IGNORED

Apple's WWDC 2017 Keynote

iacas
Note: This thread is 2510 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Bit of live posting here while I watch…

The opening thing was kinda dumb. I thought it was TJ Miller in the opening shot.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Boring part at the beginning, always.

Amazon coming to the TV app "later this year." That's fine, but it's kind of odd what took them so long. Not that AirPlay from my phone or computer was all that difficult. But it's at least a little better to do it directly.

Siri watch face… yawn. I like mine just fine. But "Siri" is apparently being broadened to include far more than the voice stuff.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Heard swing analysis, doh it's only tennis.

THE MAC

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator

Safari stuff is nice. Mail news is nice. The rest…nice updates, and continued evolution. Good. Just not worthy of noting specifically.

Oh, and really, High Sierra? That's not just another dad joke from Craig?

Updated iMacs. Again, evolutionary. All good. 64 GB on the 27-inch is nice.

Dum dee doo… Star Wars VR stuff… yawn.

• Administrator

Performance bump to the MacBook and MacBook Pro. The 13-inch Pro is now the same price as the MacBook? And the Air gets a speed bump. If they didn't sell so many I have to think it'd be out of the lineup by now.

iMac Pro is probably my next desktop.

I'll just have to get a thunderbolt enclosure or something like that for my external drive(s).

Though starting at $4999… maybe not. Though it does have the display on it.

Snore. "Turn it up to 11." C'mon, dad… iOS 11.

Message stickers are stupid. Do people actually use them?

Messages in iCloud? Don't they do that now? Oh, deleting goes away everywhere, that's good. :-)

• Administrator

Craig is going pretty fast. That could mean there's a good bit at the end, too.

Apple Pay for P2P? Cool. But the money… what… goes on your credit card?

Oh, he just answered that. Apple Pay Cash card.

Control Center re-design gets the demo? Okay… :-P

Single page, good, it's annoying to swipe over just to play my podcasts.

• Administrator

Oh, the demo is everything.

Including photos, etc.

Long exposure is nice. You can't really do that right now. I've tried to find apps that let me do it, even.

Okay, so the odds of a Siri cylinder decrease the longer Craig talks about iOS 11.

Driving mode will be great. I'll turn that on immediately. I'm pretty good about not using my phone while driving, but sometimes I start a message at a stop light and continue, because someone wrote to me. I'll continue to play podcasts and use Waze, but the blocking notifications will be nice.

Siri cylinder seems really unlikely with the AppleTV news about how it's hooked up to a speaker already…?

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

https://twitter.com/jimroepcke/status/871794386178154496

That's a good point. I don't want that notification going out to everyone who sends me a message.

Oh, it's a protected account, says: "Not turning on driving mode if it means I have to enable that notification. It's nobody's business to know I'm driving."

I'm gonna stick with the MBP I have now. It would be nice to have the faster processors but happy with my machine.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

35 minutes ago, iacas said:

Performance bump to the MacBook and MacBook Pro. The 13-inch Pro is now the same price as the MacBook? And the Air gets a speed bump. If they didn't sell so many I have to think it'd be out of the lineup by now.

I've had my 13" MacBook Air for 6+ years now...if I didn't just replace the battery I'd think about getting a new one.  I'm amazed at it's longevity.

Will probably go MacBook Pro next.  My only complaint on the Air is that the fan kicks into high-speed too often when I'm running a few too many things.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

• Administrator

I'm not a huge fan of AR stuff. We're a long ways off from that being a VERY useful thing.

By "long way" I mean at the current pace of technology, so, could be much sooner than we thought. The game demo now shows what I mean… why would you play a game by walking around a table? People don't game that way… because you're looking at a screen you're holding, but walking around a real-world object that has nothing on it. The play field is still the SCREEN, not the actual object.

https://twitter.com/settern/status/871798989766533121

This is one of the longer keynotes I remember, despite all the live blogs saying they're going at a breakneck pace. And they're still got one more thing to announce.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator

1 minute ago, jamo said:

This is one of the longer keynotes I remember, despite all the live blogs saying they're going at a breakneck pace. And they're still got one more thing to announce.

Siri canister? I don't know…

Hitting the two-hour mark soon. Apple almost always keeps Keynotes to about two hours.

Will they exceed their historical soft limit by 30 minutes and go 2:30?

iPad features in iOS 11… long overdue.

"Biggest iOS update for iPad ever."

Drag and drop on iPad, long overdue. Heard it was just late for iOS 10… didn't make it in time.

I really liked the DND Driving feature, especially how you can allow certain people/notifications to come through. But I haaaaaate the auto-reply. I'm totally fine with my friends just not hearing from me for a half hour. If there's no way to turn that part of it off I don't think I'll use it at all.

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Siri canister? I don't know…

That's the only thing I can think of.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator

Files app.

Just now, jamo said:

I really liked the DND Driving feature, especially how you can allow certain people/notifications to come through. But I haaaaaate the auto-reply. I'm totally fine with my friends just not hearing from me for a half hour. If there's no way to turn that part of it off I don't think I'll use it at all.

Yep.

Demoing Files now. Maybe a bit bummed it's not for iPhone? Or is it?

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Files app.

Demoing Files now. Maybe a bit bummed it's not for iPhone? Or is it?

I'm not sure why anyone would dislike it (just going off instant reactions). Don't want to think about the file system? Easy. Just don't use the Files app.

In my bag:

• Administrator

Still on iPad and iOS 11. Siri cylinder looking highly unlikely now.

Wait!

Reinvent home music? Bah. I think this is gonna be dumb.

I don't know people who constantly play music in their homes. Not people who live with other people.

"Breakthrough home speaker". Bah.

• Administrator

Sneak peek, later this year? Dumber.

Meh.

HomePod? Oh boy.

Why are they spending so much time talking about a stupidly named product that's just a speaker?

At least it has the microphones… but I hope to heck and back that this is a LOT more than about music.

Yeah, it does some of that stuff. Okay. Hopefully those domains grow quickly, and it's on par with Google Home and Amazon.

Note: This thread is 2510 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!