IGNORED

Nice Stand Bags

Note: This thread is 2464 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all,

I'm looking for a nice stand bag that isn't too heavy and not cheaply made. I'm looking for one that's under $200, which is the problem. I have a stand bag currently, but it is a total piece of Chinese garbage. I got it from my school and it is quite literally a Walmart/Chinese bag rebranded to Ogio. Here is the Walmart bag, http://bit.ly/2sd7Z32 (shortened), and here is the "Ogio", http://bit.ly/2sPFncL (shortened). My "Ogio" had the dividers ripped out by my grips, zippers come off, and the legs are bent almost to the breaking point (not to mention the straps have 0 padding and feel like ropes on your shoulders). If anyone has any suggestions for stand bags please let me know. Hit 'em well.

On 6/7/2017 at 4:11 PM, ElMachoGolf said:

I'm looking for a nice stand bag that isn't too heavy and not cheaply made. I'm looking for one that's under $200, which is the problem. I have a stand bag currently, but it is a total piece of Chinese garbage. I got it from my school and it is quite literally a Walmart/Chinese bag rebranded to Ogio. Here is the Walmart bag, http://bit.ly/2sd7Z32 (shortened), and here is the "Ogio", http://bit.ly/2sPFncL (shortened). My "Ogio" had the dividers ripped out by my grips, zippers come off, and the legs are bent almost to the breaking point (not to mention the straps have 0 padding and feel like ropes on your shoulders). If anyone has any suggestions for stand bags please let me know. Hit 'em well.

I'm currently using a Ping Hoofer, nearly two years old, and showing virtually no signs of wear.  Before that I had a Sun Mountain Three 5.  I used that for 3 or 4 years, and never had a bit of problem with it.  I'd say either of those bags would fit both your requirements and your budget.  The Hoofer is just a little bigger and a little heavier than the Sun Mountain, at least at the time I got mine.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Sun Mountain and PING make good bags. Sun Mountain makes the bags for a few other brands, too, like the Under Armour bags.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

27 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm currently using a Ping Hoofer, nearly two years old, and showing virtually no signs of wear.

I'll second that.

I got my Ping Hoofer used a few years ago. I'm not really sure how old it is, but I'd guess six years at least. I'm pretty damn rough with my stuff and that bag is still doing a great job.

Edited by mcanadiens

I was looking at the Hoofer online today. I was going to go to Golf Galaxy Sunday to look at the Hoofer for sure and maybe a Sun Mountain bag. Thanks for confirming my thoughts.

8 minutes ago, ElMachoGolf said:

I was looking at the Hoofer online today. I was going to go to Golf Galaxy Sunday to look at the Hoofer for sure and maybe a Sun Mountain bag. Thanks for confirming my thoughts.

I posted a little comparison of the two bags, right after I got the new Ping.  Things might have changed since then, but you might be interested.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

52 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm currently using a Ping Hoofer, nearly two years old, and showing virtually no signs of wear.  Before that I had a Sun Mountain Three 5.  I used that for 3 or 4 years, and never had a bit of problem with it.  I'd say either of those bags would fit both your requirements and your budget.  The Hoofer is just a little bigger and a little heavier than the Sun Mountain, at least at the time I got mine.

Yeah.  I always considered the Hoofer to be pretty close to the gold standard...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand why people like Ogio.  I find their products to be low quality for the price point.

Stand bags from Sun Mountain are the best for the money, IMHO.

The Titleist Players bags have my eye lately.  Don't have one, but they sure look the part.

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

i like my 2017 nike stand bag its real nice and very lite. got the 2017 Nike catalog and man if they dropped the 17 bags id gone for the all black staff bag with the red lip on top. 2017 nike stuff looks real good shame they didn't release em before dipping out. idk i will always use a nike bag for the rest of my life. new TM bags do look good tho. never been a fan of the titleist bags or the callaway bags. bags a bag, if it holds your stuff and is a lite feeling bag, then thats all i need

WITB:
Taylormade M2 - 10.5º 
Taylormade M2 - 3w 15º
Callaway - Apex CF16 9i-3i
Vokey - 46º F Grind
Taylormade MG - 54º, 60º   
Scotty Cameron - Newport M1  - 4.5º
Taylormade - TP5X #7

35 minutes ago, Golf Grouch said:

I don't understand why people like Ogio.  I find their products to be low quality for the price point.

I really like the top-level divider in the Ogio.  Four individual club slots (great, as I carry four woods, including hybrids) and then three things that comfortably hold three irons or wedges, and a putter well.  My last Ogio lasted me four years of fairly regular use and my only complaint was that it was a cart bag;  convenient for when I played (I walk when possible, but use a push cart) but not for the range.  That's on me, though, as they make stand bags too.

As for stand bags, I guess from this thread my next one should be a Ping or Sun Mountain.  I just accept that any stand bag I own is going to eventually need manual intervention to get the legs down.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

12 hours ago, proto said:

...bags a bag, if it holds your stuff and is a lite feeling bag, then thats all i need

I respectfully disagree.  In my experience, a high-quality stand bag is materially better than a low-quality one.  Broken stand mechanisms, bent stand legs, undone stitching, and broken zippers are just some of the issues I've encountered with lower-tier bags.  Not worth it, IMHO.

18 hours ago, Golf Grouch said:

Stand bags from Sun Mountain are the best for the money, IMHO.

Before my current Ping Hoofer I had an Ogio Grom and really liked it.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Club binding. Sucks. I really like Ping Hoofer bags. But I can't understand why these manufacturers can't make a bag that won't have clubs get all bunched together. If you have any grip size bigger than standard, you're screwed. Is it really just so expensive and not cost effective to make full length dividers for each compartment? Having my sand wedge get hung up with my driver is ridiculous. That's actually why I got a staff bag which I don't have any biding issues. Unfortunately I become 'that guy' using a staff bag..lol. But now I'm back to Ping clubs and I'm psycho and prefer to have my bag same as my clubs. Stupid, but I may be able to overcome this if I could find a stand bag that truly won't bind the clubs. Even my 14 way Ping Hoofer....clubs still get crammed. Frustrating.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Is it really just so expensive and not cost effective to make full length dividers for each compartment?

It's certainly going to add weight.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

It's certainly going to add weight.

Really? Just a panel of nylon running down? Hell, I'd take 10lbs extra weight if my clubs would come out nicely.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

After my 18 holes today here are my thoughts:

• The bag is light
  • The straps are amazing, really wide, separates all the weight from the bag so your shoulders don't hurt after
  • The space management is fantastic, I've never seen a bag that has its own clever compartment for the rain hood (Hidden behind the black mesh with a hidden zipper http://bit.ly/2s1knyX)
  • The legs seem way durable because of the joint near the top of the legs
  • My only problem is (like Vinsk said) the separation between clubs is little to none, could be hard to put a club in or take one out from time to time

Overall the bag is fanastic and has features that some cart bags don't. 

Note: This thread is 2464 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!