IGNORED

Breath with Movement

JCrane
Note: This thread is 2399 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

5 hours ago, Jack Watson said:

@JCrane

Tennis players exhale through their shots hence all the interesting sounds but remember they are running around the whole time.

Ive seen a lot of tennis players with the passing shot "mhhhhhhhhh!"  

"Come on!"

In golf we are just standing there.  I file this topic either in the round section or under misc irrelevant.

You have just brought up one of the great myths in Deep Breathing. Many people believe that the body must be moved vigorously in order to force the oxygen into the system to create deep breath and that is why we exercise.

We do not have to move the body vigorously, but instead just practice deep breathing. As we condition the body to get used to deep breathing over time, it responds and we breath deeply all the time, not just when we exercise.  I use slow controlled Yoga moves to build strength, mobility, and balance while at the same time using very deep breaths. My resting heart rate is 38-40 and I have not exercised in the traditional sense for many years, although I have now started swimming. Of course I have developed this over years, but non the less it works.

I found this video where the breath is used in Karate in a similar way to tennis as mentioned on youtube go to youtube and search

Correct Breathing In Karate (and other martial arts)

On 8/25/2017 at 0:29 AM, JCrane said:

We do not have to move the body vigorously, but instead just practice deep breathing. As we condition the body to get used to deep breathing over time, it responds and we breath deeply all the time, not just when we exercise.  I use slow controlled Yoga moves to build strength, mobility, and balance while at the same time using very deep breaths.

Here is a GolfRX clip from Mark Williamson, the golf yogi, on how to improve breathing for the golf swing. Mark played professional golf from 2002-2007.

Mark has longer YouTube clips on golf and yoga in various online links.

Edited by WUTiger

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, WUTiger said:

Here is a GolfRX clip from Mark Williamson, the golf yogi, on how to improve breathing for the golf swing. Mark played professional golf from 2002-2007.

Mark has longer YouTube clips on golf and yoga in various online links.

excellent video I hope people take a look at it with an open mind. Thanks for Sharing

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/23/2017 at 6:54 AM, WUTiger said:

Pro boxer Manny Pacquiao plays golf for fun, and Callaway sent him a new set of clubs before his last fight.

A couple of years ago, one of the young PGA tour pros (can't remember who) said that he had done conditioning workouts with Manny. During the workouts, Manny told golf pro that proper breathing was important in boxing and throwing punches, and suggested that managing breathing would help one's golf swing. The golf pro started focusing more on breathing properly during his swing.

Key idea from many sports: Don't hold your breath during tense moments, it just makes you jumpy.

Good observation. In 1970 a guy by the name of Herbert Benson wrote a book called the Relaxation Response. In it he studies "Fight or Flight " the reaction when confronted with a frightening situation, the body prepares itself to either fight the threat or run from it. The muscles tighten and breath is short. The problem is our bodies do not know the difference between a real threat and a perceived one, so if that 3 ft birdie put is perceived as a threat, we go into fight or flight.

Note: This thread is 2399 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!