Jump to content
JCrane

Suffer from Back Pain? Try this.

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

One of the biggest challenges that our bodies have to deal with  is compression. Compression occurs naturally as gravity constantly presses down on us over the years and then some of us,like me, have engaged in activities such as squatting with heavy weights which adds to the compression. It all came to a head some twenty five years ago when I had a herniated disk in my back. Sometimes I could barely sit up when it was acting up, much less play golf. It was constant trips to the Chiropractor for relief.  There was talk of surgery, but that was not an option for me. I had heard too many horror stories to go that rout. I began to look around at different therapies. I tried a lot of different things over the years, but nothing seemed to help. Then one day a friend of mine told me about inversion. At that time it was inversion boots. I put a bar up in my closet, put the boots on and swung up over the bar. After about ten minutes, I came down, dizzy and disappointed and put them away for the next six months.

During the next six months I learned the value of slow progression, that is starting slow and adding on slowly over a period of time. I decided to apply this to inversion.I inverted for just 30 seconds. I felt fine. I inverted for 30 seconds every day for a week without a problem. The next week I did a minute and added a minute to each week going forward. After about a month I began to notice a difference.After about six months, the muscles in my back had stretched out and then my spine began to lengthen. I felt pops in my back as the synovial fluid released gases. After nine months my back problems were gone, never to return and that was twenty five years ago.

Today we have inversion tables which I use a few times a week to keep my spine stretched out and to counteract the effects of gravity. This is not for everyone, but for those who want to try it, I suggest starting with just 30 seconds and slowly working your way up. It worked for me and it might work for you. Good Luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I'm not a doctor, but I believe this is valid. I wouldn't recommend full 180 degree inversion for any length of time but the inversion table things nowadays seem to have a pretty sound reasoning behind them. I've actually been meaning to try one as I feel some of my early back pain is a result of constant compression, as you've said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Might give this a try. I am 29 and 270lbs so I've got plenty of extra "gravity" on me. Last two years in a row right around the end of March I've had the lower back issues and it really ruined my golf trips. Almost like clockwork, it was 3 weeks of stiffness and pain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 hours ago, SLAMGolf said:

Do pull ups.  Go deep.  Hang.  Then pull.  No boots required.

not at all the same. Pull ups strengthen the shoulders and arms, but do nothing for stretching the back muscles and creating decompression

Thanks for your input  

1 hour ago, jkelley9 said:

I'm not a doctor, but I believe this is valid. I wouldn't recommend full 180 degree inversion for any length of time but the inversion table things nowadays seem to have a pretty sound reasoning behind them. I've actually been meaning to try one as I feel some of my early back pain is a result of constant compression, as you've said.

the secret as I learned is to approach this very slowly and yes with the table you do not have to go 180 o%., but be consistent so the back muscles lengthen over time. These days I just hop on the table for maybe 5 min or so just to keep my spine stretched out

thanks for your input 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kpaulhus said:

Might give this a try. I am 29 and 270lbs so I've got plenty of extra "gravity" on me. Last two years in a row right around the end of March I've had the lower back issues and it really ruined my golf trips. Almost like clockwork, it was 3 weeks of stiffness and pain. 

I can relate to the pain and nothing motivates more than pain. Even when the pain goes away, the condition stays and returns later on. We have to treat the condition. Go at this very slowly, just a little bit at a time. You will feel it in your back right away. Maybe just invert half way at first. Be consistent, be committed and you will get results. Good luck

Thanks for your input

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I rarely pay much attention to articles addressed here. I realize that I definitely should however. I am 75 years old, still have fairly good flexibility. I used to get severe muscle spasms in my back to the point I felt paralyzed. It usually occurred suddenly whenever I made a certain move. I could not stand straight, and if sitting in a soft chair, I could not get up. I had to sit with my back against a wall. If I did manage to stand up, I did so very quickly in spite of the very sharp pain, but once I started to walk, it would go away after a few minutes.  This occurred  2 or 3 times a year and lasted for weeks.

I went to the Naval Hospital and was told I had arthritis in my back. Muscle relaxers did no good. They referred me to an outside clinic where I underwent stretching exercises, was placed on a rack, and underwent training with a therapist. It provided only temporary relief.

What did work......Chondroitin, Glucosmine, MSM, tablets!  I have not an episode now in over 6 years!  Placebo effect?  Maybe.  Swinging a golf club in my back yard daily dozens of swings at a time, frequently but in short sessions of maybe 15 minutes probably helped as well.  I do not exercise much other than that, but do have a hanging bar over my bathroom door frame for pull ups, and placed on the floor for sit ups, but I am not fanatical about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have an inversion table. Yes, it definitely works, and yes, it's best to go slow. My only problem is that it put pressure on my ankles so I needed to wrap them before "locking in". I used it for quite awhile.

Anyway, joint supplements and inversion didn't work to reduce the thickening of my spine. I had a laminectomy last year because of the tremendous pain in my legs due to pinched nerves. Wonderful! Now, I go to my chiropractor once a month for a tune-up consisting of an adjustment and spinal decompression. At age 72, this keeps me swinging!  -Marv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, MarvChamp said:

I have an inversion table. Yes, it definitely works, and yes, it's best to go slow. My only problem is that it put pressure on my ankles so I needed to wrap them before "locking in". I used it for quite awhile.

Anyway, joint supplements and inversion didn't work to reduce the thickening of my spine. I had a laminectomy last year because of the tremendous pain in my legs due to pinched nerves. Wonderful! Now, I go to my chiropractor once a month for a tune-up consisting of an adjustment and spinal decompression. At age 72, this keeps me swinging!  -Marv

Hi Marv thanks for sharing this. I think you pointed out correctly that inversion does not work for every problem, but I am glad you tried it and at least you know instead of wondering later. I have met so many people who head to surgery first, many times with poor results. I had to put extra foam padding on my ankles back when I used the boots, so I can relate to that.  I am glad you found something that works and I can relate to your pain

Thanks for your input

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Hacker James said:

I rarely pay much attention to articles addressed here. I realize that I definitely should however. I am 75 years old, still have fairly good flexibility. I used to get severe muscle spasms in my back to the point I felt paralyzed. It usually occurred suddenly whenever I made a certain move. I could not stand straight, and if sitting in a soft chair, I could not get up. I had to sit with my back against a wall. If I did manage to stand up, I did so very quickly in spite of the very sharp pain, but once I started to walk, it would go away after a few minutes.  This occurred  2 or 3 times a year and lasted for weeks.

I went to the Naval Hospital and was told I had arthritis in my back. Muscle relaxers did no good. They referred me to an outside clinic where I underwent stretching exercises, was placed on a rack, and underwent training with a therapist. It provided only temporary relief.

What did work......Chondroitin, Glucosmine, MSM, tablets!  I have not an episode now in over 6 years!  Placebo effect?  Maybe.  Swinging a golf club in my back yard daily dozens of swings at a time, frequently but in short sessions of maybe 15 minutes probably helped as well.  I do not exercise much other than that, but do have a hanging bar over my bathroom door frame for pull ups, and placed on the floor for sit ups, but I am not fanatical about it.

That is great that you found something that worked. I can relate to your pain. Maybe by sharing this someone will try what you shared and get the relief you got. There is no one answer where one size fits all. I doubt if it was a placebo effect. I think you found something your body needed. Besides inversion, I also do Yoga and take a lot of supplements in the form of herbs, Treating the body holistically is the ideal approach.I am glad you freed yourself from pain keep up your routine 

thanks for your input

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, dano0726 said:

+1 on the daily use of an inversion table

I can not emphasize enough to take it slow. Maybe a minute or so. I know it sounds stupid, but your body has to adjust to it. The blood moves into the head. The muscles protect themselves by what is called "the stretch Reflex " they actually contract to protect themselves, so do it every day and start adding time and I think you will be very satisfied.

I know a Chiropractor who is making adjustments while his patients are on the table.

Why don't you post your progress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are only 2 things that I now perform to eliminate lower back tightness and SI joint pain -- the inversion table were I hang for 15-30 seconds and return upright (maybe 10x) is the first. The 2nd thing was returning to lifting weights to strengthen my hamstrings, quads, glutes, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, dano0726 said:

There are only 2 things that I now perform to eliminate lower back tightness and SI joint pain -- the inversion table were I hang for 15-30 seconds and return upright (maybe 10x) is the first. The 2nd thing was returning to lifting weights to strengthen my hamstrings, quads, glutes, etc. 

Congratulations glad you found something that works. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...