• Announcements

• iacas

Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
    • iacas

Win a Cart with Sun Mountain and TST!   06/02/2017

You can win a Speed Cart GT or a Micro Cart GT from Sun Mountain!
Papa Steve 55

plumb bobbing

74 posts in this topic

Why is it, whenever I ask a guy that plumbs his putts, what he is looking for, they can never explain it? You see them holding the putter like this / , what the heck is that telling them?

4 minutes ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

what the heck is that telling them?

Nothing.

Plumb bobbing makes almost no sense. The only sense it can make is to provide a "vertical" line, but even then, people often goof that up as you noted.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It supposedly will show you which side of the hole is higher thus telling you which way the putt will break.

3 hours ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

Why is it, whenever I ask a guy that plumbs his putts, what he is looking for, they can never explain it? You see them holding the putter like this / , what the heck is that telling them?

It's telling them that sooner or later, they're going to have to hit their putt.  And if they're like the people I know who plumb bob, it's more later than sooner. 

1 hour ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

It supposedly will show you which side of the hole is higher thus telling you which way the putt will break.

It doesn't, though.

The hole is supposed to appear on one side of the shaft or another… which makes no sense, because you an stand slightly left or right and get the hole to appear on both sides, or directly under the shaft to say "straight."

7 hours ago, Shindig said:

It's telling them that sooner or later, they're going to have to hit their putt.  And if they're like the people I know who plumb bob, it's more later than sooner. 

Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head. Its a delaying mechanism the golfer uses hoping the break will magically appear. That, along with tamping down the invisible spike marks that knocked the ball 12 inches off line.   

Some folks swear by it, others don't. It's the old chicken or the egg scenario. I've tried it because some the pros do it. Never seen any advantage to using it. Just figured I was doing it wrong by not seeing what ever the association is between the hanging shaft and the surface of the green. 

Me, I am one of those who sometimes looks at the plastic insert in the hole. I look for any difference  between the top of the insert, and the top of the hole. Even that can be considered iffy by some.

Other times I like to look at my putt from the other side of the hole. This seems to work best for me. 

I say what ever gives you confidence in your putting, do it. 

12 hours ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

But we don't need that, because the tournament commentators periodically remind us that the ball breaks away from the mountain, toward the creek, toward downtown Phoenix, etc.   /sarcasm

I use it... and no, I can't explain to people why.. BUT- I know which eye is dominant and use that one. If you don't use the correct eye, then it doesn't work.

Or use the wrong kind of putter, or if you don't hold it the exact same way every time, etc... And it's a bit trickier in windy conditions. And for loooong putts it's useless.

I get a feel and that's how I putt. And I'm a fairly decent putter overall. But 40+ years experience also factors in to that as well.

Just for the sake of discussion. Not all putter heads are weighted the same. If this system worked would it require a certain type of weighted putter head to work?

Silly gesture, but I suppose it could help mentally like a placebo. If you think it helps, then perhaps it will. A more effective way would be to have a precise, consistent, set up ritual you go through. (Zen).

Post #12   Posted (edited)

I tried it for awhile a few years back.  It never helped me read the break(S) and it took time to do.  I find I putt better by just eyeballing from behind the hole, the low side of the putt line, and from behind the ball.  Then step up, line up and make the putt you see.

Edited by ghalfaire
mis spell

I experimented with aim point +, but as was quickly pointed out, I probably did not know what I was doing, so I don't bother. I also just sort of eyeball what I think is the break, note the grain, and any obvious drainage.

PB, at its best, may give you one data point at the hole. Zach Johnson's former putting guru showed me how ZJ uses it, as a last resort, to get a slope at the hole reading. Most of the time I get nothing, and I don't do it to gather data - I do it when I have time to see if I am getting anything - as a lark.

Most get their reads from their eyes, which unfortunately can play tricks on them.

I use AimPoint Express. If you commit to it, it works beautifully.

Lee Trevino says all he can read when he tries plumb bob on the green is "true temper" :-D

But seriously there's a guy who I play with who does it all the time and very good putter but when asked why he doesn't have an answer.  

I suspect it's like how some people like to tap the putterhead on the ground.  It part of a comfortable routine for them.  Not so much reading the green 

Apologies in advance if you take the bluntness here a bit more harshly than it's intended. Please try not to have an emotional attachment to information, as that's all I'm going to be sharing here…

6 hours ago, Patch said:

Some folks swear by it, others don't. It's the old chicken or the egg scenario. I've tried it because some the pros do it. Never seen any advantage to using it. Just figured I was doing it wrong by not seeing what ever the association is between the hanging shaft and the surface of the green.

Plumb Bobbing does nothing. The only thing it can do is provide you a reference for vertical, and that's only true if you've figured out how to align your putter shaft so that it hangs vertically.

6 hours ago, Patch said:

Me, I am one of those who sometimes looks at the plastic insert in the hole. I look for any difference  between the top of the insert, and the top of the hole. Even that can be considered iffy by some.

It is, because cup liners aren't all put in perfectly vertically themselves. On a 1-2% slope it's quite common to have the liner inserted at about the same 1-2% angle.

Also, who cares what the putt is doing the last few inches… the other 30' matter a LOT more than what the green is doing the last 30 inches.

6 hours ago, Patch said:

I say what ever gives you confidence in your putting, do it. 

How about getting the best reads? :-) Have confidence in having the best green reading method.

4 hours ago, RayG said:

I use it... and no, I can't explain to people why.. BUT- I know which eye is dominant and use that one. If you don't use the correct eye, then it doesn't work.

Sorry, Ray, but it doesn't work regardless of which eye you use. Again, the only thing it can do is provide a reference line for vertical. That's it. It can't show you which way the ball breaks, nor how much it breaks. Physically impossible.

4 hours ago, RayG said:

Or use the wrong kind of putter, or if you don't hold it the exact same way every time, etc... And it's a bit trickier in windy conditions. And for loooong putts it's useless.

For all putts it's pretty useless. :-) Again, just the facts…

3 hours ago, Patch said:

Just for the sake of discussion. Not all putter heads are weighted the same. If this system worked would it require a certain type of weighted putter head to work?

No, every putter will hang vertically (from your perspective) if it's turned a certain direction. Actually, either that direction or 180° to that direction… of course.

@iacasActually it would work, in theory atleast.

Lets assume a few things 1. The putter is hanging vertically 2. The put were hitting is on a steady slope. So a steady break.

You would set up facing the hole behind the ball. Hang the putter infront forming a line between the hole and the ball. 

Now tilt your head till your eyes are level with the ground, the slope essentially. The more you tilt your head the further away from the hole the shaft would "move"(perspective, only visual. youre basically peeking from behind the shaft). 

Ive tried it every now and then and im looking to figure out if its gonna show me something but havent seen anything to help.The best way I can see the break is doing a camillo.