families and individuals have a different threshold of what they consider worthy of missing work. Ben Hogan and his wife likely had a different outlook (even though they didn't have kids). He's remembered or thought of as building an impressive career by being exceptionally hard-working - which is admirable.

Phil has also built an impressive career. The fact that he was able to do so while also being involved with his family is something some of us also find admirable.

Spoiler

BTW, I never attended my HS graduation, nor did I attend my Father's funeral (and we were very close). Those were personal choices of which others opinions mean nothing - just as Phil probably doesn't care how we think of his choices.

Jon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

But it's not impossible to be dedicated to both a profession and a family.

As I'm sure you realize, I never said it was. Just that I'm sure people HAVE said what you said nobody ever says.

11 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

BTW, I never attended my HS graduation, nor did I attend my Father's funeral (and we were very close). Those were personal choices of which others opinions mean nothing - just as Phil probably doesn't care how we think of his choices.

Right. Which is why I don't really understand topics like this. None of us really know anything about Phil's family, their priorities, how Phil feels about the U.S. Open, etc.

It's like the topics where people ask whether art is worth it, or a Cameron putter, or whatever. We all have different value systems.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

It's not like he has no chance. He's still a good player. Top 25 in the world.

He always has a chance, everyone who plays has a chance, but the reality is that his chances are probably not very good to miss what he considers a very important event.

I had to look this up, but Phil's last win was in July 2013, Tiger's last win was August of 2013.

John

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

Right. Which is why I don't really understand topics like this. None of us really know anything about Phil's family, their priorities, how Phil feels about the U.S. Open, etc.

Agreed.

Jon

As an aside- for a few of the cynics on the board, it's not like Phil held some press conference to announce this and garner attention. He was asked about it after he notified the USGA this past week of his plans...something he is being widely applauded for. He is probably the biggest draw on tour at this point so he did the right thing by notifying the USGA so they would have time to plan accordingly with TV pairings.

Although as an unintended benefit of it being public this early, maybe he's passively trying to pressure the HS to change the graduation to Wednesday...part of me wouldn't be surprised if this happens.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, skydog said:

Although as an unintended benefit of it being public this early, maybe he's passively trying to pressure the HS to change the graduation to Wednesday...part of me wouldn't be surprised if this happens.

If he withdrew, what's the limit on when he can "un-"withdraw?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

If he withdrew, what's the limit on when he can "un-"withdraw?

As I heard his statement, Phil did not withdraw.  He said that unless something happened, he cited a weather delay, he could not attend his daughter's graduation in California and make it to the US Open.  He said he has not formally withdrawn, but wanted to let the USGA and any replacements time to prepare for it.  I think he said he could wait until the last moment (same day?) to withdraw.

John

I admit I am stunned at some of the negative comments on this.  Your kid's HS Graduation is a big deal and a once in a lifetime event.  I agree with Phil that the US Open is important to his legacy, but not as important as his family needs, which includes knowing Dad puts me ahead of his career.

Butch

12 hours ago, 70sSanO said:

As I heard his statement, Phil did not withdraw.  He said that unless something happened, he cited a weather delay, he could not attend his daughter's graduation in California and make it to the US Open.  He said he has not formally withdrawn, but wanted to let the USGA and any replacements time to prepare for it.  I think he said he could wait until the last moment (same day?) to withdraw.

John

Yes, I believe all that is correct.

He said there was no reason to officially WD at this point, it was just a courtesy heads up to all the parties involved that he will (at the last moment) if nothing changes.

I'm guessing the USGA will put him in an afternoon pairing on Thursday so that if there happens to be a weather delay that morning, he might be able to fly in from California in time.

Edited by skydog

I think it is a minor news story, only because Phil is still one of the top names in the golf world.
I find it odd how many people turn so judgmental about what someone else decides to make a priority in their life. Unless you are on his bag that week, or you've made a wager on him winning this years US Open (which Phil would likely endorse as a life choice), or you are on of the alternates waiting for an opening, then I don't really see how this affects you. Or why you feel like you need to defend or criticize his choice.

If you are complaining about this being news, then you should rant about the media and coverage and Brandel Chamblee (because you know he is going to blab on about it - just another example of him saying a lot about nothing)

Players play, tough players win!

On 6/4/2017 at 9:17 AM, David in FL said:

Extraordinarily well said.

Few teenagers are that insightful and/or selfless though.  

Few HUMANS are that insightful and/or selfless. 

21 hours ago, 70sSanO said:

He always has a chance, everyone who plays has a chance, but the reality is that his chances are probably not very good to miss what he considers a very important event.

I had to look this up, but Phil's last win was in July 2013, Tiger's last win was August of 2013.

John

What chances did people give Rich Beem?  Ben Curtis?  Shaun Micheel, etc...  Phil is still a top player and all it takes to win is to stay somewhere near the top and get on a little roll on Sunday, as he did in his last victory you cited.  Nobodies chances are "really good" when the chances are 1 out of 140 some odd players lol.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 9:36 PM, 70sSanO said:

John

It shouldn't be ignored that he's still finished 2nd in three of the last 10 majors...and barring record setting performances from Spieth and Stenson, he easily could have two majors over the last 26 months.

Unfortunately it's sounding like the high school is standing firm on the graduation date....seems a bit draconian to me considering it's a small private school that I'm guessing could bump it up a day without too much disruption.

2 hours ago, skydog said:

It shouldn't be ignored that he's still finished 2nd in three of the last 10 majors...and barring record setting performances from Spieth and Stenson, he easily could have two majors over the last 26 months.

Unfortunately it's sounding like the high school is standing firm on the graduation date....seems a bit draconian to me considering it's a small private school that I'm guessing could bump it up a day without too much disruption.

I don't blame them for not moving it as that precedent sends a worse message to an entitlement generation.

Re-print everything and change everyone else's plans and reservations for the benefit of a wealthy influential father, and next year do the same thing for a CEO who has a conflict, etc.

John

12 minutes ago, 70sSanO said:

I don't blame them for not moving it as that precedent sends a worse message to an entitlement generation.

Re-print everything and change everyone else's plans and reservations for the benefit of a wealthy influential father, and next year do the same thing for a CEO who has a conflict, etc.

John

Fair enough. I guess I would hope that the fellow parents/students of the school community would push for a change as a show of support for Phil...not the school itself decreeing it.

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, 70sSanO said:

That's the audience they cater to, no? It's not like she's attending a public school. She attends a private school that cater to the wealthy.

45 minutes ago, iacas said:

That's the audience they cater to, no? It's not like she's attending a public school. She attends a private school that cater to the wealthy.

That's true.  And in the future they can set the date based on the highest bidder.  That way they can get additional funds and teach the kids a lesson on modern day America.

John

Note: This thread is 2496 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!