IGNORED

My Swing (klineka)

klineka

• Administrator
3 hours ago, klineka said:

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/klineka/round/1884627

Shot a 75 yesterday at a new course for me.

Kept it in play and pretty much always had either nGIR or GIR.

Man have you gotten better. Evolvr works, eh? :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 months later...

At the reminder of @iacas in a different thread, I have decided to continue this thread and continue to document my swing progress and provide an update on the current status of my swing. I've been fairly consistent with the iron shots lately, but still battling inconsistencies with the driver, some shots will be solid and straight, others will be massive 40-50 yard slices, not quite sure what is going on there, the strikes are in the middle of the clubface, I can see the ball mark after I hit it, but I definitely want to get it figured out before I get out on the course in the spring.

I worked with evolvr for 3 ish months last fall until other debts and the holidays got in the way and I had to stop with evolvr. I am in a much better financial situation now so I do plan on resuming evolvr at some point within the next month or two.

My biggest priority piece when working with evolvr was steady head, and looking at my swing face on today for the first time in months, it doesnt look too bad. Looks like theres a little movement, but not nearly as bad as had been. Still will continue to work on getting this nailed down.

Another priority I had was rotating the back hip and moving my right pocket towards the target during the backswing. In the videos today I noticed I am not doing that at all, so that will be what I work on next, with daily dry swings in my house until I can get to the range again.

As always, any comments, tips or advice is greatly appreciated!

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

• Administrator

I don't agree on Key #1 stuff.

01.jpg

Keys #2 and #3 fall behind as well, as you can see there… along with Key #4:

02.jpg

You've gotta review your Key #1 work. I doubt they would have had you shifting your hips back, turning your torso only 80°, and then not getting your weight forward on the downswing.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

13 hours ago, iacas said:

I don't agree on Key #1 stuff.

Keys #2 and #3 fall behind as well, as you can see there… along with Key #4:

You've gotta review your Key #1 work. I doubt they would have had you shifting your hips back, turning your torso only 80°, and then not getting your weight forward on the downswing.

Erik, thanks for taking a look at my most recent update!

When you say you dont agree on Key #1 stuff, that means that my head is still moving too much, correct? 

I also didnt realize my hips were shifting back as much as they are. I think the feeling of turning my back right pocket towards the target should help minimize some of that shift back. Seeing where you have drawn lines on my swing will also help me know what to look for in future video reviews on my own.

I am going to rewatch the videos in the 5SK Video Thread and start from there, specifically focusing on key #1. 

• Administrator
Just now, klineka said:

Erik, thanks for taking a look at my most recent update!

When you say you dont agree on Key #1 stuff, that means that my head is still moving too much, correct? 

I also didnt realize my hips were shifting back as much as they are. I think the feeling of turning my back right pocket towards the target should help minimize some of that shift back. Seeing where you have drawn lines on my swing will also help me know what to look for in future video reviews on my own.

I am going to rewatch the videos in the 5SK Video Thread and start from there, specifically focusing on key #1. 

Key #1 is not about the head, really, it's about the pivot. You could keep your head locked still in a vice and still make an improper pivot.

The hips shifting back are a Key #1/#2 issue. The reverse axis tilt puts it more, IMO, toward Key #1.

15 minutes ago, iacas said:

Key #1 is not about the head, really, it's about the pivot. You could keep your head locked still in a vice and still make an improper pivot.

The hips shifting back are a Key #1/#2 issue. The reverse axis tilt puts it more, IMO, toward Key #1.

Makes sense about it being the pivot more so than the head. Based on that, I think these two would be great drills from @mvmac for me to start with to work on the reverse axis tilt.

22 minutes ago, klineka said:

Makes sense about it being the pivot more so than the head. Based on that, I think these two would be great drills from @mvmac for me to start with to work on the reverse axis tilt.

Yeah the steady head is just a byproduct of a functional pivot. 

I think the drill with the stick is good, getting the left shoulder to move down and across.

These would also be good. Some players response better with feeling the right side of the body turn back and around while others like the feel it more with the left side. Get in front of a mirror and do the movement correctly. Take note of what you have to feel to do it, what "clicks" the best for you.

• Like 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Yeah it really does start with that centered pivot and then getting weight forward, if you don't and the pivot is wonky then it's almost impossible to not see an impact picture like the one @iacas posted in post #21

Colin P.

So I've been attempting to do some dry motions in my basement without a club and the results have been mixed.

I can definitely get the feeling of moving my right pocket towards the target and keeping my front hip pretty stationary, but my upper body really wants to cave over towards the target the moment I feel my back hip rotating.

Even when doing the wall drill, I can increase the distance between my back hip and the wall via rotation, but my torso wants to fold over forward. Its uncomfortable and I can definitely feel it in my left lat muscle when I try to really push back and try to keep the torso from folding forward. Is that a normal feeling?

I noticed @iacas in one video about hip turn you mentioned how you felt tension in your right leg and hip, I feel all of mine in my left side as a fight to keep it from collapsing forward. Is that normal or am I doing something wrong?

• Administrator
Just now, klineka said:

I can definitely get the feeling of moving my right pocket towards the target and keeping my front hip pretty stationary, but my upper body really wants to cave over towards the target the moment I feel my back hip rotating.

Do it in a mirror and see what feelings you feel when you do it "right."

The front hip doesn't have to stay in place.

1 minute ago, klineka said:

Even when doing the wall drill, I can increase the distance between my back hip and the wall via rotation, but my torso wants to fold over forward. Its uncomfortable and I can definitely feel it in my left lat muscle when I try to really push back and try to keep the torso from folding forward. Is that a normal feeling?

I don't know. Feelings vary.

Try feeling that you're bent over your right hip a little at the top.

1 minute ago, klineka said:

I noticed @iacas in one video about hip turn you mentioned how you felt tension in your right leg and hip, I feel all of mine in my left side as a fight to keep it from collapsing forward. Is that normal or am I doing something wrong?

Feelings are pretty unique to the person.

Just do the right thing and see what it feels like to you. Before evolvr you leaned WAY forward, so feeling a little of the proper axis tilt is going to feel "different" to you for awhile.

3 hours ago, klineka said:

Try to do what I'm doing in that video with the shaft across my chest.

Turn the right pocket back & around and "stretch" the left lat down & across.

Hunter-Mahan-BMW.jpg

Also take the arch out of the lower back, forgot to mention that before, it'll help the pivot.

Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 8.56.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 9.24.14 PM.png

Mike McLoughlin

Here is a picture from my doing dry motions last night in my basement after the response from Erik. I have the feeling of taking the back pocket towards the target, and I am really trying to exaggerate the spine/axis tilt away from the target. Not really concerned with where my arms are going in this picture since I know it changes when I'm holding an actual club. I did a few dry swings choked down about halfway on my putter and they felt solid.

Having the feeling of bending over the right hip helped. One thing I have learned so far is that I have to exaggerate ALOT, basically to the point of doing the opposite motion, before I am able to feel what the proper motion feels like. I will try some dry motions without the arch in the lower back at setup. I will continue to do these dry reps each night until I can get to the range. I might be able to get to the range on Thursday, if not then this weekend for sure. Thanks for the help and advice so far!

Screenshot_20180123-093700.thumb.png.224fe19457761f9091b786f358589d76.png

5 minutes ago, klineka said:

Screenshot_20180123-093700.thumb.png.224fe19457761f9091b786f358589d76.png

You want to round your lower back more. You get that arch in it and your upper spine is almost tilted towards the target.

@mvmac pointed it out, but here's the thread on that:

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

9 minutes ago, billchao said:

You want to round your lower back more. You get that arch in it and your upper spine is almost tilted towards the target.

@mvmac pointed it out, but here's the thread on that:

Thanks for the thread, I can definitely see the change I need to make with the arch now. I'm guessing when I do this its going to feel like I'm really hunched over, even though I'm sure it will look normal on camera. 

I will try a couple of the drills Mike referenced to get the posture down and see how that impacts the axis tilt.

• Administrator

I can't see your feet, but make sure your right foot doesn't roll. Some people will over-extend their right knee, roll their right foot, and do some other weird things. You should be able to do this while retaining a little right knee flex. Fully straightening it is not necessary.

01.jpg

Your hips aren't exactly turning forward here, as you can see.

1 hour ago, klineka said:

Thanks for the thread, I can definitely see the change I need to make with the arch now. I'm guessing when I do this its going to feel like I'm really hunched over, even though I'm sure it will look normal on camera. 

Basically going to feel like you're not bending over from the hips and that your tailbone is tucked under you.

Mike McLoughlin

I will work some dry swings tonight focusing on posture at address as well as the axis still and hip rotation. 

I did just order one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SHJPMEU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 so I will be able to record the video on my phone at the range. Previously I was using a GoPro  on a small tripod that sat on my golf bag. It worked fine for capturing video, but due to the small screen size I had to wait until I got home to look at the video and determine if I was doing a motion correct or not. Now I will be able to review after each swing at the range which should help me progress faster. I'll post an update pic/video later tonight after I do more dry work.

(edited)

After two separate 45 min sessions of dry swings and videos tonight,  this is where I am right now.  I started off really slow and exaggerated, but towards the end it was closer to full speeds. I think it looks a lot closer to a centered pivot than it has before. 

I also worked on posture and minimizing the arch, and that felt fine and relatively easy to implement. When doing multiple swings in a row I just had to reset posture every so often to make sure it was correct.

Im using a driver shaft choked halfway down just so I have something in my hands to simulate a club. I dont have the space to do full swings indoors.

Edited by klineka