IGNORED

Ten Minutes to Pain Free Golf

JCrane
Note: This thread is 2375 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

47 minutes ago, satchmodog said:

I'm going to look rather silly doing that at the driving range...

not as silly as you will look walking around holding your sore back with one arm LOL

5 hours ago, satchmodog said:

I already do that. Broke my back in three places lol :-D

I am sorry to hear that. I guess that was not very funny. I hope you are recovering. Best wishes

1 hour ago, JCrane said:

I am sorry to hear that. I guess that was not very funny. I hope you are recovering. Best wishes

Thanks, and don't sweat it. I had a nasty fall off a roof almost a decade ago. Lots of surgery, chronic pain and i live on painkillers. But life's too short to not have fun. That's why I'm here. I hadn't picked up a club in years and I missed golf. 

After an hour or so at the range, I am often in some nasty pain even the next day. I'm actually curious if these stretches will help, so I'm going to give them a shot. Just not on the range :-P

23 hours ago, JCrane said:

not as silly as you will look walking around holding your sore back with one arm LOL

14 minutes ago, JRod4928 said:

I'm 30 and have lower back stiffness (moderate, but enough to notice the difference from say 5 years ago). I'm going to give these stretches a try to loosen up. Got any golf related core strengthening exercise recommendations?

yes, I am going to post a core and balance challenge this week. It will contain 3 levels. Beginner, Intermediate, and advanced. These test will take about 10 minutes to do. Watch for it 

23 hours ago, satchmodog said:

Thanks, and don't sweat it. I had a nasty fall off a roof almost a decade ago. Lots of surgery, chronic pain and i live on painkillers. But life's too short to not have fun. That's why I'm here. I hadn't picked up a club in years and I missed golf. 

After an hour or so at the range, I am often in some nasty pain even the next day. I'm actually curious if these stretches will help, so I'm going to give them a shot. Just not on the range :-P

i will never forget this story I read about Walter Payton, the great running back for the Chicago Bears. A reporter asked Walter Payton why he seldom got hurt and had such a long career. 

He told the reporter that during the off season he ran mountains because it was the uneven and unexpected terrain that prepared his body for the football field, so while others were lifting weights in the weight room Walter was training his body for the riggers of football.

The lesson here is to prepare our body to the action we are going to submit it to. If you think about it golf is no different. We swing the club with a twisting motion, a coiling and uncoiling of the spine and back muscles, but if we have not trained those muscles to perform that action, then it makes sense to me those muscles are going to be sore from that movement. 

Maybe traumatizing is too strong a word, but we are certainly giving those muscles a strong jolt, something they are not used to.. Many golfers will say just keep hitting practice balls and your body will adjust and that is true, but why not be a Walter Payton and get the body ready first. That makes more sense to me. 

To do this the muscles must be gradually lengthened. and in a way that is dynamic to the body and resembles the golf swing as much as possible. This takes time and ideally should be done long term as a ritual to the game. When golfers ask me about golf muscles, I always ask them what muscles they do not want to use in the golf swing

I can not emphasize enough that these movements be done slowly and controlled with lots of breathing and patience 

Thanks for posting

Note: This thread is 2375 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!