IGNORED

My Swing (Fhmlp)

Fhmlp
Note: This thread is 2240 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 13 Years
My current handicap index or average score is: 12
My typical ball flight is: Very High
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Push Slice/Pull Hook/Block

As the above says I have been playing golf consistently for over 13 years and for the past 5 or so years since my swing speed/height has increased I have lost any control over the clubface/tempo and my swing. I've probably been to see 8 coaches in the past few years who all tell me different things however my most recent which I believe is the root cause of my major inconsistencies is my inability to stabilise my head both on the backswing and downswing, on my backswing I literally can't not drop my head down and forward with every club and then drop it even further on the downswing and into impact. This is something I have inherited since I was a junior and whatever I try can't get rid of.... It seems to take place on my backswing near enough as soon as I take the club away but I have no idea why and how to stop it.... Similarly my swing is probably far too long and way too on the inside hence why my coach has asked me to "feel" like exiting low and left to try and get my swing more on plane.

In a nutshell I have little idea with any iron or wood where the ball is going to start although 75% of the time is a push slice, the only reason I'm able to play to 12 is due to my insanely good short game and the fact I play on the widest course in the county.. Any advice especially on how to keep my head still like most of the pro's do would be very much appreciated as I don't seem to it when I take a practice swing it's just every time a ball is in front of me.

Need any more info just ask as there's not many youtube video's I haven't seen on attempts to sort my swing out!

(apologies for the swing being like 1/8 speed I forgot to upload in regular speed I can assure you it's very quick).

Regards

Videos: 

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Fhmlp said:

Anyone....? :(

Sorry, it's late… but… camera angles could be better, and nobody here really knows you yet. Post in some other topics, and you'll get some interest here.

Also, you're trying to eliminate… a push-slice, a pull-hook, AND a block? :-P

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wasn't aware you had to post in other topics to get some feedback on a swing haha, and yes I know it's hard to believe but I struggle with all 3 of those shots 80% or so either being a push slice or a straight block...

My biggest issue is honestly trying to maintain height in my golf swing but I can't seem to find any drill/aid to help keep my head much more still on the backswing

I think Iacas is talking about interest from other people.  It's not a rule, just a diagnosis of perhaps why you had to bump the thread.  

I'm not convinced your legs are driving your swing.  Hip tilt seems too flat at the top, right leg seems too bent, left leg straightens a bit too quickly, right foot rolls outward instead of inward.  All of these affect your shoulder path in some way or another which affects your head position and movement.  Clean up your leg action and see what happens to your head.

On 6/16/2017 at 11:47 PM, iacas said:

Also, you're trying to eliminate… a push-slice, a pull-hook, AND a block? :-P

That's what I was thinking :pound:

Edited by MasonAsher2014

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9
SM4 Titleist Vokey Wedges 47, 54, 58
College freshman playing golf at Wabash College in Indiana!

On 6/15/2017 at 10:46 PM, Fhmlp said:

inability to stabilise my head both on the backswing and downswing,

I used to do practice swings infront of a mirror every day for months till I got this down. Really concentrating on nothing but keeping the head still.

If you workout at a gym do some rotations inbetween sets with a broomstick and keep the head dead still.

Idk if thats the root cause of your problems tho but if you think it would help give it a shot.

• 7 months later...

Good evening all,

I thought I would provide an update on where I'm at with my game following on from my original post months ago. As you can see from the vid below I'm still suffering from the same problems I highlighted previously despite my handicap reducing to 10. From the lessons I've been having the main point which I'm mostly struggling with is how to shallow the shaft on the downswing. On every one of my swings I will drag the handle steeply down accompanied with massive early extension resulting in huge clubface issues. Being inside the plane roughly 5 degrees on average now means I still suffer from blocks aswell as sharp snap hooks. 

My coach said the collapse of my left knee in the backswing is the root cause of my head dropping and then in turn the early extension but when you watch a lot of the top players they also bend the left knee, Jack nicklaus being someone who's left knee caved massively in.... 

I'm just at a loose end as I've still got the major problems as listed below:

- Loss of height in backswing (Left knee collapsing)

- Overswing 

- Steep pull of shaft on downswing (nowhere near enough rotation)

- Early extension leading to high handle

I spend hours and hours watching youtube videos on all of the above but fundamentally I feel something is drastically wrong for all of these things to occur most shots. My grip is fine and neutral so it may be something posture related?

Any help is most appreciated and I will happily answer any questions.

Spending hundreds of pounds on lessons and countless hours watching videos to no success is slightly frustrating. I seem to know more about the swing than most players but definitely not one to match..

Many thanks

• Administrator

Bummed to see you didn't take the advice to participate elsewhere on the site to heart.

All I'll say at this point is that you can't work on four or five things at once. Find your priority piece, work on that.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

17 minutes ago, iacas said:

Bummed to see you didn't take the advice to participate elsewhere on the site to heart.

All I'll say at this point is that you can't work on four or five things at once. Find your priority piece, work on that.

Apologies but I don't post much on many media platforms at all whether it be golf or day to day life....

10 minutes ago, SunkTheBirdie said:

A wise man once said, you have to lose flex in your rear leg in the backswing.

I dont think you do.

I'm unsure what you mean by losing flex in my right leg could you elaborate slightly?

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Fhmlp said:

Apologies but I don't post much on many media platforms at all whether it be golf or day to day life....

Plain as I can, If you want free help here, it helps to do so.

5 minutes ago, Fhmlp said:

I'm unsure what you mean by losing flex in my right leg could you elaborate slightly?

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Plain as I can, If you want free help here, it helps to do so.

I''ll give this video a watch thanks, as for the free help I've always just assumed people would help if they feel they want to not decide based on my little activity on the site.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Fhmlp said:

I''ll give this video a watch thanks, as for the free help I've always just assumed people would help if they feel they want to not decide based on my little activity on the site.

People are far more likely to help people who participate elsewhere.

14 minutes ago, Fhmlp said:

Here's how I looked at it, (I joined in Feb. but didnt post a swing thread until June for exactly this reason) the more you post in other areas of the site, it helps people create a "mental image" about you, your thoughts on all aspects of golf, and allows others to get to know you on a more personal level depending on which topics you decide to post in. While the majority of the topics are golf-related, there are a few that aren't golf related and pretty much cover most hobbies/aspects of life except religion and politics for obvious reasons.

54 minutes ago, Fhmlp said:

I seem to know more about the swing than most players but definitely not one to match.

Since you claim to know so much about the swing, then reading and trying to help other golfers in their own swing threads might encourage them to hop over and take a look at your thread. 

**Caveat to this, people might not take your advice very seriously since they dont know much about you** 

I'm also confused. If you are paying a coach to work with you and improve your swing, why are you coming here to look for more/different advice? Why not just practice what your coach tells you to work on? As Erik said, identify your priority piece (which you should have already identified if you have spent hundred of pounds on lessons) and work on it until you nail that priority piece. If what he tells you doesnt work then maybe you need to find a new coach.

I think I'm a great example of priority pieces. I have numerous things that need improvement in my swing: head movement/centered pivot, weight forward, shaft lean at impact, etc etc and I notice all of them when I watch myself on video, but there's no way I can focus on keeping my head still and making a centered pivot while remembering to get my weight forward and fix my wrist conditions and maintain a forward shaft lean at impact. So what I have done is picked one piece, the head movement and centered pivot, and that will remain my priority piece until it is fixed and ingrained. If that takes 2 months, 6 months, 12 months, so be it. Only once that is done will I then move onto the next piece. Jumping from piece to piece or trying to fix too much at once will leave you spinning your tires and not getting anywhere.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

27 minutes ago, Fhmlp said:

It goes hand-in-hand.  Analyzing someone's swing and giving advice takes time out of people's day and they're more likely to do it for somebody they are more familiar with.

Are you more likely to help out a friend or a complete stranger?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
1 minute ago, klineka said:

Why not just practice what your coach tells you to work on? As Erik said, identify your priority piece (which you should have already identified if you have spent hundred of pounds on lessons) and work on it until you nail that priority piece. If what he tells you doesnt work then maybe you need to find a new coach.

@klineka, most instructors aren't good at what they do, and they probably have told him 20 different things.

Hey Bud, just so you know, your front(left) knee is extremely "internally rotated" which is wicked bad, s far as promoting ROTATION in the golf swing. 

The truth is very few that swing a golf club really understand or practice enough rotation. Its all about cause and effect. If you do anything to hinder rotation, you "HAVE TO THROW YOUR ANGLES AWAY" through impact. And if and when you ever fix your lack of rotation you will likely hit it mostly fat(unless other compensations are made)  

Practice 3/4 shots with a alignment rod in your grip and rotate, rotate, rotate!!!!!!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Note: This thread is 2240 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!