IGNORED

2017 Travelers Championship

Chris223
Note: This thread is 2494 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I watched a decent amount this week and Spieth had his B- game at best...and still won. And he became only the second player in the modern era (next to Tiger) to rack up 10 tour wins before age 24 (apologies to those who watched network coverage and already heard that 100 times from Nantz et al.)

The guy is a legitimate gamer and those who continue to claim he isn't that good are starting to look like the Japanese soldiers who continued to fight in the Pacific for years after the war was over. 

Jordan is becoming a little too Mickelsonesque in how he gets into trouble and then has to pull off tough shots.  He should have never put himself into a position to even be in a playoff.  Congrats to him never-the-less.

John

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, 70sSanO said:

Jordan is becoming a little too Mickelsonesque in how he gets into trouble and then has to pull off tough shots.  He should have never put himself into a position to even be in a playoff.  Congrats to him never-the-less.

John

48 wins as a pro so being Mickelsonesque would be the pinnacle for 99 percent of the world.

Trollin' is the life

I glad for Speith, but he sure did make it hard on himself on the back nine. He was so twitchy before shots and talking to himself after. I was worried that he would blow it and it would be another setback.

I hope that this relaxes him a bit on the course now. He has put a great deal of pressure on himself and a few failures this past year and a half have definitely affected his mindset. This win could change that.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

11 hours ago, Chris223 said:

Excellent suggestion on Frankies!  Was awesome sir.  What a great round to go to as well, was nuts when Jordan sunk that bunker shot!  

Nice, glad you guys enjoyed it...great dogs.  I was kicking myself for not going yesterday, but still awesome to watch on TV. 

- Bill

Jordan on a bad day.....

Just imagine how much he'd have crushed the field if he wasn't falling apart on Sunday.

I was convinced he was going to lose.  But that's a neat bunker shot.  The national news showed the bunker shot and the teaser exclaimed "one Tiger Woods has every done this"....sigh.  How about a ton of other pros?  or Jordan on his first win?  etc...

And, finally a CBS announcer actually said about a player - "he's such a good swinger....of the golf club".  Maybe they should just stop talking completely.  Maybe it's just a standing joke now as it's so idiotic?

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Great to be there in person and watch the drama unfold. I'm not a big fan of either Speith or Berger, but, but this is what I especially dislike about Berger. A year or two ago, he was injured prior to one of those limited-field tournaments and knew he wasn't going to play. Instead of withdrawing and giving an alternate a chance, he went to the first tee, hit one ball, and promptly WD. Collected $20,000 for himself. Seems a bit selfish and shallow to me. Doesn't ever look like a happy guy either. I don't think he will ever become a fan favorite.

1 hour ago, Archie Bunker said:

Instead of withdrawing and giving an alternate a chance, he went to the first tee, hit one ball, and promptly WD. Collected $20,000 for himself. Seems a bit selfish and shallow to me. Doesn't ever look like a happy guy either. I don't think he will ever become a fan favorite.

I'm not a fan, but I can't explain why.  I'm probably not being fair.  Hard to justify not likely his expression, but that's all I got.

As for collecting $20,000 2-3 years ago, I can't judge a guy that just started on the PGA and maybe hasn't collected any money and needs to eat, live, and get to the next tourney and try to make a living.  How much did he make that first year?  I don't know, so I'd hold off on that particular assessment.

Though I completely understand your position on it, I just haven't walked in his shoes 2-3 years ago.  Now that he's won a couple big purses and another top 5 finish money, I'd side with you immediately if it happened next week......

Bill - 

1 hour ago, Archie Bunker said:

Great to be there in person and watch the drama unfold. I'm not a big fan of either Speith or Berger, but, but this is what I especially dislike about Berger. A year or two ago, he was injured prior to one of those limited-field tournaments and knew he wasn't going to play. Instead of withdrawing and giving an alternate a chance, he went to the first tee, hit one ball, and promptly WD. Collected $20,000 for himself. Seems a bit selfish and shallow to me. Doesn't ever look like a happy guy either. I don't think he will ever become a fan favorite.

Did he prevent someone else from a slot? You said it was a "limited field" event (I vaguely recall the incident), so that sounds like the field was set thru standings or whatever, and it was an easy way for him to make 20k...which, by the way, he earned by getting into the field to begin with.

I can understand the appearance of selfishness, but maybe it wasn't. It could simply have been cashing in on an opportunity he earned. 

17 hours ago, skydog said:

I watched a decent amount this week and Spieth had his B- game at best...and still won. And he became only the second player in the modern era (next to Tiger) to rack up 10 tour wins before age 24 (apologies to those who watched network coverage and already heard that 100 times from Nantz et al.)

The guy is a legitimate gamer and those who continue to claim he isn't that good are starting to look like the Japanese soldiers who continued to fight in the Pacific for years after the war was over. 

That's why I think this might have been his best win yet...even bigger than the Masters & US Open in 2015. Back then he was riding a hot streak. But this week, especially on Sunday down the stretch, the wheels were coming off. Hell, on the playoff hole he hit a tree off the tee, had 227 in & put it in the bunker...then the great shot. He learned to somehow, some way...just get the win. All the greats have learned how to do that. And now Spieth has. 

22 hours ago, skydog said:

Hey, all you have to do is hide in a cave and ignore reality!

And I love the folks who still maintain that Spieth is a "short" hitter. He's well above average, and I'd kill to be able to hit it as long as he does.

13 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I glad for Speith, but he sure did make it hard on himself on the back nine. He was so twitchy before shots and talking to himself after. I was worried that he would blow it and it would be another setback.

I hope that this relaxes him a bit on the course now. He has put a great deal of pressure on himself and a few failures this past year and a half have definitely affected his mindset. This win could change that.

I don't know about that. It seems that, at 24, this is Spieth's personality with maybe some small adjustments in the future as he gets older. Frankly, I find the honesty refreshing. I was watching him in a tournament last year, and he hit a bad drive on a particular hole. He yelled out, "Awwww, no! I hate this drive! I just hate it!"

Kind of nice to know that even the pros can struggle with the same issues we do. You step up on the tee, and you just can't stand the way the hole looks! Where the hell am I supposed to hit the ball?!

His putting on the back nine is what surprised me. Talk about going cold! If you told me that Spieth had a bad day putting, and I had not seen the tourney, I'd have imagined that he 2 putted everything, not 3 jacked a bunch of them!

Note: This thread is 2494 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!