IGNORED

Etiquette Violation?

Cartboy
Note: This thread is 1705 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

8 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

I was gonna say this.  I do the same in casual rounds.  If I'm near somebody's line and it's not my turn then I'll put down an actual mark, but otherwise I'm just peeking to make sure there's no sand or dirt on the ball so I'll just use my putter or nothing.

Nothing?  Huh.  I gotta say, I've always marked with something...

Not judging or complaining, just kinda surprised.  

I don't know if I could physically pick up my ball without marking it!  :-P

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

Nothing?  Huh.  I gotta say, I've always marked with something...

Not judging or complaining, just kinda surprised.  

I don't know if I could physically pick up my ball without marking it!  :-P

I actually can't think of any times where I have marked with nothing - I do the putter toe thing usually.

Im just not able to say for certain that I mark every time.  Note:  I'm referring to just grabbing it for a sec, swiping off a bit of dirt or sand and replacing it.   I do t mean to confuse and say I'll pick it up and walk away and try and remember the spot. :)

(edited)

Others in the group do it, too.  We "play by the rules" unless one is expressly waived, like playing the ball "up" or gimmies in the leather, and this one has never been waived.

It's more like those who do it have always done it, a lot like driving carts where they are not supposed to be.

NBD

Edited by Cartboy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is it rude to assume READY golf is in effect, even with people we don't know?

I ALWAYS assume that people I play with play ready golf.

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

4 hours ago, BallMarker said:

I think communication is always a good thing.  If playing with strangers, I'd suggest that its appropriate to say you're planning to play ready golf, rather than simply assume that they all have the same attitude that you do.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

7 hours ago, BallMarker said:

Not rude, but probably incorrect.

Some golfers seem to "check out" when they get to the first tee.  For some, a golf course is a place to act differently than they do anywhere else.

Our local course recently lost their access to water, and over the course of a couple months the place has dried to the bone. Greens still in great shape (for now), but everything else is hard, dead dirt/ground. (Fantastic for getting those booming drives with the 30+ yards of roll though..)

Since this change in course condition, they have adopted a "lift and place" rule: 1 club length, no closer to the hole, you can lift and place your ball onto any blades of grass or decent patch you can find.

My issue is a playing partner of mine will use this rule to provide himself some severe relief when in a spot of trouble. Say his drive ends up in some reeds/tall plants. He will use this rule to move his ball one clublength away, to a point where these reeds are no longer an issue for his swing.

I have tried telling him he is "improving his lie", but he's either ignoring me or not seeming to care/see the issue.

How would you go about addressing this? As well as, is this actually a rules violation if the course has a policy where you can take this "free" relief? (Note: we are not playing for money, but we do like to still make it a competition, and will refer to a "winner" at the end, so I feel like this has more of an impact than if we were just hacking our way around without a care) 

• Administrator

I wouldn't address it. Sounds like he's simply using the rule you guys have put in place.

So either play the Rules of Golf or limit Lift, Clean, and Place to 6" or so.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 hours ago, Cartboy said:

As long as he's not talking about Trump, I'm cool.

:-)

No politics please.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 minute ago, Cartboy said:

Absolutely, that's what started this thread, unwanted politics while golfing!

Agree, but let's try to steer the thread to be more generic vs. getting folks down the path of talking politics in the thread. Some cannot help themselves.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 1 month later...

I got an email saying "I was missed" here.

I clicked the link and got a blank page.

Kinda funny!

- - - - - - - 

Season is over up north, & we're heading to (as Mitt Romney might say) one of our other places.

:-)

On 9/8/2017 at 6:34 PM, iacas said:

I wouldn't address it. Sounds like he's simply using the rule you guys have put in place.

So either play the Rules of Golf or limit Lift, Clean, and Place to 6" or so.

BAZINGA!

On 6/16/2017 at 9:38 AM, Cartboy said:

In a friendly, yet competitive, round claiming to be playing by the rules of golf (except, of course, for those rules anyone cares to waive for themselves :-)), would it be a violation of any rule for a person to engage in a rant (ie political), and chide the other members of the group for not agreeing . . . and, for example, to make snide comments when those who are not in agreement are addressing their shot . . . and, for example, to not let it go when the other members of the group ask them to?

'tis the time we live in

- - - - - -

What would you do if that same person always touches his ball on the green, to line it up, without placing a mark?  & always has, as do others he regularly plays with

- - - - - -

Is it possible to do anything about that, and still keep it a friendly game?

For the sake of ready Golf, during rounds that are not being used for handicapping purposes and there is no bets involved- I will not mark my ball on the green, just leave it on green (as long as not in someones line). When it is time to put I will just spin in place to get my arrow lined up.
I do the same thing in scrambles when we use my ball.

If someone has an issue and wants me to mark it, they just need to ask.

As far as politics. Left or Right, Love it or hate it, I don't show up to the course to listen to it. 
You want to rant, do so at the bar.
Keep your thoughts on politics, religion, climate change, and your wife to yourself!

On 9/8/2017 at 6:01 PM, Palmer4Ever said:

Our local course recently lost their access to water, and over the course of a couple months the place has dried to the bone. Greens still in great shape (for now), but everything else is hard, dead dirt/ground. (Fantastic for getting those booming drives with the 30+ yards of roll though..)

Since this change in course condition, they have adopted a "lift and place" rule: 1 club length, no closer to the hole, you can lift and place your ball onto any blades of grass or decent patch you can find.

My issue is a playing partner of mine will use this rule to provide himself some severe relief when in a spot of trouble. Say his drive ends up in some reeds/tall plants. He will use this rule to move his ball one clublength away, to a point where these reeds are no longer an issue for his swing.

I have tried telling him he is "improving his lie", but he's either ignoring me or not seeming to care/see the issue.

How would you go about addressing this? As well as, is this actually a rules violation if the course has a policy where you can take this "free" relief? (Note: we are not playing for money, but we do like to still make it a competition, and will refer to a "winner" at the end, so I feel like this has more of an impact than if we were just hacking our way around without a care) 

I play with someone who does something similar. For the record my home course was hit hard this year with an incompetent grounds keeper, who over fertilized and killed 3 greens.
Our league instituted a 2 putt rule on a few greens, since they were fried down to sand!
Our other league rules are winter rules (due to dirt fairways and dry patches) and no loss of distance (just stroke penalty from point of entry).

I play with a person who uses the winter rule to improve his lie from behind bushes and trees.
This same person will improve his lie from a lost ball. Miraculously finding the lost ball and tossing into a fair way.
The point is, I have called the person out for incorrect interpretation of agreed upon rules and this has changed nothing.
This same person will play the game they want no matter what you say, because in the end it is about their result and not you.

Either ignore it or find someone else to play with. 

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

• 1 year later...
On 6/16/2017 at 8:38 AM, Cartboy said:

In a friendly, yet competitive, round claiming to be playing by the rules of golf (except, of course, for those rules anyone cares to waive for themselves :-)), would it be a violation of any rule for a person to engage in a rant (ie political), and chide the other members of the group for not agreeing . . . and, for example, to make snide comments when those who are not in agreement are addressing their shot . . . and, for example, to not let it go when the other members of the group ask them to?

'tis the time we live in

Is it possible to do anything about that, and still keep it a friendly game?

I found reason not to play with that group (about a dozen guys) the rest of last season, but this year they have been bugging me to play with them.  Guess they want my dollars.

Last week I did and had a great time.

Yesterday, the offender was back from his European vacation, and was telling offensive political jokes on the putting clock before we even went out.  Then, in a fitting irony, it was Captain's pick day, and we wound up in the same 3-some.

He started as we were standing on the first tee, "See anyone in that big group of candidates that you like?"

I did not want to spend the next three hours (we play quickly), so put an end to it as best I could.  "Yeah, anyone of them."

It's a shame he just doesn't get it, but he's got that reputation.

Note: This thread is 1705 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!