IGNORED

Most "Heroic" Shot You Have Made

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 2464 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Time for everyone to brag a bit.  We have heard the story of making an ace to halve a hole and many just saw Jordan Spieth hole out a bunker shot to win.  What was your hero shot?  I think I know what @Club Rat's might be, then again, maybe not.  I will need to think about this a bit, as I have had soooooo many.  ;-)

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The most heroic one personally isnt so much due to the difficulty of the shot, but rather the circumstances in which I executed the shot.

I was having a very solid round and knew I would be close to breaking 80. On the 18th tee, I knew that getting a 5 was all I needed to shoot a 79 and break 80 for the first time in my life. The hole was a pretty simple 340 yd par 4, slight dogleg right and a decent amount uphill from the tee to the green. Pulled my drive into the left rough, was under some trees so didnt have a shot at the green, used a 5 iron to punch back out into the fairway. Middle of the fairway about 60-75 yds out on a slight uphill lie to an elevated green hitting my 3rd, I knew I had to get on the green and 2 putt to get a 79. Took my 56 wedge and pitched it to 6 inches for the easy tap in par for my lowest round ever 78 and first time breaking 80.

I have had a couple of chip ins, 1 hole out from a bunker, and a couple 30+ feet putts, but the shot I just described is the most heroic for me since I was under pressure for breaking 80 and I was able to execute. (there have been countless times I have missed the green from 60 yds so it wasnt a guarantee that I'd even get on the green from that distance)

Edited by klineka
  • Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Last year the Michigan Publinx Senior Golf Association was playing the Indiana version of our club in the inaugural "Challenge Cup" competition.  Team Michigan was leading going into the last day singles matches.  I was not playing very well and found myself 2 down after the 11th hole.  My opponent hit a good drive in the fairway of the 12th hole while I pushed my effort right and was blocked by some tall trees.  I wanted to see what my opponent would do and fortunately I thought to take a GPS reading that showed he was away.  He hit the green in regulation and now it was my turn.  I took a mighty lash with an ancient Taylor Made "Cleek" and hoisted my ball up & over the trees to the green.  Two putts later we halved the hole and from there I did not lose another hole, closing out the match 3 & 2.

• Upvote 3

Brian Kuehn

Maybe not heroic, but I did think outside the box and it worked. I was playing the 9th hole at Eagle Green GC in Denton, TX (RIP, EG... it got subdivided).

This was an uphill 500-yard par 5 to a terraced green, similar to No. 9 at The Country Club in Brookline, Massachusetts.

I pulled my drive into the left rough, and hit a 5W which put me 10 yds. short of the twin spectacle fairway bunkers at the top of the hill. I had 50 yards to go to the flagstick.

A long hitter in our group then put a 3W shot on the back fringe (blue ball), and I hit a thin wedge that landed by the cup and released about 10 feet forward onto the upper tier (red ball).7iPutt.jpg.34142e60c71ab45ab7a05e57cee8ff3e.jpg

Big hitter strokes a gentle putt, which rolls down the terrace and off the green, into the fairway.

I take a 7 iron, and hit it with a putting stroke. The ball checks up at the edge of the terrace, so gravity is carrying it down the terrace, rather than force of the club. Ball rolls into cup for a birdie.

Edited by WUTiger
  • Upvote 2

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

33th Hole of my club´s scratch championship final. I was 2 under and 4 to go. Par 5, my competitor hit the back of the green with his 2nd shot, and i hit the front bunker with my 3rd shoot. If i loose that hole the match will be dormy and almost over. I was closer to the hole than him but he let me play first, big mistake...

... i Holed it ! and with the pressure he 3 putted. Only 1 under a 3 to play. We went to extra holes and i won it on the 2nd one.

• Upvote 4

A 240 3w second shot on a 520yd par 5 literally rested on the edge of cup. Three others were with me and saw everything. Best 3w shot I've ever hit. Landed short on the fringe, popped up on the green, and rolled to the pin. 1 inch more and I'd have had my first and only albatross. At the time I was competing in a tournament, and it was on the 5th hole, I was already 1 over, brought me to -1, and carded three birdies and one bogey to win the tournament.  Completely turned my round around. Since it was  amature, I only got a (pure silver) trophy and a set of Ping G10's. 3-people.

Edited by Apoc81
Editing

Don't know about "heroic," but years back I was playing solo at Wycliffe GC in Lake Worth, Fl. Played the back nine first. When I got to #1, they let a foursome tee off in front of me. I hit my drive, and the foursome saw me behind them when they were on the green, so they stepped to the side and waved me on. I had 182 yards, four iron.

Holed it. The only time I think I've ever heard a gallery applaud one of my shots. :-D

• Upvote 2

Every time my ball is used in a scramble, I consider it a heroic effort :banana:.

But seriously...I holed-out a wedge for an albatross years ago in a bachelor-party scramble.  The groom-to-be scooped me up and carried me all the way to the green haha.  We used a "skirt" to hit from the red tee's on the short par 5, but it still counted as a "2".  That was fun!

Edited by Let it Fly
Added to original comment to contribute to thread
  • Upvote 1

- Bill

Not sure if it is heroic or not, but one of the better shots I can think of besides chip-ins from greenside and such.  I was playing my practice round before a Pro-Am for one of the mini tours in North Dakota.  It was the 2nd hole, dogleg right par 5.  Its really not a driver off the tee hole, as you need about 240 yards to the bend, and then its about 260 or so in from there.  It was only the 2nd hole, so I thought I would try to make a score on this hole so I tried a cut driver and you guessed it, the damn thing went straight which is a lateral hazard.  Dropped my ball out of the hazard, hit a 200 or so yard shot to leave me a nice 60* wedge about 60 yards out.  I hit the wedge, it checked up and rolled into the cup for birdie...for having to take a penalty and ending up with birdie, I will take it! 

My ball was over the green and close to a tree trunk. It was close enough that I could not hit the ball even close toward the direction of the green. So I intentionally banked the shot off the tree, onto the green (which was behind me), about six feet from the hole. Made the putt for par. I was worried that the ball would deflect into my club or my body but it didn't. 

Edited by Aguirre
  • Upvote 2

"Witty golf quote."

Off the tee I hit a horrible slice and the ball ended up on the far end of the adjacent fairway very close to a ravine. I guesstimated where my green would be and hit a great shot over the trees. The ball landed on the green. It was a six foot putt and I made it. So it was a birdie after the most terrible slice.

Edited by arturo28mx
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator

I don't recall any. ;-)

If forced, I'd say I was one up playing the 18th. I hit a good drive into the left-center of the fairway. Hitting first, I had to carry the ball 240 over a wide creek to an elevated green. I carried it 245 and the ball sat leaving me a 20-footer for eagle.

That my opponent then shanked his iron… didn't change the fact that I'd pulled off a good shot to seal the win. Made $10 that day, woo! :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I was down coming to the tee.  My opponent laced a five wood into the correct gap for the hole.  I came up with my 17 hybrid and mishit to a position totally blocked by a large oak.  My only choice at getting near the green was a sweeping huge  hook starting directly at a hazard and having to make it under the tree.  I was maybe 225-230 to the center par four.  Somehow I struck a low rising hooking shot perfectly landing on the front and finishing about fifteen or twenty feet.

The thing that made it one of the best shots I ever hit was having to start it over Impossibly far right and hook it back and my whole swing has been built to avoid hooking.  I've dropped a ball and tried to repeat it many times and hit a hard straight shot into the hazard every time.

Just because it was so far outside my normal realm it was one of the best I have made.

• Upvote 1

Background: I am a fairly poor greenside bunker player, as I have a tendency to take too much ball and send the ball flying over the green.

My hero shot is when I find myself in a greenside bunker above the hole, with a downhill lie (e.g. back of the bunker), when the green slopes away from me and there is a pond/lake beyond, and I still take the shot with a big swing on the off chance that I won't skull the ball and will manage to get it and keep it on the green (close to the hole optional). Once in a zillion times, it actually works!  :dance: But, I'll keep trying... ;-)

• Upvote 1

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

It feels pretty heroic when you drive or reach a green in one. The least heroic feeling is when you do that but don't make birdie.

Every year I put together a tournament for about 12-16 buddies.  We do a Captain's Choice format.  Anyways, in year #1 my group was on the 18th hole and everyone else was standing around watching.  The first two guys in our group missed the 35 footer for birdie.  I walked up and sunk the putt, and everyone went nuts.  It was a pretty cool feeling, and actually ended up being the winning shot as we won by 1 stroke.

Best shot I've ever hit was holing a 3 iron from 235 out of the pinestraw for an Albatross. 

I am a relatively high handicap golfer that averages about 20 rounds/year so I sometimes take chances because I know I won't be playing again for at least another week, so what the hell.  Last year I had 1 successful attempt that stands out as special, if not quite heroic.  Playing with my grandson on a South Jersey course with the typical waste areas and pine trees we came to the 18th hole with another twosome consisting of a gentleman and his daughter.  He sliced his drive over next to the pines with a difficult shot to the green.  I sliced mine farther right into the pine trees  with a lie on pine straw.  He hit his second shot first and got the ball to within 20 yards of the green and blurted out "let's see you do that!".  With my 11 year old grandson watching I lined up according to the books to hit a crazy slice though an opening in the trees and then make a 90 degree turn toward the green.  I wound up 3 feet from the hole and made the birdie putt.  My grandson had a smile across his face from ear to ear while I tried to act cool about it but burst out laughing while we loaded the car.

• Upvote 1

Most heroic.....

OK - I was on patrol in Nam with the normal unit.  Mostly uneventful, but we were in close to the battle lines.  Apparently LT had "secret" orders to sneak across the line and gather "critical info".  But he couldn't tell us so we weren't able to assist in the mission.

So, he sneaks out of camp....

A few hours later, Sarge calls us all together.  LT was cornered in a ravine about 2 miles away and we are told by HQ to abandon him due to his mission being unsanctioned.  He knew what he signed up for.

Screw that. Every one of us decides to go on a rescue mission.

I'm not sure why I grabbed my 7 iron instead of my M14....I just had a feeling.....

We fairly well routed the enemy and converged on the ravine.  Turns out that a couple Charlie made it to the LT - one had him in a hostage hold, the other had strong cover and was shooting at us any time we tried to close the last gap.

The guy on the LT was maybe - 160 yards away, there was a small tree in the way by off to the left.  I'd have to expose myself to make the shot, but, HEY, a decent LT is hard to find in this man's war.

I stood up and planted a nice low flying draw straight to the guy's temple, the LT was able to turn and take him down.  But in exposing myself, I took a shot to my thigh from the other combatant before Corporal Greenway made the sniper shot on him.  Lost a lot of blood, but the team took care of me, though 7i got left behind.  They couldn't take the bullet out, too close to a major nerve or something, so I carry it with me now.

I still have a limp, and pain once in a while,  And I set off detectors at the airport.  Though I don't know why lead would do that....

But it was worth it.  I don't think it's heroic or anything.  All the guys would have done it.  It was just my time.

I sure miss that 7i though.

Edited by rehmwa
  • Upvote 1

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 2464 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!