IGNORED

People suck (drivers v. cyclists)

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2474 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Van driver intentionally tries to run cyclist off the road.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Attempted murder.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

In what world is that kind of behavior OK?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Agreed, the driver should be fired, tarred and feathered, and possibly charged with a crime. 

However, I'm sure he's not the only driver sick of cyclists thinking they own the road. Why was the cyclist riding in the middle of the lane where no one could pass safely? If you can't do the posted speed limit, have some courtesy and acknowledge that the road is (now) meant more for a different mode of transportation. 

Big problem where I'm at, and it's normally someone with "Share the Road" plastered across the back of their cycling jersey. 

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

Driver got sacked. 

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/white-van-man-sacked-after-video-shows-him-swerving-into-cyclist-in-road-rage-clash-a3532586.html

If it were me I would be about 1 or 2 yards from the side. I get why some cyclists take the lane for safety reasons. OTOH that's clearly not a bike friendly road I would have chosen not to take it but there might not have been an alternate route. Lots of questions as to what cyclist is entitled to do but definitely driver is totally in the wrong for doing what he did. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 hour ago, roamin said:

However, I'm sure he's not the only driver sick of cyclists thinking they own the road. Why was the cyclist riding in the middle of the lane where no one could pass safely? If you can't do the posted speed limit, have some courtesy and acknowledge that the road is (now) meant more for a different mode of transportation. 

Center of the road is safer. It looks from the video that the cyclist didn't know there was someone behind him until the driver honked.

Speed limits are limits, not minimums, so you're not required to be at that speed. Just because the road was designed for automobiles doesn't justify that driver's action. He could have just passed once the cyclist moved over without incident. If that cyclist wasn't aware, the driver would have run him off the road, possibly causing serious injury or death.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Well, sure. And a road with a designated bike lane or no cars at all would be even safer. If he didn't know there was someone behind him, that's his fault. Being on a bike doesn't give him the right to be oblivious. 

I don't mean to give the van driver any slack here, if there was ever a reason to run someone down, pull them out of their vehicle and beat them senseless, this is it. Had I been the person filming, I would've immediately been on the phone to the authorities and then to his employer. 

Everyone understands the meaning of the word, "limit". I never said the cyclist couldn't (or shouldn't) be on the road. But he had to be aware that he wasn't going the speed limit, and that there would be multi-thousand pound vehicles coming up behind him that would be. Whether he was within his rights or not won't help him when he's splattered all over the asphalt. 

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

• Administrator

I agree with the sentiment @roamin is expressing.

While some high 90% of the blame is on the driver of the van, the bike rider was not completely faultless or completely un-dick-like.

Who knows how long the truck had been behind the guy on the bike, too. Long enough for someone to sense something and hand film it with their phone, it appears.

For all we know there was a mile of cars behind the biker and he'd been steadfastly refusing to pull over and let a string of cars pass.

Still doesn't even approach justifying anything close to what the van driver did, but…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

17 hours ago, roamin said:

Agreed, the driver should be fired, tarred and feathered, and possibly charged with a crime. 

Big problem where I'm at, and it's normally someone with "Share the Road" plastered across the back of their cycling jersey. 

In most states, the law requires cyclists to ride on the road unless they're on a designated trail.

fwiw, I consider trails to be just as dangerous as the road for genuine fitness/road cyclists.  Baby strollers, dogs, skaters, and those just out for a Sunday stroll on a 12' wide trail do not mix well with a cyclist moving at 20+ mph.  Extremely dangerous for all.

In David's bag....

48 minutes ago, David in FL said:

In most states, the law requires cyclists to ride on the road unless they're on a designated trail.

fwiw, I consider trails to be just as dangerous as the road for genuine fitness/road cyclists.  Baby strollers, dogs, skaters, and those just out for a Sunday stroll on a 12' wide trail do not mix well with a cyclist moving at 20+ mph.  Extremely dangerous for all.

I wasn't suggesting he ride in the grass beside the road, although I'd argue he would have a lesser chance of getting hit by a car there. :-) 

I say more power to anyone with stones big enough to ride on a road without the protection of seatbelts, crumple zones, and airbags.

I was simply pointing out that the cyclist's own actions likely contributed to the severity of the situation. The moral high ground does you no good when you're dead. 

Jake

That driver should get criminal charges. Period.

I've got 2 close co-workers that are big into the cycling, so what I'm about to say I have said openly to them before.

Cycling is dangerous. And I'm sorry, but the whole "share the road" thing is effing bull squat. Just because a road was put in and you "also paid for it with your taxes" doesn't mean it was "meant to be shared." It was built to facilitate traffic, or to connect remote locations (for vehicular traffic). You going 20 mph on your bike is a HAZARD to YOU and EVERYONE ELSE on the road. I absolutely HATE having to drive around cyclists because it scares the crap out of me that I'm going to crash head on into another car. Or frankly, I'm afraid I'm going to hit you and do irreparable damage to you and be sued by you or your family. I don't know if you're a gold medal winning cyclist who can stay in a 6-inch span or if you're a "weaver." So I have to make room for worst case, which means I'm almost all the way in the on-coming lane in my slow ass pickup truck.

There's few thing I feel this strongly about. Cyclists should get off the road.

I'm sympathetic, because I know what it means to have a good fitness hobby and frankly cycling would do WONDERS for me, but I have decided not to pursue it because it's UNSAFE FOR EVERYONE. You CAN"T argue with that.

It's the fact that you're going 20 mph (or less, usually) that is unsafe. Motorcyclists going the speed limit, yes we should share the road - but they aren't going 20 mph. 

Sorry if this upsets some people. 

But I reiterate, that driver intentionally trying to knock that cyclist off the road should get major jail time, for attempted murder, in my opinion.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

21 hours ago, roamin said:

I wasn't suggesting he ride in the grass beside the road, although I'd argue he would have a lesser chance of getting hit by a car there. :-) 

I say more power to anyone with stones big enough to ride on a road without the protection of seatbelts, crumple zones, and airbags.

I was simply pointing out that the cyclist's own actions likely contributed to the severity of the situation. The moral high ground does you no good when you're dead. 

More like "brains small enough".  I have always felt it was stupid to put yourself at risk by riding a bike on a road like this.

4 hours ago, jkelley9 said:

I've got 2 close co-workers that are big into the cycling, so what I'm about to say I have said openly to them before.

Cycling is dangerous. And I'm sorry, but the whole "share the road" thing is effing bull squat. Just because a road was put in and you "also paid for it with your taxes" doesn't mean it was "meant to be shared." It was built to facilitate traffic, or to connect remote locations (for vehicular traffic). You going 20 mph on your bike is a HAZARD to YOU and EVERYONE ELSE on the road. I absolutely HATE having to drive around cyclists because it scares the crap out of me that I'm going to crash head on into another car. Or frankly, I'm afraid I'm going to hit you and do irreparable damage to you and be sued by you or your family. I don't know if you're a gold medal winning cyclist who can stay in a 6-inch span or if you're a "weaver." So I have to make room for worst case, which means I'm almost all the way in the on-coming lane in my slow ass pickup truck.

I'm sympathetic, because I know what it means to have a good fitness hobby and frankly cycling would do WONDERS for me, but I have decided not to pursue it because it's UNSAFE FOR EVERYONE. You CAN"T argue with that.

It's the fact that you're going 20 mph (or less, usually) that is unsafe. Motorcyclists going the speed limit, yes we should share the road - but they aren't going 20 mph. 

But I reiterate, that driver intentionally trying to knock that cyclist off the road should get major jail time, for attempted murder, in my opinion.

Here here!!

Like I said in @nevets88 blog post, my buddy's niece was purposely hit by a pickup truck in Portland, Oregon. She was badly injured. She is not a mouthy or a willful girl. The guys in the truck vocalized their disdain of cyclists, that simple. They were never caught.

7 hours ago, jkelley9 said:

Where should cyclists ride?

Or should that particular mode of transportation simply be banned because you don't like it?

BTW, it's worth remembering, that cyclists are motorists too...

In David's bag....

9 hours ago, jkelley9 said:

No, not in cities.

Most cyclists obey the rules, don't fly down dense areas at 20mph (It's not easy to get to that speed for many, especially sustained) and are looking to realize the environmental, convenience, quality of life, economic and health benefits of cycling. If all cyclists were to get off the road, well, lets say in NYC, where there were 14 million trips on Citi Bike in 2016 alone, that's not counting people who own their own bikes, you'd have a more congested and polluted city. Below is an image capture of bike stations from my bike share app and there is major expansion under way.

Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 6.21.25 PM.png 

Imho, cyclists get a bad rap from the few who flaunt the rules, ride like maniacs, run red lights, salmon, ride with self entitlement who are no different than your lane weaving, tailgating, stop sign running, lane cutting, texting, weekend racing, blind you w/high beams, last second highway exiting, road raging drivers out there. Add to that the high moral ground they think they have because they are cyclists - I've run into to folks like this and have eyerolled my eyes to death.

I drive and cycle (not both at the same time) on a daily basis. Have gotten out of the car to snag a bike share and have used bike share to get to the car, ride in both dense cities and open countryside so I think I have a good perspective of both driver and cyclist and we'll have to respectfully disagree on this.

Steve

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

Where should cyclists ride?

Or should that particular mode of transportation simply be banned because you don't like it?

BTW, it's worth remembering, that cyclists are motorists too...

Wrong, the definition of motorist is - the driver of an automobile.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/motorist

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/motorist

46 minutes ago, Shooting29 said:

Wrong, the definition of motorist is - the driver of an automobile.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/motorist

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/motorist

Let's try again...

Virtually every cyclist also drives a car.  Generally far more than they ride a bike too.  They're familiar with both sides of the equation.

In David's bag....

Note: This thread is 2474 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!