IGNORED

Different loft fairway wood?

Note: This thread is 2437 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi, This is kind of apples and oranges but here it is.

A lot of you know, I mainly carry a 4-wood as my lone fairway wood. I typically hit this club between 220-230 off the ground so we'll say 225 yards. My 3-hybrid which was 205 yards is now creeping closer to 220... I think the gap is getting a little too close. My 3h and 4w have pretty much the same shaft in them so that isn't the problem.

Is it time to finally go to the 3-wood? It would be the same model as I currently play, which is on clearance now? It might just be a mental thing I don't know.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Funny, I was thinking the opposite thing recently, since my GameGolf tells me I hit my 3-wood and 5-wood about the same distance (191, 190 yards).  However, that may be due to that many of my shots with the GameGolf and 3-wood were poor shots.  I want to hit a few more good ones.

That having been said, you're a better player than I am, so that isn't your concern.

My concern in your shoes is one I should be looking at for me also:  would you hit a 3-wood further than your 4-wood?  Don't say "yes" just yet:  a 3-wood hits the ball lower than a 4-wood, and (IIRC) there was evidence that at particular swing speeds, one might hit the 4-wood further than the 3- or 5-. 

That also having been said, if you're hitting a 3-hybrid 220 yards (for contrast, my driver caps out lower than that;  I'm not doubting your statement at all, just showing we have vastly different swing characteristics) and your 4-wood only five yards further, yes, you may want to check out a 3-wood.  And since it doesn't look like you would need to get a 5-wood also, this can be a relatively easy swap-in.  Is there a way you can try their 3-wood (perhaps on a launch monitor) to see if you do hit it further?

I see their EX-10 is available in both 3 and 3+ (side question, why not call it a 2-wood?).  I'll bet from your other characteristics that you'd hit one of those past the 4-wood by a good measure. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

4 hours ago, Shindig said:

Funny, I was thinking the opposite thing recently, since my GameGolf tells me I hit my 3-wood and 5-wood about the same distance (191, 190 yards).  However, that may be due to that many of my shots with the GameGolf and 3-wood were poor shots.  I want to hit a few more good ones.

That having been said, you're a better player than I am, so that isn't your concern.

My concern in your shoes is one I should be looking at for me also:  would you hit a 3-wood further than your 4-wood?  Don't say "yes" just yet:  a 3-wood hits the ball lower than a 4-wood, and (IIRC) there was evidence that at particular swing speeds, one might hit the 4-wood further than the 3- or 5-. 

That also having been said, if you're hitting a 3-hybrid 220 yards (for contrast, my driver caps out lower than that;  I'm not doubting your statement at all, just showing we have vastly different swing characteristics) and your 4-wood only five yards further, yes, you may want to check out a 3-wood.  And since it doesn't look like you would need to get a 5-wood also, this can be a relatively easy swap-in.  Is there a way you can try their 3-wood (perhaps on a launch monitor) to see if you do hit it further?

I see their EX-10 is available in both 3 and 3+ (side question, why not call it a 2-wood?).  I'll bet from your other characteristics that you'd hit one of those past the 4-wood by a good measure. 

@Shindig I was looking into the EX-9 Fairway woods actually. They are $150 on clearance, have to get a stock model but that's ok with me, I'll just put a bigger grip on it I suppose.

The answer is, I don't know how far I hit a 3-wood. I haven't carried one in a couple years. But I seem to remember with my old XRail I hit it around 230 ish but my hybrid was closer to 205 then. 

It's kind of a Catch-22 though. If I go to 3-wood, I have to play 3-hybrid which takes playing with an extra wedge out. 

It might just be a contact issue though... Maybe I can try to sort it out without getting a new club. Or just put the 4-wood on closet time. I don't really need it at my home course.

FWIW, I do have a Tour Edge Hot Launch 4-wood that I hit the crap out of. The only issue is, It's Regular Flex.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

37 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

@Shindig I was looking into the EX-9 Fairway woods actually. They are $150 on clearance, have to get a stock model but that's ok with me, I'll just put a bigger grip on it I suppose.

Clearance at your store or might I get in on the action?  I could get the one I want and cut it if needed.  I think my fairway woods are -.5" ... my irons are... at last measure.

It's kind of a Catch-22 though. If I go to 3-wood, I have to play 3-hybrid which takes playing with an extra wedge out. 

Why?  Right now, if you could hit your 4-wood 10-15 yards further, you wouldn't need to change your setup.  You wouldn't keep the 3 & 4, would you, with the 4 and 3H working interchangeably at the moment? 

FWIW, I do have a Tour Edge Hot Launch 4-wood that I hit the crap out of. The only issue is, It's Regular Flex.

Yeah, I have a 4-wood I loved, but the flex is wrong for me too :-( 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I would replace the 4-wood with the 3-wood. 

For gapping purposes, I'd have to play Driver, 3-wood, 3-hybrid at the top end. On my home course, I can almost do without the 4-wood or 3-hybrid and just carry one or the other (I don't have a lot of 4-wood shots even on the par-5s because I "lay-up" on all of them). With carrying 1 or the other, it gives me room for five wedges, but puts me in no man's land outside of 220-225 yards.

The reason for considering an alternative fairway wood is, I'd like to be able to hit a 235-245 yard shot into the 9th at my home course, instead of hitting a club that I hope gets there, or worse, the old driver off the deck.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

24 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

If possible, get some launch monitor data comparing your current EX9 4W and the 3W. This touches on the old 3W vs. 4W debate. If you can launch the 3W decently, you should be able to pick up some yardage.

Or, you might try the Exotics EX9 Long 3, or the 3W Beta - both of these give a little extra reach for someone with high clubhead speed. (Not sure if you can find these on sale yet.)

Another thing  you might do: Go on eBay and find a Matrix Black Tie 75M4 shaft, and try it in your HotL 4W - you might find a superclub that would increase your legend in upstate NY! :dance: (it appears this shaft is no longer a production model, but you can get similar Matrix shafts online for about $60.)

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

17 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

I would replace the 4-wood with the 3-wood. 

For gapping purposes, I'd have to play Driver, 3-wood, 3-hybrid at the top end. On my home course, I can almost do without the 4-wood or 3-hybrid and just carry one or the other (I don't have a lot of 4-wood shots even on the par-5s because I "lay-up" on all of them). With carrying 1 or the other, it gives me room for five wedges, but puts me in no man's land outside of 220-225 yards.

The reason for considering an alternative fairway wood is, I'd like to be able to hit a 235-245 yard shot into the 9th at my home course, instead of hitting a club that I hope gets there, or worse, the old driver off the deck.

Right, so I think the issue is to try to find a club you hit further than your 4-wood (that isn't driver off the deck or tee), if such a club exists.  I think the launch monitor information for the various degree 3-woods is the answer here.

Also, side note:  if you hit your 4-wood well, and I think you do, why don't you use it as a second shot on par-5s?  What distance are you laying up to?

-- Michael | My swing! 

Here is a different thought.  I carry a 2 wood.  I can't hit my big headed driver off the fairway, and my 4 wood gets me around 230 yards.  I won't lie to you; it isn't an easy club to hit, kinda like a 1 iron.  But a well struck ball will carry out around 200 yards and on a dry level (or downgrade) fairway will roll out to 250.  It is also a great punch tool as you just swing normal and the ball won't get more than 5 feet of the ground.

7 hours ago, Shindig said:

Right, so I think the issue is to try to find a club you hit further than your 4-wood (that isn't driver off the deck or tee), if such a club exists.  I think the launch monitor information for the various degree 3-woods is the answer here.

Also, side note:  if you hit your 4-wood well, and I think you do, why don't you use it as a second shot on par-5s?  What distance are you laying up to?

On #1 we have a ditch about 80 yards short of the green so usually to 100-110 yards. On #9 I get as close to the green as I can, I usually hit a 3-hybrid to around 40-50 yards. #10 is the same as 1. At #12 usually up the right just short of the no carts allowed sign (30 yards from green)

What's in Shane's Bag?     

1 hour ago, onthehunt526 said:

On #1 we have a ditch about 80 yards short of the green so usually to 100-110 yards. On #9 I get as close to the green as I can, I usually hit a 3-hybrid to around 40-50 yards. #10 is the same as 1. At #12 usually up the right just short of the no carts allowed sign (30 yards from green)

I hope I'm not side-tracking this too much, but I think this makes the case for a 3-wood (or a 3+ if you can hit it, I probably can't).  For #1 and #10 you wouldn't really change what you do much, but on #9 and #12 you'd have a shorter pitch, possibly on.

Where else on the course do you tend to hit your 4-wood now (especially that a 3H wouldn't work)?

-- Michael | My swing! 

Most of the time, not much... Occasionally off the tee on the 5th when its downwind... Which we really don't get a southwind very much... To keep it fit it between the cedars and the fairway bunker.

Lately, I either choke down an inch on the driver or hit 3-hybrid. 

If #16 is straight into the prevailing wind. I may hit 4-wood, but it's mostly 3-hybrid or 4-iron, because short is better than long.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

I say go for the 3 wood if you don't feel the money is prohibitive. It'll improve your gapping, and it'll be one less thing to worry about. The only other option I see is to find a hybrid with a little more loft or a shorter shaft. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

1 minute ago, jamo said:

I say go for the 3 wood if you don't feel the money is prohibitive. It'll improve your gapping, and it'll be one less thing to worry about. The only other option I see is to find a hybrid with a little more loft or a shorter shaft. 

I thought about option #2 with this as well. I have the 3, 4, and 5 hybrids, I usually only carry the 3-hybrid, (I'm hitting my 4-iron very well around 200-205 carry). 

The third option was to put the 3-iron in, but I like to have a hybrid in the bag for light to medium rough, so the grass doesn't grab the hosel.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

I currently play a 12.75 degree 3 wood and on average fly it 268 - I can choke down on it and hit a fade which drops the distance down to 242. A lot of the courses I play have par 3s that are 230-250 in distance. So I have been considering getting a 4 wood of sorts to have a full swing 235 club. Getting too old to try and muscle the 2 iron 240 these days. 

Edited by ChillyDip69

31 minutes ago, ChillyDip69 said:

I currently play a 12.75 degree 3 wood and on average fly it 268 - I can choke down on it and hit a fade which drops the distance down to 242. A lot of the courses I play have par 3s that are 230-250 in distance. So I have been considering getting a 4 wood of sorts to have a full swing 235 club. Getting too old to try and muscle the 2 iron 240 these days. 

That's mainly why I stopped carrying the 2 and 3 iron, I can still hit a 2 and 3-iron but the gapping was too close.

Update: Hit some EX9 3-woods a few days ago... The difference between the 3 and 4 wood was enough to put a 3-wood in bag.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

46 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

Update: Hit some EX9 3-woods a few days ago... The difference between the 3 and 4 wood was enough to put a 3-wood in bag.

Great;  let us know how it goes in future rounds.

I think my too-similar-distance of 3W and 5W, on the other hand, was not hitting the 3W well.  In my last round (small sample size), it very clearly went further than the 5W.  Time will tell which of my two small sample sizes was accurate, if either.

-- Michael | My swing! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/25/2017 at 11:19 PM, Shindig said:

Great;  let us know how it goes in future rounds.

I think my too-similar-distance of 3W and 5W, on the other hand, was not hitting the 3W well.  In my last round (small sample size), it very clearly went further than the 5W.  Time will tell which of my two small sample sizes was accurate, if either.

Well... It will definitely take a few times out (range sessions and playing) to get used to this 3 wood in the bag. 

Another thought was to take keep the 4-wood in, (I still have it), and take the 3-hybrid out and put in the 4-hybrid instead, and play 5 wedges (I NEVER use a 60° though.)

But I need to put a bigger grip my 3-wood on it (I bought it gently used)... And give it 5 rounds.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

A little late to the party but the 3 wood I am looking a is adjustable from 14° to 17°. This club will eliminate 3 clubs for me. I play a standard 3 wood on the blacks and the 4 Wood on days I play whites. This will keep continuity in the bag and be available, instead  of forgetting to swap out.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Note: This thread is 2437 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!