IGNORED

Phil Mickelson missing US open for HS Graduation

StefanUrkel
Note: This thread is 2476 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Graduation probably saved him from having a "cut" on his record. Not sure Phil's driving would have helped him here.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Graduation probably saved him from having a "cut" on his record. Not sure Phil's driving would have helped him here.

I think he could have done quite well. The fairways are wide.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I think he could have done quite well. The fairways are wide.

Going over a few numbers, Phil's having a decent season with 15/15 Cuts made this year with four top tens. He's 143rd in strokes gained off the tee at -0.143 with a fairway hit percentage of only 53.64% (184th on tour), but that's been fairly typical of his game over the past decade. With 23/26 cuts made in his US Open career including ten top tens, I'd say it's more likely than not that he makes the cut here despite missing the cut last year and being 47 years old.

Since Phil's game is a box of chocolates, I'm fine calling both your and Valley's opinions logical, but when you consider that this is probably the most forgiving US Open venue off the tee we've seen in a long time, I have to think Phil has an advantage here over the field. 

Honestly, it's a shame we didn't get to see him give Erin Hills a go for that reason. He had as good a shot to win an open here as any other host course in US Open history. He'll never admit it, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was kicking himself right now on some small level, even if he is ultimately happy with his decision to attend his daughter's graduation instead. But he's never played the course. No prep, nothing. And by now he probably realizes just how suited this place was for his game. Shrug. Oh well. I'm definitely not gonna cry for him :-D

• Upvote 2

Constantine

2 hours ago, CCC said:

Who cares? I don't.

Thanks for your insightful, articulate and well-reasoned contribution. We are all much the better for it.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Shorty said:

Thanks for your insightful, articulate and well-reasoned contribution. We are all much the better for it.

And what, pray tell, does your response add to the discussion?

Cripes.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2476 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!